Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Tend My Garden

Default Re: Tend My Garden

I'm taking a secret from your "secret garden" Cathy. In one of the pictures I posted, I was showing the flowerbed on the west side of our house. To form that bed, I used a radial arm saw and cut up probably 50 landscaping timbers, dug a trench around 1 foot deep and buried the cut timbers (each around 18" long) in the trench standing them up on their ends and butting them together side by side. A lot of work. And if you look at the picture, you'll see that they have rotted even though they were treated.

I need to pull all of those out and I think I'll use those chunky stone type borders that you used in those first and second shots of the rockwork you posted. I don't think the stone will "rot" <LOL>.

I have those timbers ALL OVER the yard, around trees and on three sides of our house. The timbers looked good, like stockades, but it isn't any good if they don't stand up to the test of time!

MikeA

Glad we're able to use each others' ideas.

Hey look who was back this weekend. It's Timothy, the bass playing turtle! I snapped these pictures from our front window as we watched him cross from our yard to our neighbors'. Later in the afternoon hubby saw the neighbor and her grandkids playing with him. Maybe he'll be back!

~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

He knew you had been talking about him!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    He knew you had been talking about him!
    Actually Willie, I think he's heading north towards you to meet up with Don the drumming frog!
    ~ Cathy ~

PM, I just love your garden. The 'peace' sign is fab.

In the absence of a garden of my own, I took a few pictures of my grandparents' back garden while I was there this weekend. I used to live with them so we spent a lot of time playing there as kids.

As you can see, the lawn's looking a bit ropey. It's a long-running joke in my family... We actually bought my Grandad a little picket sign saying "I fought the lawn and the lawn won" but he doesn't seem to have it in sight anywhere... Hmm. I'll have to have words!

The patio from the left-hand side. Finally, my grandma made me take this picture because she's proud of 'em...

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post

Lou-do you know what kind of plant that is along the border above? We are looking for something like that for one of our areas but can't find anything that we like or will work.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Troub thanks for posting those pics. I also have fond memories of my grandparent's yard, complete with an old grapevine arbor and an outhouse! My grandparents are long gone, but my memories have barely faded.

Their garden is lovely. I'm sure your grandfather is skeptical about the sign because he doesn't want to admit defeat! ( You know how men are!)
    ~ Cathy ~

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Okay, I was hesitant to post my garden here cuz, well, it's a working garden and Im not too picky about weeds and order. My aunt, who's a master gardener, always told me not to sweat the weeds and bugs, concentrate on the plants and soil and the weeds and bugs will take care of themselves. SO, here it is, it its wild glory, where I spend most of my time

I used to special order sunflower seeds for the garden, now they're all volunteer. I think next year I'll get some russian giant seeds tho, all the hybrids seem to have resorted back to their base flower. Pretty, but I miss the giants.

the other tall flower there that doesnt look like Sunflower leaves is somethign we call Kiss me Over the Garden Gate, its very exotic looking and has long seedy maroon colored flowers around late august.

Some things are almost done, like the blueberries

and the raspberries, but they'll make another burst later in the summer..

and others are just starting, like the dahlias,

and the zinnias..

The vegies are the heart of the garden, they get priority. The Green Beans are starting to produce which is why Im a canning fool right now...

in a day or two, they'll be loaded!

The tomatoes have a few days yet, but it wont be long!!