Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Happy Birthday "No Fun Aloud"!

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Just noticed this topic. At the moment I haven't got time so I'm not gonna write much. I just gotta say that I love the cover. The sign with the guitar as a symbol of fun with the album title and Glenn posing in front of it, wearing a white jacket and a tie, with his guitar and that expression on his face...It's just hilarious!!!
    "Don't let go" is awesome. The word "dated" had never occured to me with this song. If something works for me decades after its release, to me it's not dated. And this song works for me. A sound itself is never dated, as far as I'm concerned. I've always wondered about the intro. That fast lick sounds like a guitar, but is it a synth? I think I hear the same synth in some places in this song that Glenn played the solo with in "Teenage jail". When I hear the lead parts in this song, I'm often not sure if it's a synth or a guitar I'm hearing.
    You mean Don't Give Up?

Your musical knowledge is far more extensive than mine but I think the opening part is a synth and the solo and end parts are guitars.

I agree with FP about the opening, with the same caveat.

And "dated" is one of those terms that means something different to everyone. For me, a song can be really good, but still sound "dated" in that it uses a lot of gimmicks common to its time period that are no longer en vogue. For instance, I absolutely adore the song "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, but its heavy synth sound screams "EIGHTIES" to me.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You mean Don't Give Up?

Your musical knowledge is far more extensive than mine but I think the opening part is a synth and the solo and end parts are guitars.
    I definitely meant "Don't give up"! Somehow I got "Don't give up" and "She can't let go" mixed up and came up with a new song title!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I agree with FP about the opening, with the same caveat.

And "dated" is one of those terms that means something different to everyone. For me, a song can be really good, but still sound "dated" in that it uses a lot of gimmicks common to its time period that are no longer en vogue. For instance, I absolutely adore the song "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, but its heavy synth sound screams "EIGHTIES" to me.
    I see what you mean. Me, I just think that we (me included, of course!) like to think that certain things are "dated" when we are so deep in our own time. If someone was brave enough and would use the "dated" things in public, we might realize that we love them too. This often happens when old things come fashionable again. To me nothing is dated, but at some point we like to think they are! A few years from now, ringtones and crocks will seem dated, but now they rule. A few hours from now I'm gonna read this and wonder what on earth I was trying to say

I see what you mean, chaim. If a trend comes back into vogue thirty years later, you can't call the initial trend "dated" anymore!

Your comparison to ringtones is interesting, though, because when those go out of style it will be because they are technologically obsolete. Perhaps that's also true of some of the more technologically-driven "sounds."

ETA: You know what, this got me to thinking - synth is featured in some parts of Fleetwood Mac's "Everybody Finds Out" from their 2003 album Say You Will - and it was my favorite song off that album! I didn't think "dated' when I heard it; I thought "this song is awesome!" Guess that proves your point!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

To me the entire Building The Perfect Beast album is dated because of the overuse of synths.

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, ringtones were not a perfect example, because of the technology. I guess I was also thinking of what turns us on at any given time. We laugh at what people njoyed in the 80's, but now we are amazed by ringtones. Anyway, I'll have to listen to "No fun aloud" again to be able to say more about it. And it would be interesting to hear "Don't give up" again, now that the word "dated" has come up! I have moved to a new apartment in a new town, so everything is in boxes at the moment...
    This word "dated" has got me wondering since I started to hear people around me laughing at the eighties. We laugh at all things 80's and what are we doing at the same time? Trying to get the ultimate killer ringtone to impress others, wearing pink crocks and writing "I think I'm going to wash the dishes" in facebook! When I watch Miami Vice today, it still has the same effect on me. No difference whatsoever. A great show with great atmospheres, great scenes with the picture and music fitting together nicely, great characters. But everyone around me is saying, "it's so eighties"
    Anyway, looking forward to hearing "No fun aloud" again when I get it out from whatever box it is in!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Ragarding this discussion about songs being 'dated', I tend to agree with chaim in that it really doesn't matter to me what it sounds like as long as I like the sound. If it's a great song, I don't care if it sounds like 50's sock hop or 90's hip hop. Although I understand that there are some sounds that are closely identified with a certain period, the problem is that more often than not, whenever people say something is 'dated', it carries a negative connotation with it. IMO, some things are 'dated' in a good way, but unless I clarify that, when I say it is 'dated', the assumption is usually that it is bad. For that reason, I personally don't really like using the term that much.

And chaim, have fun listening to NFA today!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I always thought that it was interesting that during the F1 tour You Belong To The City was invariably described as 'dated' while Boys Of Summer and Dirty Laundry were not. We know which song was dropped.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I always thought that it was interesting that during the F1 tour You Belong To The City was invariably described as 'dated' while Boys Of Summer and Dirty Laundry were not. We know which song was dropped.
    It's funny, because to me "Boys of summer" is as "80's" as "You belong to the city", but the difference is that BoS was more popular from the start. Both are great songs. Seems to me that BoS has escaped the "dated" label because people think it's a great song, not because it doesn't sound like an 80's track.
    A little epilogue, added afterwards:
    I find it interesting that both BOS and YBTTC have the same three-note hook that was very common in the eighties. If the song is in E minor (like these two songs are), the notes are g, f sharp, d. "Powers that be" by Roger Waters has this, even in the same rhythm as BOS. For those who don't know about musical notes, I mean the "you belong to the city"-melody, which has the same three notes as the "Boys of summer" instrumental hook. Somehow those three notes together, with the minor chord in the background, sum up the eigthies.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-06-2010 at 06:06 AM.