Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Inside Job"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Celebration of "Inside Job"

I noticed in Today in Eagles history that Inside Job was released on this day in 2000.

Since we don't already have an "official" thread about this album, I thought I would start one for anyone that wants to comment on the album. Since it's a holiday weekend here in the states, and the board is very slow, we may not get a lot of discussion, but what the heck - for those of you who don't have any celebration plans, I thought I'd give you something to talk about.

So here are my thoughts on the album ... First of all, I'll start off by saying that it is my least favorite of Don's solo albums. I don't think that it's a bad album, it's just that I don't think it is a good as the others. I like it more now than I did when I first heard it, but the album is just too slow and it drags a bit too much for my taste.

To me the only exceptional track on the album is Taking You Home - it is simply a beautiful song. I also like My Thanksgiving and They’re Not Here, They’re Not Coming a lot. After those, to me, there is a big drop off. Some of the other uptempo songs such as Nobody Else In the World But You, Miss Ghost, and Goodbye To a River are certainly pleasant, but really just don't do a lot for me. I know that many people think Miss Ghost is uber sexy, but honestly, that is lost on me because of the way Don uses his voice in the song. Of course, I love the sentiment and lyrics of Annabel, even though I find the melody somewhat bland.

But frankly, I think the biggest problem for me is that even though there was over a 10-year gap, this album was the follow-up to the EOTI masterpiece, and therefore, it was kind of a letdown. Don had set the bar so high with that album, that it was difficult to outdo himself - very similar to the problem the band had between Hotel California and The Long Run.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 08-24-2009 at 01:39 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Inside Job

Well.... I find that I now have a lot to say about Inside Job. I freely admit that when I first heard it I did not like it at all. A lot of these songs have matured quite stunningly, in my opinion. The ones that have not aged well, ironically, are the more 'personal' songs.

Nobody Else In The World But You - I like this because of the way you can hear Glenn sing 'YOU' in the backing vocals. No, seriously, I love Stevie Wonder's part in this. But it is yet another of Don's 'finger wagging' songs. It has aged fairly well.

Taking You Home - sorry, Dreamer. I should love this but I find it terminally bland. All very admirable, yes, but I can't relate to it.

For My Wedding - ditto. Sung with great restraint, but not a particularly interesting song.

Everything Is Different Now - I have to be in the mood for this one. Part of it works and part of it seems very 'forced'. The 'I found somebody with a heart as big as Texas' part is just a bit .... it doesn't work.

I'll return to this later.

Taking You Home was the high point of it for me, but everything else, bleh, and the EIDN video was creepy

I really don't like to compare from one to the other. I like Inside Job as much as anything else he's done. Working It,, Goodbye To A River,,, Inside Job and My Thanksgiving are some of the best stuff on the cd.

I can see how this wouldn't have the same impact of his previous work, due to the more mellow nature of the cd.

I really like EIDN - especially the choir bit towards the end.
    Goodbye to a River is another of my favourites from the album. Like the title track a lot too.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Taking You Home was the high point of it for me, but everything else, bleh, and the EIDN video was creepy

Wow! I am trying my best to be diplomatic, and you say that you think TYH is the best track and everything else is 'bleh'???

Now continuing on:

Workin' It' - nice, clever, complicated lyric. Don at his most acerbic. This is the song that has grown on me the most. My favourite part is the verse about films 'special effects, no story'. How effective is that compared with the line in the preceding verse about 'suffocating, quarterly consciousness'.

Goodbye To A River - absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful melody, singing and passionate lyrics. Some may disagree but this is the 'real Don' here.

Inside Job - this isn't bad but it's a bit preachy. And the end of it is too repetitive.

They're Not Here, They're Not Coming - great idea for a song. Great guitar solo. But the 'and it's a cold, cold...... world' bit annoys me. Yes, I know. I could not write a song like this.

Damn It, Rose - the standout track for me. I love Don when he sings like this (see also A Month Of Sundays). Some may find the subject matter too dark but it is full of black humour, particularly the MTV verse and the verse which follows. Deeply satisfying.

Miss Ghost - another great song. Fascinating story, superbly delivered.

The Genie - as EL said, 'bleh'.

Annabel - I apologise to Don's 'real' fans for not finding this song profound or moving, although I know it should be. I don't know what else I can say about this.

My Thanksgiving - should be the life-affirming finale and it is, for the most part.

Wow, Sorry for expressing my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Damn It, Rose - the standout track for me. I love Don when he sings like this (see also A Month Of Sundays).
    I'm trying my best to be diplomatic as well, FP, but ????. As we always say everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Stuck on the Border

For some reason I prefer it when Don's singing is restrained and stripped back as it is in Damn It, Rose and A Month of Sundays. To me he sounds quite compelling in these two songs. He sings For My Wedding in a simlar manner but to me it is less effective because the lyrics don't really speak to me. I am sorry I cannot explain this better. I know a lot of people prefer it when Don really lets loose as in The Boys Of Summer which I totally understand. I just personally prefer it when he 'holds back'.

I guess I must not have made my point very clear here, FP. What I really meant was that it is not necessary for any of us to have to explain our reasons for liking or disliking various songs. And it is especially not necessary for anyone to have to apologize for their feelings about certain songs. You and I seem to not agree on many of the songs on this album and that is fine. What makes different songs affect different people in different ways - who knows???? Sometimes it just can't be explained. For those who want to try to explain their feelings, they are certainly entitled to do that. For those who don't want to or can't explain, that is their right as well. Either way, we can't pass judgment on the way someone else feels.