Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I kinda skipped this until Freypower focussed in on it. As far as I'm concerned, I Wish You Peace is an Eagles song written by Bernie Leadon and Patti Davis. ie. Don plays drums, Randy plays bass and they all sing harmony vocals, I certainly don't see it as a solo Leadon effort.

I Wish You Peace may have run against their desire to rock out more in 1975 but 40 years later it still sounds good and it isn't that far from, particularly Glenn's, recent stuff.
    And Glenn plays the (IMO) rather essential keyboard part. I asked Bernie about this on his official forum years ago and he confirmed it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY TO ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

It amazes me on an almost daily basis how this band's songs continue to resonate with so many people all over the globe.

Since this is one of my favorite Border board styles, I thought I'd pay homage to it by posting the album's cover art. Just shows how creative Soda was while staying true to the original ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Count me as another fan of the much-maligned "I Wish You Peace." I think it's quite pretty and a lovely sentiment as well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I like I Wish You Peace as well, beautiful song.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Border Troubadour

I don't mind IWYP, it's quite warm and fuzzy, it's just I don't hold much regard for it as an Eagles song. It's calming lyrically and has a smooth solo, but there's nothing about it to say the Eagles recorded it. Other weaker Eagles songs still have something 'Eagles': for example TGFY (sorry FP ) has that distinct Frey-Henley harmony that graces Tequila Sunrise and Lyin' Eyes, and Visions has some decent distinguishable harmonies and great guitar work. For me, IWYP is much like Learn to Be Still and Love Will Keep Us Alive in being quite mediocre, nondescript releases.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I think you've hit the nail on the head tlr - that is exactly how I feel about IWYP. It's not terrible, and is fine to listen to when I'm in the mood for it, but it's just kind of there. I find LWKUA to be more or less the same, again it has calming lyrics and a smooth solo but it's some way off vintage Eagles as far as I'm concerned.

I also agree with your points about TGFY and Visions, and the aspects of those songs you brought up. I prefer the latter as I think its pros (the guitars and the harmony/backup vocals) outweigh its cons (Felder's lead vocal and the lyrics), especially as I feel whereas to me TGFY mainly has the shared vocals and the chorus going for it, the rest being fairly meh.

Having said this, I disagree about Learn To Be Still, a song I like a lot which in my mind is much better lyrically than any of the other songs you mentioned. Both IWYP and LWKUA come across as a little too soppy for the Eagles whereas I find the more thoughtful and introspective lyrics of LTBS raise it substantially above those other two. It certainly feels like a Don Henley song if admittedly less so an Eagles one - where the other two are fairly generic love songs (compared to the more specific situations described in, say, BOML or Lyin' Eyes) LTBS benefits from lyrics that bear Don's stamp as a writer (particularly the use of imagery and biblical references). Musically I can understand why some people aren't crazy about it but I do like the music myself, especially the guitar solo, and I think it does fit the lyrics quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Having said this, I disagree about Learn To Be Still, a song I like a lot which in my mind is much better lyrically than any of the other songs you mentioned. Both IWYP and LWKUA come across as a little too soppy for the Eagles whereas I find the more thoughtful and introspective lyrics of LTBS raise it substantially above those other two. It certainly feels like a Don Henley song if admittedly less so an Eagles one - where the other two are fairly generic love songs (compared to the more specific situations described in, say, BOML or Lyin' Eyes) LTBS benefits from lyrics that bear Don's stamp as a writer (particularly the use of imagery and biblical references). Musically I can understand why some people aren't crazy about it but I do like the music myself, especially the guitar solo, and I think it does fit the lyrics quite well.
    I completely agree with you about LTBS - it is one of my favourite Eagles songs - I love the guitar, the music, the lyrics and it just makes you think about how you live your life sometimes.
    I think its a pity that it went by the wayside as regards being played live or on best of CD's.
    It would be interesting to know their reasoning behind how songs are selected for shows - apart from the obvious hits, they don't really diversify must from a standard setlist.....apart from HOTE tour, when they added some gems of songs (DD/D reprise, SN, TS)

But love OOTN album - especially OOTN and ATTIG. IWYP is nice for a quiet moment
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    ... It certainly feels like a Don Henley song if admittedly less so an Eagles one -...
    Which is what I meant with my reference, I won't fault its lyrical content, but there is just nothing about it to suggest it was an Eagles vice Don Henley song, much like IWYP with Bernie...

I'm a little late, but Happy 40th Birthday to OOTN!!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    All the harmonies?

Glenn can be clearly heard in the 'aaah' part behind 'when your storms are high'. At least I assume it's Glenn. I have never heard of any instance where the harmonies on an Eagles song would be sung by only one Eagle. What is your source for this?
    My own little ears! I shall listen closely again. It all sounds like Bernie to me. I believe you're correct that this is the only Eagles song where one member does all the vocal parts.

UPDATE: I listened on headphones this time and can still only hear Bernie's voice. Anyone else want to weigh in?
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 06-16-2015 at 10:37 AM.