Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Walsh: He's everywhere!

Default Re: Joe Walsh: He's everywhere!

I'm probably not the one to ask whether it is "worth it" or not. Everything Joe does is "worthy" to me. I study everything he's done that I can get my hands on. It was one of his 80's post Eagles for the first time around and some people were not as fond of that era of Joe's work. Me, well, I like it ALL.

You Bought It -- You Name It

1. I Can Play That Rock & Roll
    2. Told You So
    3. Here We Are Now
    4. The Worry Song
    5. I.L.B.T.'s
    6. Space Age Whiz Kids
    7. Love Letters
    8. Class Of '65
    9. Shadows
    10. Theme From Island Weirdos

MikeA

It's kind of uneven. "I Can Play That Rock&Roll" and "The Worry Song" are two favorites, but the rest are pretty unremarkable. As for his decision to record a song that proclaims "I Like Big Tits" - oh man. :: CRINGE ::

But if you can get a good deal, you might as well buy it. As Mike says, many hardcore Joe fans have a taste for all (or at least a great majority) of his work. Perhaps you'll find it suits your tastes, too.

And perhaps some other folks will disagree with my assessment - interesting to see what songs people like and what they don't!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Overall, not a "happy" album. Two or three of the tracks are sort of "dark" (heavy minor key).

For What It's Worth:

"The Worry Song"...sort of regge' with R&R ambiance. Some good guitar licks in it.

"Theme From Island Weirdos" Joe wrote this one while sailing. Instrumental and very moody. Maybe "elevator music" <LOL> But Joe did several of these weirdos tracks...sort of composed something that fit the situation he was in and two that I know of were on his sailboat as documented in David Crosby's book and possibly in Felder's though I'm not sure about Felder.

"Shadows" Very minor key. Like about one of the "darkest keys" I've heard Joe play in. Again, great guitar work. I think he must have been feeling rather paranoid in this one. Not elevator music!

"Class of '65": One of my least favorite on the album. Synth in it. Sort of reminds me of someone talking about a high school reunion. 65 would have been the year Joe graduated from high school. I don' think the lyrics were terribly inspired. Still, the instrumental composition is good in this one. It makes me feel about the way I felt about high school...not overwhelming <LOL>

"Love Letters" Upbeat. Real Rock & Roll. I'm not even going to comment on the good guitar work in the rest of these...assume that to be true of anything Joe does.

"Space Age Whiz Kids": He had fun with a synth on this one. Definitely could dance to this one. Heavy Beat!

"I.L.B.T,s" ughh....well, you get it. Carried a lot of the beat from Whiz Kids I think. Joe much have wanted to deliver a message with this one. A lot of silicon was probably sold after this song came out. Definitely a song with great social and political import.

"Here We Are Now": Not particularly inspired lyrics, similar to "Class of '65". Joe reflecting on some relationship he'd had.

"Told You So" Hang on!!!!!!! Now this one is GOOD...maybe the best on the album. Great overdriven guitar. I think anyone who likes Joe will like this one. Reminds me a little of "Confessor".

"I Can Play That Rock and Roll": Okay, maybe this one is the best <LOL>. This one is a must have on your MP3 or IPOD.
    Last edited by MikeA; 09-03-2009 at 08:50 AM.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Overall, not a "happy" album. Two or three of the tracks are sort of "dark"
    I have always thought this of this album and truthfully very seldom do I play it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA
    "The Worry Song"...sort of regge' with R&R ambiance. Some good guitar licks in it.

"Love Letters" Upbeat. Real Rock & Roll. I'm not even going to comment on the good guitar work in the rest of these...assume that to be true of anything Joe does.

"I Can Play That Rock and Roll": Okay, maybe this one is the best <LOL>. This one is a must have on your MP3 or IPOD.
    I think Mike is pretty much spot on with these reviews.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

I know this is politically incorrect but in ILBTs I do like it when he says 'I'm a tit man'.... as if we hadn't guessed.

I absolutely love the version of Love Letters. I think it runs rings round Elvis Presley's schmaltzy version. As for Here We Are Now Don & Tim sing on it. Felder is on Told You So.