Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: "Don Henley Music Videos" Survivor Game

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: "Don Henley Music Videos" Survivor Game

EL, while I agree that the EIDN video is EEK, I don’t agree with you that the video makes no sense. I totally get the message the video is supposed to convey. The problem I have with it is that while attempting to depict Don’s past lifestyle with the horrible imagery and characters, they forget to show how "everything is different now". I think that the video maybe could have actually been effective if it were less grotesque and they had shown a contrast between the two lives.

I do agree though that the video just doesn’t work to complement the song at all. It actually detracts from the song and it deserves to be the first to be voted off. However, since it won’t need my help, I am going to cast a strategic vote.

I cast my vote for The Heart of the Matter.

BTW - where are all of our Survivor game players? You have until tonight at 8:00 p.m. ET to cast your vote in this round.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I vote for Everything Is Different Now.

I don't feel as strongly about it as many previous posters - Dreamer got it spot on, for me, I know exactly what it was trying to convey - but it's just my least favourite of the lot.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

BTW - where are all of our Survivor game players? You have until tonight at 8:00 p.m. ET to cast your vote in this round.
    I'm afraid I'm not familiar with a few of these and if I have seen them, it's been EONS ago and so I don't feel it's fair for me to play. I did order my dvd this morning so with any luck I will get it very soon and can get in on the last few rounds.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I cast my vote for The Heart of the Matter.
    OMG!

As far as EIDN, I love the song, but just can't watch that video! At first I was going to vote for Johnny, but even that video is better than this one!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke, remember, this is voting on the video, not the song. The Heart of the Matter is my favorite solo song of Henley's. I find it incredibly moving. However, the video is bizarre and nonsensical to the point of being immensely distracting from the power of the song. I'm gonna be voting for it once we get rid of the wretched video for Everything Is Different Now.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Ouch

Of course this is all JMHO. Perhaps I'm just not getting the message of the video for HOTM. Anyone wanna try and explain it to me? I'd especially like to know why the little girl abandoning the old guy to die in the dirt at the end is "about forgiveness."

Edited to add: To be fair, I did conduct my own analysis of the video for DHO, and this is what I came up with:
    Perhaps the old man represents past hurt and resentment and the child a future without such baggage. The workers perhaps represent the human struggle, fraught with a sense of hopelessness and oppression. Henley's old-fashioned surroundings from different time periods might (and I emphasize MIGHT) signify him as an observer outside of time. This is just me guessing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Why Johnny Can't Read? That one makes sense, EIDN is EEK
    I can certainly understand the eekiness of EIDN.

HOTM is one of the multi-layered videos that I tend to like more than just the cut and dry subjects. I know it speaks of forgiveness between a man and woman relationship but for someone who isn't in a relationship it also helps to convey more than just the message of a relationship between a man and woman. Maybe the effects of the broken relationship is where the little girl comes in, I guess this because of the angry look she gives as she looks in the circus tent. The woman in the field is working to restore something and the man is so weighed down with something that he finally hits the ground. Of course I too am guessing.

Actually I think interpreting these videos can be part of the fun of this Survivor! Thanks for your ideas, FFL.

Stuck on the Border

For what it's worth I agree with Soda about the HOTM video. To me the imagery has nothing to do with the song.

Regarding EIDN, I agree with Dreamer's comments about it. He forgot to include the 'everything is different now' part.