Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Celebration of "Strange Weather"

On this day in 1992 Glenn's Strange Weather was released.

This is my all time favorite Eagles solo album. There are simply no weak songs on it, IMHO. For any of you who have not ever heard it, I would encourage you to give it a listen. It is Glenn at his finest. I've got to run some errands this afternoon so I think this will be the featured album of the day in my car's CD player.

Happy Birthday Strange Weather!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Happy Birthday "Strange Weather"

This is my favorite Glenn Frey album, I love every song from the album!
    To celebrate the day, I had listen the CD on the way to work and again at home!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Of course I, like everyone (I assume), loves POMPOY. Others that stick out to me are Love In The 21st Century, Brave New World and I really like I've Got Mine. Not my fave album of his but still a really outstanding one I think.

Anxious to get others take on this album.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Definitely my favorite of his. I like every song on it. My favorites are POMPOY, River of Dreams, and Brave New World. The first two are very melodic, romantic, and uplifting both lyrically and musically. Brave New World is exciting, like a novel. More thoughts when I have more time!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

This is off topic, but does anyone know why Itunes doesn't carry any of Glenn's albums? They have Don's and Joe's (none of Timothy's)... what's up with that?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

The last time I looked for Glenn on iTunes you could get the Masters Collection. Sadly, I think most of his work is no longer available commercially and so it was never made available to iTunes.

I have a great deal to say about Strange Weather because as with Dreamer, it is my absolute favourite solo album by ANY Eagle. However, I will save that for tomorrow when I have a long time to think about it.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

In honor, I'm listening to Strange Weather today at work. I have the office to myself today!

Of course as with most of you, my favorite track is POMPOY. I also really love I've Got Mine and River of Dreams.

Here's the track listing. I will rate it later.

1. Silent Spring [instrumental prelude]
    2. Long Hot Summer
    3. Strange Weather
    4. Agua Tranquilla [instrumental]
    5. Love in the 21st Century
    6. He Took Advantage [Blues for Ronald Reagan]
    7. River of Dreams
    8. I've Got Mine
    9. Rising Sun [instrumental]
    10.Brave New World
    11.Delicious
    12.A Walk in the Dark
    13.Before the Ship Goes Down
    14.Big Life
    15.Part of Me, Part of You

He was quite ambitious putting 15 songs on it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    This is off topic, but does anyone know why Itunes doesn't carry any of Glenn's albums? They have Don's and Joe's (none of Timothy's)... what's up with that?

legalsounds.com a lesser known legal music downloading site have Solo Collection and Live in Dublin available. They cost 9 cents per track.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Thank you, GA!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Happy Anniversary "Strange Weather"

Today marks the 18th anniversary of what I believe is Glenn's best solo album - Strange Weather. Around these parts, I don’t think it’s any secret about how much I love this album. It is my very favorite of any of the Eagles’ solo albums. IMO, it is very strong from start to finish, and is Glenn’s only solo album where he tackles so much serious topical subject matter. Maybe it is Glenn confronting his mortality. In addition, the album has a perfect mix and variety of songs with regard to musical styles, tempo and subject matter. Even the placement order of the songs is masterful because it very effectively holds your interest for over 60 minutes and 15 tracks. It’s such a shame that this album didn’t achieve more recognition and promotion so more people were aware of it, and could experience its wonderful music. Unfortunately, there is so much great work out there that is never brought to the attention of the general public. While I know everyone may not love it as much as I do, I would encourage you to buy it. If you are even a casual fan of Glenn, then you won’t be sorry once you hear this. I’ve not done a thorough review of this album before, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I tried not to make this too repetitive, but it is a bit difficult to do. Anyway, here I go with the system I always use to rate the songs in the order that I love/like them …

I Love It (5)

Part of Me, Part of You (5+) – This song is masterful and flawless, IMHO. I’ll never understand why it was overlooked for an Academy Award nomination - but such is life. I love the way this wonderfully exhilarating song begins to play right at the end of that famous final scene of Thelma and Louise as the credits begin to roll. For me, this is the embodiment of a perfect song.

River of Dreams (5) – Wow! What a beautiful song! The music, the lyrics, the vocals, the melody, the cadence, the arrangement – all amazing! Talk about how lyrics can create certain imagery - Glenn and Jack Tempchin may as well have had a canvass and paint brush when they wrote this one.

I've Got Mine (5) – I love everything about this song, including the message. Again, Glenn’s word imagery in his song about “the haves and the have-nots” paints exactly the right mood, and the awesome music is the perfect complement. He manages to deliver a rather scathing admonishment about the greedy and compassion for the less fortunate all wrapped up into one.

Before the Ship Goes Down (5) – Okay – this may be getting repetitious, but I love everything about this rockin’ song, too. What a wonderful commentary on mortality here. Loving the way he plans to check out – all summed up perfectly in the final verse …
    “If somebody told you this was your last night
    Wouldn't you want somebody to treat you right
    Throw you a party, take you for a ride downtown
    And be with all your old friends
    Before the ship goes down
    Just love me one more time
    Before the ship goes down”
    He Took Advantage [Blues for Ronald Reagan] (5) – The way Glenn uses his voice here allows him to deliver this scathing chastisement in a way that doesn’t come across as a rant. I love it when someone can tell someone off and they don’t even realize what hit ‘em. Glenn rarely does political commentary, but he made some excellent choices here, which get the song’s message across very effectively. Great “blues” music too.

Long Hot Summer (5) – One again, the amazing thing about this song is how the lyrics and music set the mood. By the time you finish listening to this one, you’re ready to shed a few layers cause you are feelin’ the heat. Another huge in every way!!!

Big Life (5) – This is probably one of the most underrated songs on the album. I think it is an awesome, clever satirical commentary. Glenn's acting abilities are really showcased here with his masterful delivery. I’m normally not a fan of this ‘talking‘ (or in this case sometimes boisterous ‘shouting’) style, but in this case it works to actually enhance the song’s effectiveness.

Love in the 21st Century (5) – Again, this is an extremely clever song to me. I get the message and can really relate to it. Actually, the message is more applicable today than it was when the song was written almost 20 years ago i.e. “she’s my video date, she’s my destiny”. Wow – how prophetic! I love the music (it rocks) and the lyrics, especially this part of the last verse …
    "I can't touch you and you can't touch me
    It's love in the 21st Century
    It's all imagination and fantasy
    That's love in the 21st Century
    You can get it by mail; you can get it by phone
    You can get it late at night when you're all alone”
    Brave New World (5) – Alrighty then – sure, it’s kind of the same old “love will keep us alive’ kind of theme, but this story is told with sophisticated lyrical imagery. The music is great and serves to extenuate the hopeful mood of the song. Yet another winner!

Silent Spring [instrumental prelude] (5) – This is a simply beautiful timeless piece of music. I love it’s placement on the album and I loved how they played it live to open the second set in the Farewell I Tour. This used to be my favorite musical composition by Glenn until I Dreamed There Was No War.

Agua Tranquillo [instrumental] (5) – Very beautiful composition. Again, I love the placement of the song between Strange Weather and Love In the 21st Century.

I Really Like It (4)

Delicious (4) – Although I'm usually in agreement with Soda about Glenn's falsettos, this one is an exception. It works well in this song for me because I think of it as his 'daddy' voice talking to Taylor. The lyrics can definitely be interpreted as sugary sweet or hot and sexy here. Where I object to the falsetto is when a song is blatantly sexy such as Let's Go Home - I'd just rather hear a guy ask me to go home in a low, masculine, sexy voice.

A Walk in the Dark (4) – This song is beautiful as well, although I find that Glenn’s understated delivery, melody, and the slow tempo all combine to cause it to drag a little too much for me to rate it as one that I love. I realize the slow tempo is probably for effect, but I just think it makes the song a little less interesting. However, the lyrics are incredibly sexy – the line “surrender to the rapture, deep within” come to mind. The images conjured up with such lyrics call to mind that canvass and paintbrush analogy again.

Strange Weather (4) – Well, I guess it speaks volumes about the quality of this album that I think my least favorite is still a great song. I love how Glenn ties this ‘love’ song in with the concept of the album by using the weather references. The mixed messages of hope and despair also fit in very well thematically with the rest of the album. Although, I love the fact that Glenn experimented with so many different musical styles on the album, the jazz style here is not my favorite.

Rising Sun [instrumental] (4) – This song is such a perfect prelude to Brave New World that I think part of the song is missing if I don't hear it. I like it a whole lot, but don’t think it is quite as melodic as the other two instrumentals on the album.

key:
    5 - I love it
    4 - I really like it
    3 - I like it
    2 - meh
    1 – yikes

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016