Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eagles in Glasgow, Scotland, 4th July

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles in Glasgow, Scotland, 4th July

Have so much fun and report back as soon as you can. I want a detailed report of what Timothy is wearing if it's not a suit!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I'm excited for you! I know you are going to have fun. Yes, please get access to a computer... we will all be in withdrawl if we don't hear from you.

TBF, I will certainly give a detailed report on what Timothy is wearing, and what everyone is wearing, for that matter! I hope I can get to a computer, if not that night, at least the next day! I will be itching to tell you guys all about the concert-I'll take notes!

I've instructed Stars to let our boys know that she's an American in Glasgow on the 4th of July!! Maybe by waving a flag, or shooting off sparklers or something! (Actually, I think she only agreed to the flag...) Let's see if you get some acknowledgement...are your seats close enough that you might actually get some eye contact?
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

EV-personally I think your sparklers idea is genius! That would get someones attention, tho it would probably be the Glasgow police!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

TBF, I'm just imagining myself sitting there setting off sparklers, and the Glasgow police coming up and carting me off, before the show even starts!
    However, I think EV's idea about waving a little American flag will work well.
    EV, I am not sure where my seat is. Mike is being rather vague. I hope it's close and I do get some eye contact-how awesome would that be??
    Mike decided not to go, so I'll be all on my lonesome-however, I was alone at the Hershey concert and met you, EV, and that was fantastic!!

Oh I agree the sparklers would be too much. Why don't you just wear something like this - much more subtle.

~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Warning guys: Don Henley once reprimanded someone for waving an American flag at a concert in a foreign country. No joke, I have it on a bootleg. It was in Dublin, 2006. He says something to the effect of "Put that American flag down, we're guests in this country!" He sounded pretty angry, like he thought they were doing something horribly rude. Ironically, it was during the introduction of Hole in the World, which was inspired by an American tragedy that brought so many Americans together and is a time when it would seem most appropriate to wave an American flag. I was pretty shocked when I heard it, frankly, but apparently he disapproves of displaying American flags at concerts in foreign countries.

Edited to add:

To be fair to Don, I went back and listened to it to see exactly what he said, and he does justify it by saying they were blocking someone's view... however, he also takes the opportunity to use that person's display of the American flag to take a jab at American activities abroad as well. The quote:

"[Hole in the World] was written in the year following 911. [pause as he apparently spots someone holding up an American flag] I wanna respectfully ask you to put the flag down, sweetheart, so the people behind you can see. We're GUESTS in this country. We're GUESTS here. [pause while he presumably points out fan to audience] THAT flag. I appreciate your patriotism but we have asserted our presence PLENTY around the world. [pause for audience applause] Anyway.... we wrote this in the year following 911. This is our little prayer that when we do get some new leaders in America, they will be wiser than the ones we currently have."

If I were that fan, I would have felt pretty humiliated for holding up that flag to "assert my presence" as an American. In Don's eyes, apparently, deservedly so. I would also think it was unfair that my action was being implicitly equated to Bush's foreign policy, but that's JMHO.

All this to say.... I'd nix the American flag idea.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

So he hates the idea of an american being patriotic even in another country? Don, Don, Don

I don't presume to know what Don Henley thinks, but I daresay he doesn't hate the idea of Americans overseas being patriotic in theory, as evinced from his aside to that effect in the midst of his chastisement. Obviously, though, he does have a problem with this visible demonstration of that patriotism.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten