Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Anyone got any links as to where Georgia Peach can be heard?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    From what I understand, "Georgia Peach" was recorded during the Desperado sessions and may very well feature a Bernie/Randy double lead, with Randy's voice more prominent, perhaps because Bernie already had two vocals on the album.
    Gosh, that would be wonderful to hear. Too bad we'll probably never get the chance. Scarlet Sun, do you know if Randy's song "Wait and See" was ever recorded?

TLR: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=3092

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Gosh, that would be wonderful to hear. Too bad we'll probably never get the chance. Scarlet Sun, do you know if Randy's song "Wait and See" was ever recorded?

TLR: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=3092
    yes, it was

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Ta. I know I'm going to spend this evening listening to!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

You'll need your bat sonar on sadly, the sound quality is dire!

I so wish the Eagles could be persuaded to release some of these gems, but they don't seem a bit interested in the reissue-with-rare-tracks trend. A loss for their fans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Bernie Leadon has said that he and his brother had written the music for Hollywood Waltz with different lyrics but Henley-Frey wrote new lyrics and named it. I wondered if they considered having Bernie sing it.
    Bernie has performed Hollywood Waltz, so he could have had the vocals snatched off him as they did with Felder and Victim Of Love.

I can imagine Don dragging his heels when the band were working on I Wish You Peace, so there could be more Leadon in the harmonies than normal but I'm sure it's not the first or last Eagles track that Henley thought was substandard, as he contributed his considerable talents as drummer/singer.

I'm sure the fact that he was a new boy, saved Felder's Visions. Neither the song or the lead vocal are really up to Eagles standard.

I got this in a Google alert. My apologies if it has been posted before. I don't remember ever having read it. I know that it is Eagles In thePress. I'll post it there as well, but I thought it was appropriate here too.
    http://www.thelegacyofmusic.com/2015...-these-nights/

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I got this in a Google alert. My apologies if it has been posted before. I don't remember ever having read it. I know that it is Eagles In thePress. I'll post it there as well, but I thought it was appropriate here too.
    http://www.thelegacyofmusic.com/2015...-these-nights/
    Glenn says: "We took it to L.A., put all the drone guitars and Felder’s solo on in L.A., and went back to Miami to put the vocals on in March."

This too supports my assumption that Glenn did most if not all of the harmonized guitar parts. The harmony (or "drone") guitars were done by "we", while the solo was by "Felder".
    I think that either Glenn and Don played them together, or Glenn was being humble again and didn't find it necessary to emphasize that HE did those guitars as he had already started the sentence with "We took it to L.A."

Personally I think that there's a 2% possibility that Bernie was involved with that kind of guitar stuff.

Stuck on the Border

I frequently see fans of Felder citing One of These Nights as a track that he should have had a songwriting credit on/ wouldn't exist without him. Is this something that Don has claimed, or just because of the bass-line and guitar solo?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I frequently see fans of Felder citing One of These Nights as a track that he should have had a songwriting credit on/ wouldn't exist without him. Is this something that Don has claimed, or just because of the bass-line and guitar solo?
    I think it's only because of the bass line. Some Felder fans (Don himself too, I think) probably think that he should have been credited, because that intro bass line is so distinctive.

But I never see Gene Simmons fans (or Gene himself) complain that Gene should have been credited on Paul's "Black diamond", "Firehouse" and (above all) "Love her all I can", because he wrote the riffs. 80% of "Love her all I can" is carried by the guitar/bass riff Gene wrote when Paul had already written the basic song. Gene didn't feel he needed to be credited on any of those, because Paul had written the basic songs already (chords, vocal melodies and lyrics). Like Glenn, Gene is very modest when it comes to his musical ability.

IMO Don F's story about OOTN is a bit weird. He has said that Glenn only had about one chord when he presented the idea. On the other hand Don F has said that he came up with the bass lines. So, did Glenn have the E minor chord written () and Don F came up with the rest on the bass?

The KISS example:

KISS' "Love her all I can" had already been recorded by Wicked Lester, Gene's and Paul's previous band. The KISS version you can find below starts with Paul's rhythm guitar alone - a sort of "chord riff". What you hear Paul play in the beginning was what he originally wrote for the chorus in terms of instrumental ideas. In the Wicked Lester version Paul kept playing that throughout the choruses, but in the KISS version he only does it in the intro.

When the drum beat starts, you hear the bass (Gene) and the rhythm guitars (Paul & Ace) play a riff. Now, that was written by Gene, and he didn't ask for a credit. And Don F should have been credited, because he wrote the bass lines for OOTN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6WYUyRIMrA
    Last edited by chaim; 06-19-2015 at 05:48 AM.