Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tend My Garden

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Tend My Garden

hehehe Mike, that's a great butt rock *G* we've moved a lot of those up at the cabin but using Dad's back hoe on his tractor. It's amazing what you can accomplish with BIG equipment... no innuendo intended...*G*

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    hehehe Mike, that's a great butt rock *G* we've moved a lot of those up at the cabin but using Dad's back hoe on his tractor. It's amazing what you can accomplish with BIG equipment... no innuendo intended...*G*
    You must have said that to Joe and he's laughing about it in your Avatar!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by tbs fanatic View Post
    That is beautiful. Oh, I would love a pond in our yard .
    The watergardens are a WHOLE avocation in themselves. Around here in Wichita, there are annual watergarden tours. Some of them are unbelievable. One guy in Derby has a large swimming pool that he got tired of I guess. He turned it into a watergarden complete with bridges that span the garden and a monster 35' or 40' mountain in the deep end with a waterfall. Koi the size of large children! And some of the most exotic plants I've ever seen.

Most keep them small like ours though. I'd hate to have to maintain one the size of a swimming pool.

The relaxing sound of water falling is very soothing....as long as there is a bathroom close by!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    You must have said that to Joe and he's laughing about it in your Avatar!

Everyone knows Joe has big equipment I.E. His hands

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Mike--I love your butt rock and the story behind (no pun intended) it.

Here's some of our backyard. We live in the older part of town and our house is 120 years old this year. We have one of the bigger lots on our side of the street. Our lot gets alot of shade in part of it but more sun than anything else. We have been planting a few trees (tulip tree in front of the deck, etc) but of course those take time to grow.

A few years ago, the whole lawn was pretty well killed off during a summer drought in which we didn't have a lot of time to spend working on when my father was so ill from cancer. The following summer, we tilled up ever blade of grass and started from scratch. What you see is in it's 3rd year for the most part and still a work in progress. Every year we add a little or change it. A lot of the stuff hasn't bloomed or anything yet because we live in Northern Indiana and we were still having snow showers up till 3 weeks ago.

This is the front of the deck behind our detached garage. It has a really nice gazebo on it and the back wall of the garage is covered with odds and ends antiques and signs, some of which haven't been put up this year yet.

This is the sign that supposedly hung on the store that Al Capone's parents owned in western Chicago. Notice the grass--we are trying to kill it off this year in these little triangles between the walkways and will put ground cover (probably Phlox) next year.

In different spots of the yard there are little statues and critters... these are my 2 favorites! LOVE my gargoyle. Some rotten teenage kids tried to steal him off my front porch years ago while my neighbor across the street was looking out the window so he yelled at them and they dropped it in the next yard. How they carried it that far I don't know because he is pretty big and cement. Anyways, he was moved to the backyard after that. Oops--I see I missed pulling out a couple volunteer trees here.

This little guy and his magic mushroom sit underneath my favorite plant/tree in the yard, a Weeping Pussy Willow.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I really do love those gardens like yours and Cathy's where "trails" or "Paths" sort of guide you through the flora. Your gargoyle reminded me of a "Tree Sprit" (aren't those called "Fauns" or "Nymphs" depending on gender?) that we have on the River Birch between our ponds. You can see it in the two pics of the little pond. Just two eyes, a nose and a mouth.

The volunteer trees we have are nearly always elms. Though we do have two volunteers that are pin-oak and ash on one side of our house that we are letting grow if they can make it.

Your weeping pussy-willow is something like the Drooping (or Weeping) Mulbery we have in front of our house. It forms a tunnel that visitors have to walk through to get to our front door. Problem is that a root from that tree has grown under our sidewalk and literally lifted the slab out of the ground!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

This is the front of the house. Hard to get good angles in the pictures, but you might get the idea. Nothing spectacular or anything.

The bell came with the house and is supposedly ancient! It really rings and loud and I love it and if we ever leave, it will come with us!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Is that "driftwood" Willie?

MikeA

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Willie, I love your yard! Just one thing missing.. the leaping hottie on the back of the house... you need to add a wig or some hair silhouette and a bass guitar in the other hand.. altho I guess if you did that you'd have to move him into the bedroom in the winter *G* maybe just ALL the time!! *G*

I'm getting ready for MIL's visit and Jenni's grad today. Maybe I'll get around to taking some pictures IF I can get things straightened up. (big IF)

Default !

Beautiful Willie! Is that first picture the home of the infamous vinyl parties?
    And I thought that was a gargoyle! Funny story about the kids trying to steal it - I know how heavy those things are!

Mike, your butt rock story cracked me up (get it? butt crack?)
    Anyway, yours seems like a lot of work. Here's our water feature.
    It's sitting on our screened porch right now but it will probably eventually go on the deck or close to it.
    Walmart special - $198.00! It's about 2 to 2 1/2 feet high by the same width.
    Does the job though - makes me sleepy listening to it! And it looks real! Kinda!

~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.