Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The End of the Innocence"

Default Re: Celebration of "The End of the Innocence"

I still remember buying this album as a bootleg in the backroom of music store in the Jeddah souk... not because I was trying to save money, but because in Saudi Arabia (where I was living at the time), rock music was literally contraband and I could not obtain it legally. It was in a cassette tape in a heatproof case with a cover that had been photocopied, and it cost 10 riyals. I told this story in much greater detail in this thread already, so I'm just giving the Cliff Notes version here, but I remember it each time the anniversary rolls around.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY END OF THE INNOCENCE!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Interesting story, Soda. I've never heard that story. I did go back and read it early in the post.

Last Worthless Evening always makes me melt especially the music video (hot late 80s Don. I wonder who came up with the long hair. LOL) and I Will Not Go Quietly

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I love this album, my favorite of Henley's (and in my opinion, his best)! I remember my mom had it on cassette when I was a kid, when I got into the eagles and their solo careers much later I remembered seeing the album cover, with Henley with the long hair and cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I love this album, my favorite of Henley's (and in my opinion, his best)! I remember my mom had it on cassette when I was a kid, when I got into the eagles and their solo careers much later I remembered seeing the album cover, with Henley with the long hair and cigarette.

It's not his best look, but he makes it work!

IMO. I love it when it was down. Not in a ponytail. Why grow your hair long and have it in a ponytail that year and few months.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Once again, we have a discrepancy about the release date of an album. We have traditionally celebrated the release date as June 20, 1989 here; however, Amazon and Wikipedia both have it listed as June 27, 1989. In any event, it's hard to believe the album is 30 years old. I adore the album - it's my very favorite of Don's solo albums by far and my second favorite of all the band members solo albums. However, as much as I love the album, I am definitely not a fan of long-haired Don. This was not his best era as a fashionista, IMHO.

HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY THE END OF THE INNOCENCE!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

A great album and solo effort by Don. It went 6x Platinum in the U.S. and ranked #389 on Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. My favorite song is “Heart of the Matter.”

I agree he makes the long hair work, even though I prefer him with short hair.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I still remember buying this album as a bootleg in the backroom of music store in the Jeddah souk... not because I was trying to save money, but because in Saudi Arabia (where I was living at the time), rock music was literally contraband and I could not obtain it legally. It was in a cassette tape in a heatproof case with a cover that had been photocopied, and it cost 10 riyals. I told this story in much greater detail in this thread already, so I'm just giving the Cliff Notes version here, but I remember it each time the anniversary rolls around.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY END OF THE INNOCENCE!
    What a cool memory tied to the purchase of this album. Almost sounds dangerous.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    What a cool memory tied to the purchase of this album. Almost sounds dangerous.
    I'm thinking those backrooms must have been an open secret with the amount of people going in and out of there in broad daylight. The right palms getting greased... but yeah, I guess technically, I was in possession illegal goods! They also made an effort to appease the Mutawa - I have a Madonna cassette tape where they colored over her outfit with a permanent marker to make sure no skin was showing LOL.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm a date late, but I wanted to mention that yesterday, Feb. 21, marks the 20th anniversary of Don winning the best male rock vocal grammy for The End of the Innocence. It was definitely well-deserved. I love the song and Don's mournful, yearning vocals.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

This Grammy show was on YouTube and I got the whole show in my collection. I need to find it.

Poor, Don. It almost wasn't his night.