Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Tend My Garden

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Tend My Garden

I am loving the little waterfall. I've been wanting something similar for a corner we have but it needs to be easy and cheap, hence the reason I don't have one yet. Looks very peaceful. Hope you and Eric spend many pleasant hours there.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That is just beautiful, Cathy. I love it! I also love all the big trees surrounding the area. I really like the wood color floor with the white railing. Your hubby did a wonderful job!

We are getting ready to build on to our backyard deck, too. I'll post when it's finished.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It really is very pretty, Cathy. I hope you'll enjoy it!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Wow Cathy, That's beautiful! Im impressed with hubby's carpentry skills!! My father is an amazing carpenter as well, but he's 72 years old! Someday.. IF I ever get the kitchen cleaned completely (see the neatnik thread... also this is where Cliff and Sarah's computers are) I will take pics. My father added it to the end of the house about 14 years ago. We have a deck he and Cliff built as well, but it's never been finished (Cliff's job *G* he said, "eh, good nuff" *G*) To be fair, it's just missing the benches on the sides which were optional anyway.
    He and Cliff also built my green house! Notice it's never been painted LOL

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

ticky - I'm exceptionally hungry now. The raspberries!! Great green beans, too - those are my favorite.

Prettymaid - Love the deck-in-progress photos!

I acquired pocket money in high school & undergrad tending other people's yards, so I appreciate the immense amount of effort concealed in those photos!

Your garden is beautiful, PM!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I really like the wood color floor with the white railing.
    Thanks everybody. Brooke, we saw a picture in a magazine of the wood stained deck with white railing and fell in love with it.

Notice the birdfeeder - several weeks ago we woke up to the top of the feeder off. The pole is 7 ft. tall. Something was smart enough to climb up the pole and open the feeder! As you can see, Hubby attached bungee cords to the top but they still got in! As a last resort he put grease on the pole. Not very attractive, but by golly we outsmarted those varmints!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

yewueeeeee...

Consider the possibility of some "varmint" that just stood up and took the top off! Maybe you need steel jawed traps! I have a cousin in Alaska who has trouble with Bears getting up on her deck at night and raiding the feeders. Of course, she also has Moose eating her prize flowers too.

But, seriously, what could defeat bungee cords? Were they chawed through?

I do love your deck. Compliments to your carpenter! I remember all too well all the leveling and setting of the supports. Looked like a disaster area until it was completed. And, I swear not ONE of the decking planks was straight. Had to force each section into line by bending it with a "jury rigged" pry bar before using decking screws (LONG 3" or so screws you had to pre-drill and then set into place with a drill and a bit that often reamed out the philips head on the screws!)

The end result though is worth it and yours is pristine!

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Pm, I have trouble with squirrels climbing onto my bird feeders. They are very pesky creatures. With all of your trees, they are probably the culprits. Hubby cracked down on them this spring, meaning there are a lot less of them around now!

I've been having trouble with a possum coming up on our deck and trying to get in the barbecue grill. I even opened the patio door one night to bring in the cat food and there he was eating it right at my feet! He just looked at me and continued munching Beyonce's Science Diet! After a quick scream, (didn't phase him) I got a broom and pushed him off the deck to hear him plod on the ground 7 feet below. I hoped it didn't kill him, cause then the next morning I would have to scoop up a dead possum and dispose of it! Yuk! Thankfully, in the morning he was gone. Well, hubby finally set his live trap Saturday night by the barbecue grill and low and behold Sunday morning we had him! We took him to the woods a few miles away and let him loose. He'll probably be back by this weekend!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Brooke, We had the same problem the whole time I was growing up. There's a sizable wooded area behind my parents house and the possums were thick! They're the brassiest creatures! they'd just hiss at us and our poor cats were always getting in fights with them. I hate to say it, but they only stopped coming round when my Dad took his rifle out. A few pot shots at them and they quit coming. Of course these days I dont think you could get away with that. Good luck!