Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Default Re: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Well, my view and ranking of One of These Nights is decidedly different from most others here, I know. I have railed against this as my least favorite album along with my reasons why in previous threads (such as the the favorite albums and weakest songs threads), suffice it to say the slick, lush, and disco-tinged sound and over-production style kill it for me. As others have said, it is a very uneven album, with a stark dichotomy between Bernie's songs, and most of the rest of the album.

However, while most everyone ranks the 'Big 3' singles as the by far the best of the album, these are not among my favorites. The song OOTN is my least favorite of all their 'hits', and I find it virtually unlistenable. To me, the standout track on the album is the much maligned 'Journey of the Sorcerer', which is just brilliant, a tremendously inventive and exciting mix of bluegrass and spaced-out, otherworldy hipness, probably the only space-age banjo song ever made. It may not sound much like a 'typical' Eagles song, but it is great, and certainly the most original and exciting song on the album. And yes, it does show that Bernie and the Eagles were moving in very different directions at the time. My problem is that I think it was Bernie that was more on the right track, and the Eagles veering off in the wrong direction, but I guess that's just me (Fortunately, they got back on track with HC, unfortunately, however, without Bernie)

Anyway, here is my alternative view ranking of OOTN

1. Journey of the Sorcerer
    2. Take it To The Limit
    3. I Wish You Peace (actually a very nice acoustic song, but it was ruined on the album by the sappy strings and overproduction).
    4. After the Thrill is Gone
    5. Lyin' Eyes
    6. Hollywood Waltz
    7. Visions
    8. Too Many Hands
    9. One of These Nights
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I also love this particular background. The strong colour make the text very easy to read even without my reading glasses.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I love this board style, too - one of my favorites.

I also love reading the different opinions and lists for the albums. BBKron, yours is a very interesting post. Even though your opinions about this album aren't shared by a lot of fans on the board, of course, they are just as valid. I always enjoy reading others viewpoints, particularly when they are well-stated like yours.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

For me it's:

1. One Of These Nights (great tune, great harmony, and one of the best Eagles guitar solos of all time! RnB with a touch of rock n' roll.)
    2. Take It To The Limit (another classic I really love and never gets old and is one of the best.)
    3. After The Thrill Is Gone (a very, very underrated Eagles tune. I love this one!)
    4. Lyin' Eyes (Another great one, but has gotten a bit boring for me in recent times. For one thing, it's too long. I love some long songs but this one bores me after awhile. But still, it's a classic and a great well written song.)
    5. Hollywood Waltz
    6. I Wish You Peace
    7. Too Many Hands
    8. Visions
    9. Journey Of The Sorcerer
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I know many people consider this album weak, but it's a solid part of my favorite Eagles era - Desperado, OTB and OOTN. Like BBK, my list is a bit skewed from everyone else's because I tend to prefer album cuts to singles. I blame the radio station I listened to as a kid that played the same 6 songs over and over.

Here's my list and a few comments about why this album is one of my special ones:

1. After the Thrill is Gone - perhaps my favorite Eagles song of all time. Love the dual lead singers and the lyrics are beautiful. Add the soulfulness of the music and you can just feel that the song comes from the heart.
    2. Hollywood Waltz - I'm a sucker for anything in 3/4 time. Also love the imagery in the lyrics.
    3. Take It To The Limit - Again, 3/4 time.
    4. Journey of the Sorcerer - love to see them taking risks and the power chords blow through me like lightning.
    5. Too Many Hands - I started my Eagles attraction as a Randy fan and got hooked on this song right away.
    6. Visions - The guitar work and the counterpoint backing vocals make this song. The lead vocal, not so much.
    7. Lyin' Eyes - too country for me and suffered from being overplayed.
    8. One of these Nights - too slick for me and also suffered from being overplayed.
    9. I Wish You Peace - BBK made a good point about this being a nice acoustic song. I never listened to it that way until yesterday. Still not a favorite though.

Happy birthday, One of These Nights!

Here's my list:...
    1. One of These Nights...my third all time fave Eagles song
    2.Lyin' Eyes
    3.Hollywood Waltz
    4.Take It To The Limit
    5.Journey of the Sorcerer
    6.After The Thrill Is Gone
    7.Too Many Hands
    8.I Wish You Peace
    9.Visions

I agree that ATTIG is very underrated, for the same reasons that WE stated. It is one of my favorite Eagles's songs & I find that I play it quite often. There is so much meaning in the lyrics.

I also find the album uneven. Too many styles for one album.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay folks - Here are the results of our OOTN album poll. The vote was very close in some cases, but the winner according to this small group of Borderers is Take It To the Limit. Not surprisingly, Lyin' Eyes and One of These Nights follow closely behind with a tie for 2nd and 3rd place. Congratulations TITTL.

Take It To the Limit - 66
    Lyin' Eyes - 62 (tie for 2nd and 3rd place)
    One of These Nights - 62 (tie for 2nd and 3rd place)
    After the Thrill Is Gone - 56
    Hollywood Waltz - 44
    Too Many Hands - 32 (tie for 6th and 7th place)
    Journey of the Sorcerer - 32 (tie for 6th and 7th place)
    Visions - 27
    I Wish You Peace - 24

As always, anyone who still wants to post their list, please feel free to do so. I'll update the results with any new posts.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy birthday to One of These Nights, released on this day in 1975!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy Birthday "One of These Nights"

you gave us so many great songs!...my favorite being your namesake!