Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Tend My Garden

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Tend My Garden

Ticky, the gun is the next option, but we didn't want to shoot him on our deck! Ewwwww! We live in the country, so it's not a problem.

We had so many rabbits eating the flowers and garden veggies a couple years ago, that even I, myself, got out my trusty 410 and blasted a couple of the varmits!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I am sorry, but I believe shooting animals is wrong.

Oops, EL. Just doing what had to be done to save my garden there.

I'll keep my redneck ways to myself from now on!

Not trying to offend you, Please, by all means, you can protect your garden, I was suggesting some humane ways of getting rid of the animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post

This shows the privacy screen Hubby built around the air conditioner.

Had to see these again, Pm! Could you send your hubby over to help my hubby?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    yewueeeeee...
    Consider the possibility of some "varmint" that just stood up and took the top off! ...But, seriously, what could defeat bungee cords? Were they chawed through?
    I'll have to check with Hubby again. I thought he meant they were unhooked, which leads me to believe a raccoon got up there. We also have possum and deer. A deer would be tall enough, but not smart enough. We both assumed it was a raccoon.

Thanks again everyone. Hubby would love your kind words. I'm proud of him!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

First off, opossums are about the closest things to the first evolutionary mammals still alive today. They really are throwback to another prehistoric age. They live that long I think because they virtually can't be killed! No way is a 7' fall going to phase them.

We had skunks digging underneath our concrete swimming pool deck a couple of years ago. They would have been no problem if I'd lived out in the county and not within the city limits. If you shoot a firearm within our city limits, you'd best have a dead human INSIDE you house with a deadly weapon drawn to show the police!

So we rented "live" traps. I didn't want "dead" traps (LOL), not when I was targeting SKUNKS! You bait the traps with peanut butter and granola. The Skunk crawls inside the trap and when they bite on the bait, it trips the trapdoor. The enclosure is tight enough that the animal can't lift its tail and if it can't lift its tail, It can't spray! And it's "humane" in that he or she will have that snack to munch on until you dispose of them.

Which brings you to the point of "Okay, now I've got him, what the heck do I do with him?" 'Hi nice kitty. Run along now and please don't come back?" <LOL>

I Tied rope to the bed of my truck and put two quick release clips on the end that would clip onto the front of the trap. The rope was long enough to allow the trap to slide to the back of the truck bed and tilt over the tailgate before the rope stopped it. Find a remote gravel road; stop and lower the tailgate; accelerate enough to slide the trap to the rear and off the tailgate and pop the rope tight and the critter slides out the back through the spring loaded trap door and onto the road at which time you kick in the nitrous oxide and get the heck out of there!

Well, Three mornings in a row, I had possums in my trap! Never did catch the skunk but did cover up the hole under the swimming pool. Never did smell them again nor did we see them. Our neighbors had two THIS year and then paid $200 EACH for a professional to come trap them and dispose of them.

It sure was easier when I lived in the country. I'm quite sure that if a human invaded a Bear's den he most likely wouldn't do it but once. I have no qualms about using the same tactics when an undesirable animal invades my castle.

Oh, Rocky Raccoon is MEAN! They can kill a dog if they are close enough to water deep enough. They will grab a dog at the neck and just hang on until they can pull them to the water at which time the dog is tired and the coon can get them in the pond and drown them. One almost had my 50 pound Buckwheat into our watergarden one night. Man, they growl like lions or badgers!

But they are SMART. You have probably guessed right Cathy.

MikeA

Gorgeous photos, Cathy. Love the decking, and the chairs and tables... It all looks so lovely. I want to come over for a few drinks on a warm summer's evening, please!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Gorgeous photos, Cathy. Love the decking, and the chairs and tables... It all looks so lovely. I want to come over for a few drinks on a warm summer's evening, please!

Lou, we've tested it for that purpose and it works great! C'mon over!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.