Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Happy anniversary One of These Nights!

With regard to After the Thrill Is Gone, I think it is a great song in all respects - lyrically, vocally, and musically, and I just LOVE it!!! I remember Glenn saying once that he thought this song was underrated, and I totally agree with him.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I just love this album, as I do all of their albums! Biggest standout for me is, of course, OOTN. It's just so darn sexy!

LE (what a journey!), TITTL (love Randy's version best), ATTIG (imo just brilliant and melancholy) are also wonderful tunes.

I can easily do without JOTS and Visions. I like the rest.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

One of my top five favorite songs of all time is Lyin' Eyes, by any artist. I've loved it for as long as I can remember.

I happen to be a huge fan of After the Thrill is Gone. To me, it says so much... "you're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends"... I think we've all been there. One of my favorite Eagles songs.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

skibum, I think it is safe to say that hell would have to freeze over twice more before I Wish You Peace replaces Desperado in the set list.
    I'm not saying to remove it from the set list, Desperado is probably one of my fav Eagles tunes of all time, I'm just saying to move it up, i love it when artists feel comfortable enough to really play around with a set list not just from tour to tour but from night to night, also then you wouldn't have to listen to the annoying person that screams Desperado between every single song. but i know that are a lot of people out there who will disagree with me, and that i am probably alone in this boat, but I'm OK with that.

Stuck on the Border

If I had my way Desperado would not be the last song they play. It is so dominated by Don that the Eagles appear to be his backing band during it. I would not even have it as one of the encore songs. I would place it somewhere in the middle of the first half - maybe after Lyin' Eyes. Like skibum I am aware that this is not a popular opinion.

Edit: I also apologise for hijacking the OOTN thread here.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-11-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1606 View Post
    I'm not saying to remove it from the set list, Desperado is probably one of my fav Eagles tunes of all time, I'm just saying to move it up, i love it when artists feel comfortable enough to really play around with a set list not just from tour to tour but from night to night, also then you wouldn't have to listen to the annoying person that screams Desperado between every single song. but i know that are a lot of people out there who will disagree with me, and that i am probably alone in this boat, but I'm OK with that.
    I understand what you are saying skibum, and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I mean no offense and am just having a little fun with you. I actually like I Wish You Peace more than a lot of people, although it is not a favorite. However, given its history, I don't think there is much chance that you will get your wish. So, if you will allow me to continue with the fun, I think I need to adjust my comment to say ...

I think hell would have to freeze over about ten times more for I Wish You Peace to become the closer in the Eagles set list.

With regard to Desperado being the closer, I don't have a problem with it. I guess I'm just so accustomed to it. I would, however, love to see them go back to performing it with Don on drums and Glenn on piano. That is definitely my preferred version.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

To give OOTN back it's thread, I tried to move the Desperado comment to another thread in Eagles, titled Song Questions.

Hopefully link will work if anyone wants to jump on in other there. I had another question as well.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=1756

I'm late to this, but I wanted to add my appreciation for OOTN. I think it's a fantastic album - probably my most listened to, apart from Desperado - and, Brooke said it, the title track is sexy as hell. I will never tire of that song.

Lyin' Eyes and Take It To The Limit are obviously classics, and I am a big fan of After The Thrill Is Gone. I put the latter in the same category as The Sad Café. Quite underrated, but quite profound. I adore the lyrics, and I love hearing Don and Glenn share the vocals. They both do a fantastic job.

I had a funny moment with Journey Of The Sorcerer the other day. I was in a different room and I had itunes running in the lounge. I heard this piece of music, which I knew I knew, but I was just drawing a complete blank and couldn't think who or what it was. When it finally clicked what it was, I was almost surprised. My appreciation of it has increased since then. I guess I just heard it in a different way for the first time.

I'm also a fan of I Wish You Peace. I've liked it since I first heard it. My mum almost cried when she first listened to it! I have a soft spot for Bernie, and not every song has to be particularly complex to be meaningful. I love the simplicity of it. To me, it's perfect for what it is.

Happy Anniversary One Of These Nights!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

OK, a bit more time before I'm off to Chicago for the weekend. What an insane couple of weeks this has been!

I agree that OOTN isn't their strongest album, and that it's uneven. However, I still enjoy it a lot - and not just because of the stupendous Take It to the Limit. Song by song:

One of These Nights - I never really thought this song was that great until I heard it live. Then I realized that it is DANG sexy (Edited to add: just realized I pretty much echoed Brooke with that last statement - but it is SMOKIN' HOT so what can I say? lol).

Too Many Hands - truly an underrated song. I think it rocks! I love it when Randy sings "Still you won't hear a sound as she turns around!!" The vocal and melody really give it an edge which is rare for Randy. Great guitar parts, all connected with a rockin' central melodic motif that opens the song and continues throughout.

Hollywood Waltz - Not a favorite; kind of a snoozer melody with a trite theme and an unoriginal central metaphor. However, nice harmonies and the occasional sparkly moment like Don's voice on "they got what they wanted" and everyone coming in on "So give her this dance." Nicely arranged.

Journey of the Sorcerer - the problem with this song isn't that it's not good; it is. It's just that it doesn't really fit the Eagles mold. You can either applaud them for going outside the box or hit "skip" on the CD. One could speculate that Bernie might have shoe-horned it in. However, if you take it on its own without the incongruous context, you can appreciate it. I love its structure, dramatic build, and orchestration. I say, kudos to Bernie.

Lyin' Eyes - what really makes this song for me are the nuanced and subtle differentiations of the harmony lines on each chorus. Listen for them and you'll see what I mean. Little things like that are part of what separate the Eagles from their lessers.

Take It to the Limit - I've spoken of my ardor for this song before, and I hestitate to be repetitive, so I'll simply say that I find it absolutely brilliant. Moving, dramatic, powerful, amazing. Can't get enough of it.

Visions - Felder's lone lead vocal for the Eagles, this often gets a bad rap. Honestly, it's not their best work by any means (A bridge consisting of "Play on El Chingadero" repeated a couple times?? Come on). However, it does have its good moments, too. I like the way he sings "just a taste will do... just a taste of you" line, for instance. Good guitar.

After the Thrill Is Gone - back in the early 90s when all I owned of the Eagles catalog was their two "Greatest Hits," this song wasn't a favorite. I thought it dragged and I didn't really "get it." Now that I'm older and can understand the emotion behind it a bit better, I've come to appreciate it. Also love the dual lead and the creative use of what could have been trite metaphors.

I Wish You Peace - Don Henley himself has trashed this song rather nastily, but I have to disagree with him. I know this is at the bottom of many people's lists, but the straightforward, genuine emotion behind it sells it for me. It warms me up inside a little every time I hear it, and I see I'm not the only one. If a song can touch people like that, if it can move some to tears, I say it's earned its place in the Eagles catalog.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I've used this scale that Scarlet Sun came up with a while back in the anniversary threads for all of the albums that we've celebrated so far, so I figure that I may as well continue using it to rate the songs for all of the remaining albums. As I always say, I don't think there is really a bad Eagles song, so my ratings tend to be very high overall. However, I agree that One of These Nights is one of the bands more uneven albums, so I have a lot more '3's' than I usually do.

1. Take It To the Limit - 5
    2. Lyin' Eyes - 5
    3. One of These Nights - 5
    4. After the Thrill Is Gone - 5
    5. Hollywood Waltz - 4
    6. Too Many Hands - 3
    7. Visions - 3
    8. I Wish You Peace - 3
    9. Journey of the Sorcerer - 3

key:
    5 - I love it
    4 - I really like it