Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
I love “Island Girl”! We had the 45 record at the time. It has an exciting vibrant feel to it and some creative transitions. I don’t necessarily agree it should have been #1, but it was constantly on the radio.

I recognize most of the songs on this chart and AFAIK, very few of those artists are still active; several are no longer with us. KC and the Sunshine Band and Frankie Vallee from the Four Seasons still perform; I’m not sure if the ABBA hologram tour counts. Elton John does still tour but he hasn’t played “Island Girl” in years, probably b/c it’s not very PC. The Eagles have had the highest profile touring-wise out of all them save Elton, so it’s a testament to the notion that constant touring and playing certain songs do help keep them alive and to “stand the test of time.” I don’t listen to 70s oldies radio - how often are any of these songs heard there? That would be interesting to know.

Considering Lying Eyes is a country song, #2 is a very respectable position on the pop chart!
The Eagles songs survived all through the 80s when they weren't touring because of radio airplay. Listening to the lyrics, I can see what you mean about "Island Girl" not being PC, and I can see why it wouldn't get aired out much today onstage or on the radio. As for the others, I don't listen to radio as much now, but I listened to classic rock radio a lot back in the day. The radio station I listened to played several of those artists a lot - just not those particular songs.

Interestingly, the songs that I have heard from the list, the ones that got played a lot on my radio station, are actually toward the bottom of that list: "S.O.S.", "That's the Way I Like It," "Born to Run," "Saturday Night" (Bay City Rollers), and "Dance With Me." (I never heard "Keep on Tryin'" until I got into the Eagles.)