Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

Default Happy Birthday "No Fun Aloud"!

Glenn's first solo album No Fun Aloud was released 28 years ago today. To celebrate, check out these videos!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqK5TdDGJO0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQm-9g8hiHc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_TI2-fAPf4[/ame]

I Found Somebody
    http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multi...ndsomebody.wmv

And stream some audio:

All Those Lies (Live Irvine 1982)

Don't Give Up (Live Irvine 1982)

I've Been Born Again (Live Del Mar Fair 1985)

She Can't let Go (Live Royal Oak 2000)

If you don't have it, get it! Here's a link to it on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/No-Fun-Aloud-Glenn-Frey/dp/B000002H12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275032370&sr=8-1"]Amazon[/ame].

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Happy Birthday "No Fun Aloud"!

Love this album!!! It's got probably my favorite Glenn song, The One You Love. Everything about this album is good as far as I'm concerned.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

GREAT album! Thanks for all the videos, Soda. The One You Love is probably my favourite, too. I've been listening to the live version a lot lately. That sax and his smooth voice... gorgeous!

Happy Birthday, No Fun Aloud!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Way to go Glenn!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

What a great album! I just love Partytown

Happy Birthday No Fun Aloud
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

Happy Birthday ♥ Love this album ♥ The One You Love is my favorite song, closely followed by I Found Somebody. I hear this album really often, it's just great!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

As I've said before, I consider this Glenn's second best solo album, after Strange Weather. Even the ones that aren't my favorites have their merits. The strengths on this album are Glenn stretching himself vocally and introducing the romantic side which we didn't get to see in the Eagles, the catchiness of a lot of the hooks, and the arrangements that build, pull back, and/or blast really effectively. Now that I have a bit of time, I'm going to give a run-down of what I think of each song.

I Found Somebody - Despite the fact that this was a single and he started off his live shows with it for years, it's not a favorite of mine. It's a little too laid back to the point of being sing-songy. However, the part leading up to the bridge - "One look in your eyes, and I said 'Here I go!'" picks up the energy. I'd classify it as "Pretty good."

The One You Love
    - Beautiful. Great idea releasing this one as a single - it really pulls you in, starting with that lovely sax line, then going into a very emotional vocal delivery that packs a punch despite the fact that his voice remains gentle throughout. He conveys a vulnerability that pulls at your heartstrings.

Partytown
    - OK, I have to say, this one lost me from the moment the guy in the song leaves his wife to go get high and drunk with bar flies. At least with Springsteen's similar sentiment in "Hungry Heart" you feel that he's conflicted about it and confused; in this song, Glenn sounds like he couldn't care less about anything but a regression to frat boy mentality. But I know to enjoy this song you gotta lighten up and not take it seriously, so... that said, it has a catchy hook and guitar licks, and you gotta love the line "I'm burnin' like a blowtorch in my prime"! He should've left out the talky part at the end though... muttering about how he wishes he had more drugs and how this was "some party" is a pretty limp way to go out.

I Volunteer - Again, a song that has an emotional vulnerability that Glenn really works, and a beautiful melody. I love the way he sings "You don't know that it's me who really loves you so desperately... if I could only make you hear..." - you really believe it. It has a good story arc and the way he amps up the vocal as the lyrics get more intense carries you right along with it. Great song!

I've Been Born Again - Overall, this song is catchy and has a good rock vocal as well as good message. The guitar/horn outro is cool. I love that line "A whole lot of women is an ego trip" - so true! However, that talking opening is horrible. I just cringe when he proclaims "I'm livin' for my baby!" when Tommy Nixon asks him to go party. It's too over the top to be sincere and that kills the sentiment for me. It says a lot that he recorded this at the behest of then-wife Janie - not sure Mr. Frey was really feelin' it.

Sea Cruise - I had never heard this song before playing No Fun Aloud (I know, I know, bad me). Thinking it was an original, I was just "Ugh, this is so lame!" Then I discovered it was a cover of an old song and I realized that's how a lot of those old songs are - super-simplistic, repetitive, inane lyrically, and completely reliant on their riffs and vocals. So, I just started ignoring the cheesy lyrics and enjoying the catchy groove and bluesy vocal... .and now I like it!

That Girl - Best song of the album, one of Glenn's best songs EVER, IMHO. The soft and pretty opening chords leading into the setting of the scene as the guy drives through the rain thinking of the woman he loves; the tender, heartfelt vocal that rises in all the right places, building as it goes, even breaking with emotion at some points... it has no chorus per se, but it flows perfectly... everything about this song works. Glenn has recorded other love songs, most of which I also adore, but this one has a quiet intensity that resonates with an emotional power which puts it above the rest, IMHO. Beautiful, beautiful. LOVE IT.

All Those Lies
    - Another catchy song with good guitar licks, and Glenn gives a great demonstration of how to charm your woman into believing that you're the innocent victim of a conspiracy rather than a liar with his earnest "You know how much I love you, you know how much I care!" I'd believe him!

She Can't Let Go - I've never really gotten into the Spanish-flavored mariachi type songs, but Glenn makes the most of it with a lovely vocal. A good story too - you really feel for the guy who's so into a woman who can't get over her ex. I can relate to the "song that makes you leave the room" aspect - I can't hear Duncan Sheik's "Barely Breathing" without cringing thanks to its association to a bad breakup. Ugh!! Anyway, despite the fact that it's not my kind of song, I appreciate the musicality of it.

Don't Give Up - No one ever talks about this song - maybe because it sounds a bit dated - but I really like it, especially the part where he sings "I know that I've said that I'm sorry before but I beg you to listen this time!" Yeah, the synthesizer beat is a thing of the 80s, but it drives the song along nicely. Plus, the way he sings "I think about you every night" is hot, as is the guitar. Definitely an underrated song!

Overall, No Fun Aloud gets an A- from me. Pretty impressive for a first effort!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY NO FUN ALOUD!!!

Thank you Soda for putting up all those videos, mpg’s, etc. They are great – it’s too bad that there is nothing available for the beautiful ballads, I Volunteer or That Girl. I wrote some comments about this album in last years thread, but I didn’t rate the songs in the order that I love/like them as I often do, so I’ll do that here. Even though I disagree with Soda somewhat about a few of these songs, we both agree that this is an overall excellent album and was a great way for Glenn to launch his solo career. At the risk of repeating myself, this is also my 2nd favorite of Glenn's solo albums - a very close 2nd to Strange Weather. I really don't think there are any weak tracks on the album. Obviously, there are quite a few of these songs that I don't believe Glenn would record today, but that is part of the charm to me. I think the album reflects exactly how he was feeling at the time - free of the pressure and constraints of being an Eagle, but still wanting to party on! So here goes …

I Love It

All Those Lies (5) – I think this is a very underrated song and is one of my favorite Glenn solo songs. I don’t see any flaws in this song – lyrics, vocals, music, melody – all great! I believe this is his only solo song that Glenn wrote alone. What's not to love???

I Found Somebody (5) – While Soda classifies this song as ‘pretty good’, I say it is ‘excellent’! I love how catchy it is. Every time I hear it, I think about my mom and my 5-year old niece both singing along to it. So, I guess you could say it appeals to all ages.

I Volunteer (5) – Glenn’s vocals on this song simply turn me into a puddle of goo! The vulnerability and passion that he emotes in his voice are absolutely amazing. Also, let’s not forget the fantastic guitar work, melody, and story here. Yep – he sells it and I absolutely love this song.

Party Town (5) – This song is just plain fun. It was intended as nothing more than a fun-loving romp, and that’s exactly what it is except with attitude! I’m sure it’s not a song Glenn would record today, but it’s a statement of the stereotypical 70’s/80’s male party animal. Unlike Soda, I love all the banter at the end of the song.

That Girl (5) – While I don’t think this is close to being the best song on the album, I do love this song. It is a pure and simple beautiful ballad with a great, understated delivery.

She Can't Let Go (5) – This is a beautiful song as well. Again, Glenn’s emotion results in some incredible vocals, and the Spanish music works.

I've Been Born Again (5) – I pretty much agree with everything Soda said about this song except the part about the opening dialog between Glenn and Tommy. While, I agree it is somewhat cheesy, I don’t think it’s nearly as cringe-worthy as Soda does. As I always say - cheesy, yet satisfying! But, having said that, I doubt if this is a song that Glenn would record today.

I Really Like It (4)

The One You Love (4) – This is where my opinion differs a lot from most fans. Even though this song was a hit, it's my least favorite of the ballads on the album. It’s not that I don’t like it, but I just don’t like the melody as much as the other ballads. As Soda said, Glenn does show a lot of angst and vulnerability in his vocals here, but the delivery is just not as emotive as it is in the other ballads, IMO.

Don't Give Up (4) – I agree with much of what Soda said about this song. I also love the "I'm countin' on you" line, and think this is yet another very catchy tune.

Sea Cruise (4) – I find the story about this in the liner notes believable, and think that it is reflective of where Glenn was at this point in his life. Even though this is my least favorite song, it is entertaining, uplifting, has great music, and you just can’t help but want to sing along and dance. I think my feelings about this song pretty much sums up why this is such a great album. Sorry Glenn ... no disrespect intended, but I can’t help myself - I have FUN when I listen to this album!!!

key:
    5 - I love it
    4 - I really like it
    3 - I like it
    2 - meh
    1 – yikes

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Well, Soda & Dreamer, you have put me on the spot to provide a follow up to those excellent reviews. I wish I could be so eloquent. I will follow Dreamer's format. I think it is probably my second favourite album too (what a shame The Allnighter has a couple of tracks which really drag it down).

I Love It

That Girl - quiet intensity, Soda, you nailed it. All his best songs have that. This is a song which has matured amazingly over the years. It has understated piano and beautifully arranged (of course) strings and he puts all his heart and soul into it. I like the 'ooh, I'm gonna love her till my.... dyin' day' part.

I Volunteer - more smooth soul. I had no idea he was such a devotee of this type of music. By the time he gets to 'who REALLY LOVES YOU so desperately' you are feeling it with him.

I Found Somebody - because it is very catchy and because of the line 'you got me singin' this song' at which I either inanely nod my head or shout 'and very well too, sir! More please'! He likes it enough to still play it live.

The One You Love - it's a classic, that's all. It's a classic situation and it is beautifully sung. 'It just ain't fair' indeed. I get more out of this every time I hear it. Love the sax. The Eagles could have played this.

All Those Lies - Dreamer summed this up very well. It is a good showcase for Glenn's extremely underrated guitar skills. My favourite moment is 'I can't believe you'd listen to those one eyed jacks'. I absolutely love the way he sings that line. If he is sometimes painted as a wide eyed romantic, he isn 't here, except when he pleads that 'you got to believe me baby'. (NB I've been thinking about the song a lot since the elimination game).

I've Been Born Again - I am very fond of this, cheesy intro and all. It rocks.

I Really Like It

Don't Give Up - a little bit forced and the lyrics are not the most original every written but because it is HIM being so passionate it creeps up on you.

She Can't Let Go - the Royal Oak version takes this to another dimension. It is very pleasant but the situation is a bit dubious. If I were the narrator I'd find someone else but I suppose the point is they BOTH can't let go! Beautiful Spanish guitar work.

Partytown - too much of a deliberate attempt to distance himself from the Eagles, although it is fun to listen to.

I Like It

Sea Cruise - a bit lazy, considering the Eagles had been playing this on their final tour. Depending on my mood, either I go for it or shrug it off.

Stuck on the Border

Just noticed this topic. At the moment I haven't got time so I'm not gonna write much. I just gotta say that I love the cover. The sign with the guitar as a symbol of fun with the album title and Glenn posing in front of it, wearing a white jacket and a tie, with his guitar and that expression on his face...It's just hilarious!!!
    "Don't let go" is awesome. The word "dated" had never occured to me with this song. If something works for me decades after its release, to me it's not dated. And this song works for me. A sound itself is never dated, as far as I'm concerned. I've always wondered about the intro. That fast lick sounds like a guitar, but is it a synth? I think I hear the same synth in some places in this song that Glenn played the solo with in "Teenage jail". When I hear the lead parts in this song, I'm often not sure if it's a synth or a guitar I'm hearing.