Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Happy (late) anniversary to One of These Nights.

It's either my second or third favorite Eagles album. (The list changes from time to time). I love almost all of the songs on it except I Wish You Peace (I only like it.) and After The Thrill Is Gone. (I know that I'm I'm the minority on this.)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    Happy 41st anniversary to One of These Nights!

Such a unique album in that all of them got a chance to sing lead. That didn't happen again until a few decades later with the release of Long Road Out of Eden.
    The unique albums are Hotel California and The Long Run. Until Felder's lead vocal was replaced for Victim Of Love and probably Those Shoes too. Everybody in the band had, at least, one lead vocal. Felder certainly expecting it, it may even have been part of the agreement when he initially joined the band.

The instrumental, Journey Of The Sorcerer is the new ground that appeals most to me. They've done instrumentals before and since but always tied in with other songs. Could've done without the Banjo tho

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Happy 41st anniversary to One Of These Nights!

Although I recently ranked it last in the Favourite Studio Albums thread, I still really like this album! The three hits are all great songs, as is ATTIG, and I also really like Too Many Hands and Journey Of The Sorcerer, both of which I find to be interesting and unique additions to the Eagles canon. My overall favourite would have to be the title track - absolutely love the blend of the high vocals with the distorted guitars, as I've said before a perfect fusion of harder and softer rock. It's also probably the single most important album in me becoming an Eagles fan as it was the second album I heard after Hotel California (they were the two Eagles albums in my parents' collection) and this led on to me exploring the other albums.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 41ST ANNIVERSARY TO ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

As Soda said, this is the album that really propelled the Eagles into super stardom and garnered the band their first Grammy. I absolutely love the 'big three' hits, and ATTIG. It is unique in that it is the only album that contains a lead by 5 different vocalist. In all the stuff that I've ever read, seen, or heard about the band, I have never heard any indication that there was anything in any members contract regarding lead vocals.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy 42nd Birthday to One of These Nights.

I like majority of the songs on this album expect 3.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Happy 42 Anniversary to OOTN - It is my second favorite album. The only songs I don't care for are I Wish You Peace and Visions. Otherwise love all the other songs.

Soda - I love the new background.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Happy 42 Anniversary to OOTN - It is my second favorite album. The only songs I don't care for are I Wish You Peace and Visions. Otherwise love all the other songs.

Soda - I love the new background.
    Those songs and Journey of the Sorcerer I don't like.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

A great album to listen to still. IMO the problem - if there even is one - with the Eagles discography is that at some point people (including the band members) started to think of their output as this "perfect songbook" and the songs that had the widest appeal (and were the most catchy) were accepted in this "perfect songbook". And the songs that didn't make the "perfect songbook" are seen by many as fillers. Even Glenn called the albums - including OOTN - "two or three songs deep". But if we forget the "catchy/mass appeal" criteria, there's a lot more to discover. A song is not bad even if it doesn't have the same mass appeal. I think OOTN contains songs that are great, but not great in the "mass appeal" way - songs like TMH and JOTS. "Bitter creek" from Desperado is an amazing piece of work (and in my experience more easily loved by people who hate the band) even though it could never be in the "perfect songbook".

EDIT:

In other words...People don't judge Bowie's "Life on Mars" with the same criteria as "Breaking glass". Sometimes it seems to me that all Eagles songs should be great with the same criteria.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-10-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Chaim - I always loved "Bitter Creek" too !
    Also agree about the "mass appeal" too.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Happy 42nd anniversary to the One Of These Nights album! My personal favourite song is the title track, although I think ATTIG runs it close.

I tend to think of this album as being a bit like Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy in that offers a wide variety of musical styles - every song has a unique feel. The R&B influences, most prominently displayed on the title song, give it a different flavour from the earlier albums, but Bernie's presence in particular mean there is still some country rock, which also differentiates it from the two records that followed, particularly The Long Run. In a similar vein, while Glenn is less prominent vocally than he had been previously, unlike HC or TLR Don H was not yet the band's 'main' vocalist either. In this respect, it's also interesting that Bernie and Don F each play lead guitar (or equivalent) on roughly half of the songs on the album - the former on HW, Lyin' Eyes and IWYP (plus the banjo on JOTS) and the latter on the title track, TMH, Visions, ATTIG and I think TITTL.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    A great album to listen to still. IMO the problem - if there even is one - with the Eagles discography is that at some point people (including the band members) started to think of their output as this "perfect songbook" and the songs that had the widest appeal (and were the most catchy) were accepted in this "perfect songbook". And the songs that didn't make the "perfect songbook" are seen by many as fillers. Even Glenn called the albums - including OOTN - "two or three songs deep". But if we forget the "catchy/mass appeal" criteria, there's a lot more to discover. A song is not bad even if it doesn't have the same mass appeal. I think OOTN contains songs that are great, but not great in the "mass appeal" way - songs like TMH and JOTS. "Bitter creek" from Desperado is an amazing piece of work (and in my experience more easily loved by people who hate the band) even though it could never be in the "perfect songbook".
    I think this is absolutely spot on. I think I've had thoughts along these lines for some time, but you've put it into words perfectly. I agree that a lot of excellent deeper tracks are overlooked because of this, particularly on the Desperado album, but it also applies to OOTN. Journey of the Sorcerer, for example, is a highly unique song, not just in the Eagles canon, but by anyone in the rock world. I really like it, even though it's not a catchy radio song (I must say that in my experience, JOTS seems to be the most popular among people who otherwise hate or at least dislike the Eagles).

I think to some extent this has been reinforced by the band's post-1994 setlists, which have predominantly consisted of the 'perfect songbook'. In some ways this is a nice problem to have - in a 3 hour show which includes all (or almost all) of the band's big hits, once you include solo hits from Don, Glenn and Joe there is not much room left for other songs. And there are songs which were sung by Randy or Bernie which have not been played live since they left the band and which usually do not make it onto the compilation albums, TITTL excepted, so the casual fans who only bought the greatest hits CDs would know very few of their songs. Ultimately, I can only summarise by saying that I don't agree with anyone who says that the Eagles albums have only 2-3 good/great songs - there's at least five tracks on every album that I really like.