Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eagles in Glasgow, Scotland, 4th July

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles in Glasgow, Scotland, 4th July

Yes, I should have said 'if I were at a concert in the United States on Australia Day and I held up an Australian flag'.

Well, all I can say is that if Soda hadn't told me about Don's reaction, and if I had waved an American flag and he singled me out and told me to put it away, I'm sure the rest of the concert would have been ruined for me. So thanks, again, Soda, I will not pack my little flag when I'm getting ready to go!

I've just come up with a perfect solution. I'll wear my sweatshirt with an American flag on it! Don can't very well ask me to remove my shirt, can he??

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Somewhere I read (a blog somewhere) about someone taking a sign to a concert and they only held it up for a few seconds at a time, being mindful of people behind them, and Don sent someone to tell them personally to put it down because he didn't like it.
    I am so glad that didn't happen to me in Oklahoma. I would have cried. And drunk myself into oblivion. Not necessarily in that order!

As for the flag thing... I can see where Don is coming from to a degree, and I respect his views, but I do think it was mean and rather uncalled for to humiliate somebody like that. Put it in context - it's a fan at a rock concert, wanting to let the band know that she is from their homeland and presumably that she has travelled across the Atlantic to see them. You would have thought he might have realised that. The fact that the crowd applauded, however, as Soda says in her transcript (thank you for doing that!), does suggest that those views were shared by other audience members. Unless they were just sycophants who thrived on a bit of 'drama'. I think Don saw an opportunity to criticise American foreign policy, and took it. His outspokenness is one of the things that attracts me to him, but I do think things like this could be handled much more sensitively. I'll bet that poor woman was mortified and has probably never been to an Eagles gig since. Was it really worth it?

Sidenote: The "sweetheart" bit made me LOL. Patronising git. I would love to hear that recording.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    I've just come up with a perfect solution. I'll wear my sweatshirt with an American flag on it! Don can't very well ask me to remove my shirt, can he??
    If he does, you've pulled!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    TBF, I'm just imagining myself sitting there setting off sparklers, and the Glasgow police coming up and carting me off, before the show even starts!
    However, I think EV's idea about waving a little American flag will work well.
    EV, I am not sure where my seat is. Mike is being rather vague. I hope it's close and I do get some eye contact-how awesome would that be??
    Mike decided not to go, so I'll be all on my lonesome-however, I was alone at the Hershey concert and met you, EV, and that was fantastic!!
    Awww, shucks...

I bet your seat is a great one, if Mike won't tell.

Troub hit the nail on the proverbial head. My only reason for suggesting you bring something Red, White, and Blue was to let an American band know that an American fan traveled across the pond to see them on the American Independence Day. It actually doesn't have to be a flag...and apparently, it better not be! I like the outfit promoted by PM and modeled by JW...and look what happens to Glenn when you wear it! I think you'd better rethink the sweatshirt issue, Stars! Go for the whole striped jumpsuit thingy...that and the sparklers! Surely Don won't mind something as subtle as all that!

Ahh, just go ahead and have fun, ya hear?!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yes, I should have said 'if I were at a concert in the United States on Australia Day and I held up an Australian flag'.
    And it was an Australian band...I'd think it was a great show of fandom and support! Go for it!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Good grief! That person must have been truly humiliated to be singled out like that! I'm sure they were just trying to have fun and let them know they were from the US.

I wonder why Don gets so upset with this kind of thing and no one else does? He seems to be the only one who does this kind of thing. Who appointed him crowd moderator? You would think that security would already know about this and take care of it themselves if it's such a big deal to him.

Somewhere I read (a blog somewhere) about someone taking a sign to a concert and they only held it up for a few seconds at a time, being mindful of people behind them, and Don sent someone to tell them personally to put it down because he didn't like it. They were very embarrassed, but at least they weren't singled out from the stage!
    I agree with you Brooke! I seriously have problems with him telling people what to do, especially if they aren't truly disrupting things, after that fan has paid mega amounts of $$$ to see them! He seems to think he can dictate everything and everyone in the crowd! I've said it before---IT'S A FRICKIN' ROCK CONCERT PEOPLE!!! Sorry--just MHO!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    FP, I assume for the sake of sameness that you would be holding your flag on your national holiday at a concert in the United States. Personally I would think that you were a fan letting the band know that you are from Australia. It certainly doesn't bother me to see the flag of another country being waved by a concert goer. It's a non - issue.
    I feel exactly the same way, PM!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Fp, I wouldn't have a problem with it either, and feel the same way as everyone else!

And TBF, I'm with you! I think Pm said it....Don can be an xss.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten