Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

I noticed that today was the day that No Fun Aloud was released, back in 1982.

This is my second favorite of Glenn's solo albums, after Strange Weather. It's so much fun to listen to and the songs are so melodic and catchy. Not a stinker in the bunch. I especially love "That Girl," "I Volunteer," and "The One You Love." I'm a sucker for the ballads! "That Girl" is one of my top 3 Glenn solo songs ever.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Happy Birthday "No Fun Aloud"

..I agree Soda..I love to listen to "No fun aloud" too...the whole album was great..not one bad song on it...hard to believe it's been that long..wow, 1982......brings back a lot of memories...

Stuck on the Border

OK... I love these topics. Here are my thoughts.

First of all I have never forgotten the excitement when I bought it on June 10, 1982 (yes, that's how long it took for the vinyl record to arrive in Australia). I was a bit taken aback by the cover photo, which I still don't particularly like, because I thought he looked awkward (but not 'foolish', Marc Eliot, do you hear me)?!

This is also my second favourite album because it is consistently very good. Even the 'minor' tracks are still listenable.

I Found Somebody - Horns? What? I am so used to Glenn doing songs like this now but back then it was a revelation. It is still a great song which he occasionally plays live.

The One You Love - this has really stood the test of time. It's catchy, it tells a good story and he sings it beautifully.

Partytown - somewhat disposable, though I am fond of it. I prefer the Dublin version.

I Volunteer - another R&B gem. This is gorgeous. For those who haven't heard it you really should try to hear it.

I've Been Born Again - well, if you take out the spoken part (I really am not sure about Glenn's insistence on doing this sort of thing in some songs) it is a great rocker which is sung with the usual charisma.

Sea Cruise - somewhat lazy of him to do an old R&B cover the Eagles had been playing. Came as a shock to me. Where were the profound lyrics? Or as Rolling Stone said were they 'Don Henley's department'? I always found that an unnecessarily nasty comment. Glenn needed to lighten up and Sea Cruise seemed a good way to do it, though it's my least favourite track.

That Girl - SIGH. I agree with Soda about this one. It's beautiful.

All Those Lies - at last a bit of an edge. Some great guitar work. Interesting lyrics.

She Can't Let Go - a Spanish sounding track which has aged quite well. The Royal Oak live version is far superior, though.

Don't Give Up - decent rocker but somewhat cliched lyrics.

This is the only one of Glenn's solo albums that I don't have. I'm still on the hunt for it. The only songs from this album that i've heard are The One You Love, I Found Somebody, and Partytown. I look forward to someday hearing the rest of the album.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

No Fun Aloud was my second Glenn Frey album what I had bought, I hear it very often,
    I love this album, especially I like The One You Love, That Girl and I Volunteer!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Woo hoo hoo, Soda, thank you for commemorating the release date of this album. This is my favourite Glenn album!!! I bought NFA and "The Allnighter" together in 2007 after I had them imported, and loved both, but after having played both albums to death (they're both on my MP3 player too - ALL Glenn's are), NFA is still my favourite. All the songs stay fresh and exciting everytime I listen to them. I'm considering doing a breakdown of the songs as FP has done, but I might just end up saying "I LOVE IT" next to each song!

Oh, what the heck - here goes:

1) I Found Somebody - my heart pounds everytime I hear the opening notes to this song. Glenn's voice soars on the chorus and I love his overdubbed harmony vocals. This is definitely one of my favourite Glenn songs.

2) The One You Love - just a lovely mellow, romantic ballad, so tenderly sung.

3) Partytown - woo hoo hoo! Glenn at his naughtiest and sexiest - just ask GA how she feels about this song, although I think it has more to do with how HOT he looks singing in his 1992 Dublin concert . I'm just a sucker for rock 'n roll, and Glenn can rock with the best of 'em.

4) I Volunteer - very romantic, with beautiful and passionate vocals. Glenn really shows off his vocal prowess here, in my opinion. I was very impressed with this upon first hearing it, purely for his singing.

5) I've Been Born Again - great soul/rock. I can't help but think that this song is somewhat biographical for Glenn , even though he didn't write it. Perhaps this song, apart from "That Girl", could also have been dedicated to Janie.

6) Sea Cruise - I never liked this song until I heard Glenn sing it. He breathed LIFE into it. Fantastic vocal and the band is superb. Our band incorporated this song into our repertoire recently, although we're doing the Johnny Rivers version. I campaigned for the Glenn version, but I'm not singing it, so I had to back down .

7) That Girl - just a beautiful, sincere song about the woman he loved. Lovely, Glenn ...

8 ) All Those Lies - I always wonder about how much of his own life Glenn was talking about in this song. The reason I think so is because of his reference in the liner notes regarding "cheating on your mate". It's the only one on the album, as far as I can recall, that he wrote alone, i.e. without Jack Tempchin. It's a good song.

9) She Can't Let Go - this song makes me melt everytime. I love the fact that Glenn is also playing all the instruments. I think this is his most beautiful vocal on the entire album. His gentle vocal on the lyric "Oh she wants to be free/but when she's holding me" is just stunningly pure and melodic. Phew.

10) Don't Give Up - great piece of music. Glenn's keyboard skills are particularly impressive here.

As for the cover photo, it's my favourite "come hither" Glenn pose. I'm sure you won't mind if I remind you all of it:

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Default Happy Birthday "No Fun Aloud"!

Glenn's first solo album No Fun Aloud was released 28 years ago today. To celebrate, check out these videos!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqK5TdDGJO0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQm-9g8hiHc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_TI2-fAPf4[/ame]

I Found Somebody
    http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multi...ndsomebody.wmv

And stream some audio:

All Those Lies (Live Irvine 1982)

Don't Give Up (Live Irvine 1982)

I've Been Born Again (Live Del Mar Fair 1985)

She Can't let Go (Live Royal Oak 2000)

If you don't have it, get it! Here's a link to it on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/No-Fun-Aloud-Glenn-Frey/dp/B000002H12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275032370&sr=8-1"]Amazon[/ame].

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Happy Birthday "No Fun Aloud"!

Love this album!!! It's got probably my favorite Glenn song, The One You Love. Everything about this album is good as far as I'm concerned.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

GREAT album! Thanks for all the videos, Soda. The One You Love is probably my favourite, too. I've been listening to the live version a lot lately. That sax and his smooth voice... gorgeous!

Happy Birthday, No Fun Aloud!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Way to go Glenn!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten