Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Happy Birthday "Strange Weather"

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    This is off topic, but does anyone know why Itunes doesn't carry any of Glenn's albums? They have Don's and Joe's (none of Timothy's)... what's up with that?

legalsounds.com a lesser known legal music downloading site have Solo Collection and Live in Dublin available. They cost 9 cents per track.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Thank you, GA!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Soda, that is excellent. I am not sure I can add to what you have said.

NB: You have listed one of the instrumentals as 'Agua Tranquila' which is of course what it should be called (the adjective should agree with the noun). However on the CD case it is listed as 'Agua Tranquillo'. Regarding this and the other instrumentals, they all appear to be variations on a theme to some extent. My favourite is Rising Sun - in that last chord you hear the whole mystery of the Orient (Glenn has expressed his appreciation of Japanese culture).

Long Hot Summer - perfect, eerie opening which sets the tone for the album in its opening line, 'Lord I ain't ever seen weather like this'. Both the environmental themes and the sense of dislocation and 'not belonging' are expressed perfectly here. This really is unlike anything he's ever done before (like the rest of the album).

Strange Weather - fantastic evocation of a relationship under stress. The jazzy piano is something new. He has not done anything as close to jazz musically as this song. It's good to sing along with too, although it's so sad, but as Soda said he still thinks 'it can be that way again' so he's sending a message of hope.

Love In The 21st Century - some of the most acerbic lyrics this team has written. He referred to the 'loneliness industry' and, bless him, quoted Eleanor Rigby, perhaps the greatest song ever written about alienation. And yet there is a lot of dark humour in the protagonist's situation here (I don't know her/she don't know me/she's my video date/she's my destiny'). Just the juxtaposition of a banal term like 'video date' with the all-encompassing 'destiny' sums it up. Great slide guitar and sung superbly. He does some of the best singing of his career on this album.

He Took Advantage (Blues For Ronald Reagan) - I am not sure about Soda's hypothesis that Frey and Tempchin started out feeling postive about Reagan given that Glenn has always been a Democrat, to my knowledge. But the way he makes Reagan a cheating lover, as opposed to the 'tired old man we elected king' in EOTI, gives the song a different perspective. I love Glenn when he's bluesy and I love this vocal, the way it rises and falls, and as Soda does, I love that key change.

River Of Dreams - a deeply felt personal experience which has to be heard to be believed. Incredibly moving. The sax just adds to the mood of life changing and exhilaration.

I've Got Mine - some political commentary! The surprises never end on this album! Again he juxtaposes the imagery of the rich man drinking champagne with the poor guy on the sidewalk. He makes you really feel the injustice of the situation.

Brave New World - Glenn quotes Shakespeare and Aldous Huxley! If this isn't about the war in Bosnia, that is what I think about when I hear it. Beautiful sweeping melody, with great urgency. I particularly like the way he sings 'everything that we worked for/they took from our hands'. Again he's used more 'weather' imagery here too.

Delicious - ahem. This is quirky, it is audacious (love that abrupt ending)! and it is hot, as Soda said. OOHEE. No further comment.

A Walk In The Dark - and then comes THIS just when you think you can't take any more excitement. This is intimate, sensual, everything I could wish for. The chord change before 'this is the way I want to dance with you' is stunning. The way he sings the line 'follow the road in your heart' - the way he pronounces the last T - oh yes. This song means far too much to me to describe in any further detail.

Before The Ship Goes Down - here he takes a dark and ironic look at more lighthearted earlier songs like Partytown and turns it into a celebration of mortality. To quote him 'Let's have the Dom Perignon'!

Big Life - Soda summed this up very well indeed. I think it is interesting the way it mentions several places that have loomed large in Glenn's own life - Aspen, LA, Hawaii (we'll find some peace/just you, my staff and I)! Not to mention the 'getting into the movies' part which is somewhat more ironic. I love the way it follows the trajectory of the man's career and yet 'he's still the boss', or so he thinks despite evidence to the contrary.

Part Of Me, Part Of You - the highlight of his entire solo career, one of the most uplifiting, transcendent, joyous pieces of music by anyone at any time. I am grateful for its existence and he sings the absolute shit out of it (I can't mince words here).

I think I did better there than I thought I would.

Wow, Soda and FP, those are very impressive reviews from both of you. I can't add anything to it.

FP, I just wanted to say that, after reading your review of "A Walk In The Dark", I realised just how naughty you are!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I really cannot add to either Soda's or FP's reviews. Girls they are stunning. For my own part I would say that Strange Weather is probably Glenn 's finest solo work. It combines Intstrumentals with vocals, ballads with social commentary and fun with the more serious sides of life, and to have 15 tracks of such quality on 1 album in indeed an achievement. I have to say I dither between it and and Soul Searchin' as my 'Favourite' album of Glenn 's (Hell its like trying to pick a favourite kid or something).

In terms of favourite songs on it I would have to go with POMPOY - Its a sheer 'feel good' song, and no matter how often I hear it I still grin from ear to ear.
    I also love 'Brave New World'. My heart always does a little flip on 'Remember you will always be my girl......' Yeah, I can wish I suppose....
    River of Dreams - melting......
    'A Walk in the Dark'......he could seduce me with that song anytime......
    And finally both instrumentals sre a joy to listen and relax to.......

I picked this up for a fiver on eBay last year

Last edited by Glennsallnighter; 06-25-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Nice job Soda and FP. There's nothing much I can add. As I said before, I really don't think there are any weak tracks on the Strange Weather album, so I'll do the same thing I did for No Fun Aloud. I have to divide them up into "I absolutely love the song" or "I like the song a whole lot". So...

"I absolutely love the song"

Silent Spring [instrumental prelude]
    Long Hot Summer
    Aqua Tranquillo [instrumental]
    Love in the 21st Century
    He Took Advantage [Blues for Ronald Reagan]
    River of Dreams
    I've Got Mine
    Brave New World
    Before the Ship Goes Down
    Big Life (Probably one of the most underrated songs on the album. I think it is a great, clever satirical commentary. Glenn's acting abilities are really showcased here with his masterful delivery.)
    Part of Me, Part of You

"I like the song a whole lot"

Strange Weather

Rising Sun [instrumental] (This song is such a perfect prelude to Brave New World that I think part of the song is missing if I don't hear it.)

Delicious (Although I'm usually in agreement with Soda about Glenn's falsettos, this one is an exception. It works well in this song for me because I think of it as his 'daddy' voice talking to Taylor. The lyrics can definitely be interpreted as sugary sweet or hot and sexy here. Where I object to the falsetto is when a song is blatantly sexy such as Let's Go Home - I'd just rather hear a guy ask me to go home in a low, masculine, sexy voice. )

A Walk in the Dark

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really listen to songs, any songs, well enough. Soda and Fp, you guys are good! I've learned more from you two that I could never get from just the song itself! I find myself needing to go home, put the cd in, print out a copy of your analysis' and close my eyes and try to take it all in!

I give!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Part Of Me, Part Of You - the highlight of his entire solo career, one of the most uplifiting, transcendent, joyous pieces of music by anyone at any time. I am grateful for its existence and he sings the absolute shit out of it (I can't mince words here).

I think I did better there than I thought I would.
    You certainly did. What a fantastic analysis! As for your statement that he "sings the absolute shit out of it" - I try to avoid cussing but sometimes it's understandable.

His voice is absolutely amazing on POMPOY, so strong, so vibrant, so full of heart. It is one of the best examples of the vocal power that makes him the favorite of many Eagles fans, myself included. Textured, rich, evocative, so drenched in emotion that it draws you to the song like a magnet - we all want to experience that powerful feeling as much as he does. Thanks to his talent, we can.

Magnificent.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Thanks to people who liked the reviews. In my case, I wanted to try very hard. MF, I am glad you thought I was 'naughty' regarding AWITD. I had to think about what I wrote for that song. I could possibly have written a page about it and about every other song on this album.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Ok, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really listen to songs, any songs, well enough. Soda and Fp, you guys are good! I've learned more from you two that I could never get from just the song itself! I find myself needing to go home, put the cd in, print out a copy of your analysis' and close my eyes and try to take it all in!

I give!
    I know what you mean---I'm feeling a wee bit inadequate when it comes to my review. I need to start listening and dissecting the songs a little more and see if I get more out of it. I've always just loved music but never thought about it any further than that--I need to pay more attention perhaps.
    He sings it high, he plays it low