Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Happy Anniversary "Strange Weather"

HAPPY 20TH ANNIVERSARY TO STRANGE WEATHER!!!

Wow - what a milestone. Hard to believe that it's been 20 years since Glenn's masterpiece was released. I'm a day late with my congratulations, but, that doesn't detract from the fact that this is one of my alltime favorite albums by anyone! I know, I've said it before, but I absolutely adore this album. WE, I loved reading your review, and I totally agree with you that Glenn should do a blues album. The fans of this album may differ a little in the order that we like the songs, but we seem to be on the same page about the overall excellence of the album. As always, I encourage anyone who hasn't heard this album to give it a listen.

I have already done a song-by-song review earlier in this thread, so I'll just repeat the order of my favorites here ...

1. Part of Me, Part of You
    2. River of Dreams
    3. I've Got Mine
    4. Before the Ship Goes Down
    5. He Took Advantage [Blues for Ronald Reagan]
    6. Long Hot Summer
    7. Big Life
    8. Love in the 21st Century
    9. Brave New World
    10. Silent Spring
    11. Agua Tranquillo
    12. Delicious
    13. A Walk in the Dark
    14. Strange Weather
    15. Rising Sun

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

Thanks for your review, VA! I enjoyed reading your views on this album & I agree with a lot of them.

Have you seen the video of "River of Dreams" that co stars Cindy? I was wondering because you said that it you cans see a winter scene when you listen to this & the video takes place in the summer. If you haven't seen it you're in for a treat. Glenn is always saying that if you write well enough people can take many meanings from it.

Oh, you were about the dedication on "Strange Weather". Linda & Gerry are Cindy's parents.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Thanks for your review, VA! I enjoyed reading your views on this album & I agree with a lot of them.

Have you seen the video of "River of Dreams" that co stars Cindy? I was wondering because you said that it you cans see a winter scene when you listen to this & the video takes place in the summer. If you haven't seen it you're in for a treat. Glenn is always saying that if you write well enough people can take many meanings from it.

Oh, you were about the dedication on "Strange Weather". Linda & Gerry are Cindy's parents.
    I got the winter image the first time I heard the song. I saw the video later and I absolutely adore it, but the winter image stuck in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    I got the winter image the first time I heard the song. I saw the video later and I absolutely adore it, but the winter image stuck in my mind.
    Funny how our first images seem to stick, even though we see ths videos over & over. That has happened to me with a few songs too.

Stuck on the Border

I recently bought the CD and I'm gradually absorbing it. I like it a lot more than I expected.

Today's song was "A walk in the dark" which I like a lot but it seemed a little odd. It's a slow, moody song with an aching loneliness. At first, I thought it was someone in an established relationship trying to instill a little romance but that's overturned by the last line when it switches to third person: "He dreams of love, one night of love". So they're not lovers and he's only after one night. In the dark. In a park with noone around. Cold chill - a stalker? The CD booklet dedicates it to Anne Rice. Is this Anne Rice, writer of erotic vampire books? A vampire stalker?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I recently bought the CD and I'm gradually absorbing it. I like it a lot more than I expected.

Today's song was "A walk in the dark" which I like a lot but it seemed a little odd. It's a slow, moody song with an aching loneliness. At first, I thought it was someone in an established relationship trying to instill a little romance but that's overturned by the last line when it switches to third person: "He dreams of love, one night of love". So they're not lovers and he's only after one night. In the dark. In a park with noone around. Cold chill - a stalker? The CD booklet dedicates it to Anne Rice. Is this Anne Rice, writer of erotic vampire books? A vampire stalker?
    Yes, it is that Anne Rice. I have never read any of her books & I therefore cannot comment on them.

With respect, I think you have overanalysed the shift to third person at the end. I don't think this overturns the rest of the lyric at all, although I have always wondered why it occurs. The song is exquisite. The lovers are so close to each other & the singing is so passionate during the 'this is the way I want to dance with you' part that I can't believe it could only be a one night stand.

I tend to think that 'he dreams of love/one night of love' just adds an extra dimension to the 'dreamy' experience. You can dream about yourself in third person. I wish I could explain it better than that.

Hmmmm. I never thought about it that way.... interesting idea, UTW. I just assumed they were two people in a relationship but the dedication to Anne Rice and the switch to third person does add the possibility of an edge to it that I hadn't really considered before.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy birthday to Strange Weather!

My favorite of Glenn's solo albums. I adore it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 22nd Birthday to Strange Weather.

Stuck on the Border

Happy Birthday, Strange Weather. Considering that I hadn't heard of you for the first 21 years of your life, you've worked your way into mine - or at least the CD player in my car.

It's in my top 3 Glenn Frey albums but I struggle to narrow it down further. I think there are a few songs on NFA that I like better than any on these, but I can play all of Strange Weather without skipping a track. My favourites are:
    Long Hot Summer
    He Took Advantage of You (Blues for Ronald Reagan)
    A Walk in the Dark