Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Interesting. Could you expand a bit on that?
    I can't without a guitar! 😄

I'm not saying that Glenn actually was influenced by Don, but it's a feeling I get sometimes. One example. Listen to the rhythm in the phrase Don plays between 2:16 - 2:18 here: https://youtu.be/Q7wZXDBwKcc

Then listen to the beginning of Glenn's solo in TALA. Later in his solo material Glenn often played licks like that (rhythmically), I think.

Stuck on the Border

Here between 2:29 - 2:39 Don plays something that could have been played by Glenn later on, I think. Fluent/smooth playing with that kind of...can't find an adjective..."determined" rhythm. https://youtu.be/u2-7tqIlnLI

Stuck on the Border

Sorry for all these posts, but it's easier for me now than to edit (my phone still plays tricks on me). The specific rhythm I mentioned as an example includes short staccato notes followed by a "tadaa" rhythm. "Tat-tat-tadaa". As I recall Glenn played a lot of those on his solo albums.

But whatever makes me think of Don when I hear Glenn's later solos could be something Glenn was doing already when Don joined. I should listen to Glenn's early solos again!

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I've often felt that certain things Felder played on this album may have influenced Glenn's lead playing in the future. The first couple of bars in the ATTIG solo is rhythmically similar to some things Glenn played later IMO.
    I also hear this. I think if you compare the solo to ICTYW and ATTIG you can hear some clear similarities. Both are slower pace, and very melodic with some nice bends in there as well. I can also see some similarities between that song and TALA solo wise.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Here between 2:29 - 2:39 Don plays something that could have been played by Glenn later on, I think. Fluent/smooth playing with that kind of...can't find an adjective..."determined" rhythm. https://youtu.be/u2-7tqIlnLI
    Apparently that video got blocked in the last few minutes??? Or maybe it's just blocked in the USA.

I see what you're saying, but I do wonder if it might be something that he already tended to do. Listen to this, starting around 1:20:

Of course, that's faster than what your examples, so maybe I'm missing the mark in what you mean. It definitely sounds "determined" to me, though! lol

Side note: how much do I love the bass in that song!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Here, this is a better example - Glenn did the guitar for this, even though it's a Randy song; there's a short solo at 1:49:

Is that kind of what you mean, or am I misunderstanding? I'm no expert.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Here, this is a better example - Glenn did the guitar for this, even though it's a Randy song; there's a short solo at 1:49:

I kinda hear that as well, I actually didn’t know he played lead on that song. His solos are quite distinct to me.

34 years ago today, One of These Nights was released.

It's easy for me to identify what I love most about this album: Take It to the Limit. A masterpiece that is my favorite Eagles song from any album - and that's just one of many gems.

I'll write more when I have more time.... there's certainly more to say!
    This is the best album of all time, take It to the limit, lying eyes, and one of these nights are the best

Stuck on the Border

The very last notes in that solo are ideed similar to what I was talking about ("Taadat-tatadaa, taadat-tatadaa"). Not exactly the same, but the same vibe.

The
    "Island Girl" by Elton John.

See the full chart here:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1975-11-08

I'm sorry Elton fans but...

UNWORTHY.
    I didn't know "Island Girl" either. I went to YouTube to listen to it out of curiosity, and I was REALLY unimpressed. I linked to it in my post (just click on the song title).

I haven't heard of MOST of the other songs on that chart! Guess they didn't stand the test of time like the Eagles.
    I love “Island Girl”! We had the 45 record at the time. It has an exciting vibrant feel to it and some creative transitions. I don’t necessarily agree it should have been #1, but it was constantly on the radio.

I recognize most of the songs on this chart and AFAIK, very few of those artists are still active; several are no longer with us. KC and the Sunshine Band and Frankie Vallee from the Four Seasons still perform; I’m not sure if the ABBA hologram tour counts. Elton John does still tour but he hasn’t played “Island Girl” in years, probably b/c it’s not very PC. The Eagles have had the highest profile touring-wise out of all them save Elton, so it’s a testament to the notion that constant touring and playing certain songs do help keep them alive and to “stand the test of time.” I don’t listen to 70s oldies radio - how often are any of these songs heard there? That would be interesting to know.

Considering Lying Eyes is a country song, #2 is a very respectable position on the pop chart!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...