Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Chicks

Default Re: Dixie Chicks

Especially when I paid my hard earned money to hear them SING! Not rant and rave about their political views.

Personally, I don't mind either way. It is their show and they can do what they please. JMO.

Stuck on the Border

The feeling I get here is that people object to hearing the artists' political views expressed on stage because they disagree with them.

I have no strong feelings about this either way. In my case, I tend to agree with my favourite artists' views. That tends to be one of the reasons why you like the artist. If I know that some artist is right wing I would be far less likely to have any interest in their music, so I wouldn't be in the position of ever going to see them and disagree with their views.

It doesn't bother me to hear an artist speak their views. No matter what stage they decide to do so. In fact it makes them that much more interesting to me that they would have the courage to stand up and express truthfully what they believe in. I try to look past my way of thinking and try to understand where they may be coming from, as I would anyone whom I hear speaking without shouting. There is an appropriate way to do this and it's not by ranting or raving or carrying on. Honestly I only saw a snippet of this on tv and the only thing that I didn't understand was instead of encouraging people, she used it to discourage people. In a way. But for what it's worth, I don't think she said/did anything to bring about any of the treatment they received. It is a heavy political climate and people tend to over react.

Stuck on the Border

I don't understand what you mean by 'discouraging' people.

I don't see how it discouraged people either. If anything, Maybe it encouraged people to take a stand and see that their country is not being run the way it should be. JMHO

I did only see snippet on tv. After seeing it I didn't pay any more mind to it. For her to say she's ashamed is discouraging because George W. Bush does not define Texas. Encouragement to stand up yes but in a moment of her use of the stage to say she's ashamed is discouragement.

I really don't agree with the statement that it is discouragement. Is it discouragement to not agree with the way the president runs our country? Are you saying we should all agree with our president, and not speak our minds?

Absolutely not. I said nothing of the sort. I'm saying discouragement is not in her dislike of him it's in her outburst of being ashamed of being a texan. She's from Texas, was she ashamed to be herself. It's all about roots and where you come from, not in one person. Her encouragement is in speaking how she truely feels.

Stuck on the Border

I'm afraid I still don't understand what you mean by the word 'discouragement'. To feel discouraged is to feel depressed, as in 'I feel a bit down today'. To 'discourage' someone is to put them off such as when you say 'I don't think you should do that'. Because she feels ashamed of being from Texas is not telling others that they should feel the same way she does. People who disagree with her should not feel 'discouraged' or upset about it. On the contrary, they all came out and attacked her, far from saying nothing.