Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Chicks

Default Dixie Chicks

Per Nancy's suggestion, I figured I would start a thread to continue the Dixie Chick discussion. I, feel IMO, They were right to express their opinion about Bush.

Default Re: Dixie Chicks

I don't agree with their choice, but they had to right to make it. However, they should also be ready to accept the consequences of their choice and stop whining about how unfair it is that people got mad. Obviously the extreme reaction of the death threats was uncalled for, but most people didn't react that way. Most people simply criticized Maines as she criticized Bush, and/or stopped listening to the Dixie Chicks. And that is their right.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

by AzEaglesFan:
    I 'm a big Dixie Chick fan and I think there were several reason that people came down on them so hard. They were in England I believe, they were on stage and people were there to listen to their music not their politics and they just seemed to egg it on. Then Natalie got into it with Toby Keith and that poured gas on the fire. The two of them went at it for awhile and kept the whole thing in the news. Toby was finally the one that said enough.
    I agree with this - Don has a LOT to say about the things he believes in, but a concert is about the music, not his opinions...unless they're in a song

One thing I thought was that part of the difference could be that Don, from the beginning, has always been out-spoken and critical of certain things...he has a L.O.N.G. history of this and we sort of expect it from him...Natalie's comment seemed to come outta the blue, like she was trying to get a laugh or something...but for whatever reason, she struck a nerve...

then her junior-high-school-feud with toby keith just got plain rediculous, imo...

~Tonja~

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by anne-o-gg View Post
    I agree with this - Don has a LOT to say about the things he believes in, but a concert is about the music, not his opinions...unless they're in a song
    Don't you think there is something contradictory here? If opinions are expressed in songs, then they are sanitised and acceptable, but if you SAY what your opinion is that is wrong?

I am not a fan of the Dixie Chicks but I am sure that Ms Maines was not trying to 'get a laugh'. Her opinion is as valid as that of the people who so vehemently disagree with her. I don't subscribe to the 'my country, right or wrong' school of thought. In Australia we don't wear our patriotism as proudly as Americans do.

The point is that if you are patriotic and love your country part of that surely includes accepting that not everyone thinks the current polcies of your country are effective, and in a democracy they have the right to say so.

Regarding 'she should have known what the consequences would be and not complained when she was criticised' I know less about how that panned out, but this doesn't change her essential right to say what she said.

When the discussion came up about this, I recalled seeing a news clip of some woman who were in Rumsfeld's face this past week and just yelling and screaming blatantly calling him names,,war-monger, liar,,whatever else they thought appropriate to make a scene with. Not only this but they carried it and followed him into the building screaming and yelling... It's not so much what they were saying that struck a nerve, but that they were completely disrespecting his personal space and to me that is something no one should take for granted no matter what right they may think they had to do so. And should not be used in an act of protest.

At least Natalie didn't go this far as to make a complete spectacle of herself/dixie chicks. I think she expressed her right under civil law and unfortunately she was highly criticized for this. If you or I, not being celebrities, can say anything without consequences then in a perfect world she should not be criticized either.

Well, usually Don's songs are written in a way that the point of the song doesn't JUMP out at you - like a talking rant does...for instance - I've always loved "All She Wants to Do is Dance" but I didn't have a clue what the actual meaning was until a few weeks ago (mind you I've only known the song for a few months)...

I see what you mean though, i guess it is contrdictory - and I've no idea how to solve that

What I do know is that when I saw the Eagles in Indy - I wanted to hear the music. I didn't pay good money to hear anyone's opinion (whether it was in agreement with mine or not).

~Tonja~

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I, feel IMO, They were right to express their opinion about Bush.
    I don't think anyone is saying Natalie didn't have a right to express her feelings. We all understand freedom of speech... however, those who chose to exercise that right, as Natalie did, have to be prepared for the consquences... good, bad or otherwise.

Generally speaking, if Don is interviewed and asked questions, he gives his opinion and it's not always pretty. As far as I know, he does not get on stage and rant about his political views. In all honesty, Natalie was on stage performing, in another country and that has NOTHING to do with the President. So, for her to say what she did, IMO, was to get a cheer and reaction from the crowd. What she also got and probably didn't expect, was that many people boycotted their music afterwards, which is their right to do so.

I thought the Dixie Chicks were okay, but nothing special. After her comment, I had no desire to listen to any of their music again. Now, if I were a die hard fan, it may not have made a difference to me... but I wasn't a die hard and it did make a difference, "to me". Seeing as how I am a huge fan of the Eagles, if any of them said something against the President, I'd probably take it with a grain of salt.

Like I said in the other thread, when I go to a concert I want to hear the songs and enjoy the music, I don't care to hear about their political views. I also can't stand it when people are accepting awards and they make a political statement. Sure, they "can" do it, but why? Who cares? I could careless what they think of the war or the state of the country. Tell me why you are happy to be receiving the award and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Don't you think there is something contradictory here? If opinions are expressed in songs, then they are sanitised and acceptable, but if you SAY what your opinion is that is wrong?
    The important element here is that she said what she said on stage while performing. I feel, as some others here, that you should be able to say what you want if you are willing to face the consequences. But I do not like it when somebody does it on stage. I have a job where I have customers, but I don't think they would appreciate my sevices as much if I told them what I think of our government and its policies! There is a time and place for everything.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

It's not a crime to want to express your views on stage.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

She wasn't arrested.

I agree with TBF. There's a time and a place for everything. When I go to a concert, I want to hear the music, not their political views.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten