Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Default Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

34 years ago today, One of These Nights was released.

It's easy for me to identify what I love most about this album: Take It to the Limit. A masterpiece that is my favorite Eagles song from any album - and that's just one of many gems.

I'll write more when I have more time.... there's certainly more to say!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: Happy anniversary One of These Nights!

I think you mean 34 years ago...

I'm loving your new avatar too...

Oops! Fixed. Math is not my forte.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I happen to have the OOTN board style at the moment, which is convenient.

But OOTN is my least favourite Eagles album. Take away the Big Three songs and there isn't that much else that I can classify as favourites.

I will do a summary but I will make it brief.

One Of These Nights - still a classic. Great song.
    Too Many Hands - very underrated with good lyrics and guitar work.
    Hollywood Waltz - in my opinion far too slow and similar to Saturday Night, but lyrically foreshadows the next album.
    Journey Of The Sorcerer - OK, it's different. I give it credit for that but I can't say I'm very fond of it.
    Lyin' Eyes - what else needs to be said about this total masterpiece (yes, I'm biased here. I loved the song from the minute I heard it and I will never tire of it).
    Take It To The Limit - another classic.
    After The Thrill Is Gone - I know a lot of people love this. I'm afraid it has never been a favourite.
    Visions - Felder's only lead vocal has nice moments but it is a throwaway.
    I Wish You Peace - ahem. My least favourite Eagles song.

I love the whole album, but especially my favorite songs are One of this Nights, Lyin 'Eyes, Take It To The Limit and After The Thrill Is Gone.
    OOTN was the last Eagles album which I bought all others I had already.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm kinda with FP here, it's not my least fave but my 2nd to the least. I find that funny since, like Soda, it has my favorite Eagles track of all time on it, TITTL (I love Randy's version the best). It also contains my least favorite Eagles song Journey of the Sorcerer. Love TITTL, LE, OOTN and ATTIG but the rest of the songs just do absolutely nothing for me.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Out on the Border

i actually have to disagree with a few of you, i like Journey Of The Sorcerer, i think the occasional instrumental track is nice, it has really good dynamics and in my opinion is a really great track, i also love I Wish You Peace, a part of me wishes that they would move up Desperado and close with this song, though i know alot you probably wouldn't like that. OOTN is not my favorite album but i don't really have them ranked cause that listing would switch fairly often with my mood.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, in honor of One of These Nights week here on The Border, I will celebrate as usual and try to post something about the album each day. The first thing I think of whenever the album is mentioned is that this is the album that propelled the band towards superstardom. Many people think it was Hotel California, that is really not the case. One of These Nights came out on the heels of the bands first #1 hit, The Best of My Love. The three megahits received almost continuous radio play, and at that point you almost had to be on another planet not to know who the Eagles were. After the Thrill Is Gone was a hit as well, albeit not as big as OOTN, LE, and TITTL. It is also the album that garnered the band their first Grammy win for Lyin' Eyes.

skibum, I think it is safe to say that hell would have to freeze over twice more before I Wish You Peace replaces Desperado in the set list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

LOL Dreamer. I really like the layout. Talk about an eye opener. All the layouts are fantastic this is one of my favorites.

OOTN always finds it's way to the highest volume any speaker can stand,OOTN, Take It To The Limit, Visions, After The Thrill and I Wish You Peace are my favorite tracks. Too Many Hands struck me strange the first few times I heard it but now that I understand it better has also become a favorite. Lyin Eyes is a great song but wasn't until hearing it live that I have a better appreciation for it. Journey Of The Sorcerer, ok to hear every now and then. Take It To The Limit,, what can't be said about this song, tell you what, hearing this one has got me through alot of rough times and good times as well.
    Last edited by Fan_For_Life; 06-10-2009 at 11:07 PM.

I must confess I haven't listened to this album much. I listen to my favourites from the album on my Greatest Hits compilation very often, though, i.e. "One Of These Nights" (that guitar riff, the bass line and drumming do it for me every single time I listen to it - it's fantastic - not to mention Don's great vocal and the fabulous harmonies), "Lyin' Eyes" (another of my big favourites, which I have included in my band song repertoire - wonderful lyrics and vocals) and "After The Thrill Is Gone" (these lyrics are brilliant, and I love the Glenn/Don duet).

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down