Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Happy Birthday "No Fun Aloud"

Mike, it's interesting that you mention the guitar strap because this has something that has worried me slightly about this photo for years. Of course you can't play shows with a thin strap like that - it looks like it was the strap which came with the guitar when it was bought. I wasn't aware of your second point about his right hand though, so thanks for pointing it out!

MF, I noticed you mentioned the lines 'oh she wants to be free etc' from She Can't Let Go. In this version he sings that very softly but in the Royal Oak version he belts it out at the top of his lungs. It is awesome to hear.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I have had a busy week, so I'd like to wish a belated Happy Birthday to No Fun Aloud. Like most of you, this is also my 2nd favorite of Glenn's solo albums. It is a very close 2nd to Strange Weather. I really don't think there are any weak tracks on the album. I kind of have to divide them up into "I absolutely love the song" or "I like the song a whole lot".

So, the ones I absolutely love are:

I Found Somebody (love it and would sooo love to see it live)
    Party Town (just plain fun and rockin')
    I Volunteer (the vocals make me melt)
    I've Been Born Again (love it; as I've said before - cheesy, yet satisfying)
    All Those Lies (one of my favorite Glenn solo songs; very under-rated, IMHO)
    That Girl (simply beautiful)
    She Can't Let Go (incredible vocals, and the Mexican music works)

The ones that I like a whole lot are:

The One You Love (even though this was a hit, it's my least favorite of the ballads)
    Sea Cruise (I find the story in the liner notes believable, and think that it is reflective of where Glenn was at this point in his life)
    Don't Give Up (very catchy - love the "I'm countin' on you" line)

Obviously, there are quite a few of these songs that I don't believe Glenn would record today, but that is part of the charm to me. I think the album reflects exactly how he was feeling at the time - free of the pressure and constraints of being an Eagle, but still wanting to party on!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    But it isn't a realistic pose for a guitarist <smile>, and Glenn IS ALL THAT!
    Mike, to paraphrase Glenn, I bet his attitude about something like this is "Hey man, it's just a pose".
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 05-30-2009 at 02:55 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It looks like he's resting his arm on the guitar, so maybe his hand just happens to be hanging that way? lol

Can't really chime in on a lot of it since I don't have the album.........but I absolutely love Love LOVE "I Found Somebody!" Listen to it all the time!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

JMHO - But, for those of you who are remotely interested in Glenn's solo work, this album is a "must have". It is often available at a decent price on Amazon. Go for it - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks for the info, Dreamer. Every once in a while I would go searching for it at the local music stores but haven't had any luck. My next step was to find the album online.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Out on the Border

Glenn was dating the girl who cut my hair back when he recorded this album. My favorite song (and one of the greatest songs ever IMO), is That Girl. I never asked her about that song because it could have been a sore spot for her for all I knew.

..I would have thought that Glenn was with Janie(the plaintiff) back when he recorded that album...anyway, I'm very jealous of your hairdresser..

Stuck on the Border

Well, the song is dedicated to Janie, who came from Texas. That is all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by kperk014 View Post
    Glenn was dating the girl who cut my hair back when he recorded this album. My favorite song (and one of the greatest songs ever IMO), is That Girl. I never asked her about that song because it could have been a sore spot for her for all I knew.
    I adore that song too! So beautiful.

I bet it would be a sore spot for the hairdresser to be reminded of the fact that since the song is "for Janie" it wasn't for her! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I adore that song too! So beautiful.

I bet it would be a sore spot for the hairdresser to be reminded of the fact that since the song is "for Janie" it wasn't for her! lol
    For a hairdresser, she was pretty wild. Glenn was still relatively young and wild back then and you know how most young musicians have a weakness for the ladies. That Girl. I can still listen to that song and as soon as I hear the first note, it's 1982 again! Geez to be 22 again.