Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson dies at age 50

Default Re: Michael Jackson dies at age 50

This is shock! a great loss, I have heard it today morning on the radio.
    I could not believe it.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm still truly in shock of the events of yesterday. I was a child of the 70's and he and Farrah were the 2 biggest icons ever from that era. I choose to remember him as a young Michael singing ABC or I'll be there with his brothers or moonwalking across a stage to Billie Jean.

He was obviously a very troubled man and I in no way will condone what he may have done later in life if it was true, but I must feel sorry for him because I really feel he was a very lonely man who probably couldn't trust anyone.

And I can only hope that his children will be ok and that the people responsible for taking care of them and this mess will keep their best interest in mind.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Well said Willie!

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very sad news indeed and such a rock icon. May he rest in peace.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

What a shock! My mind keeps going back to the really early days with the Jackson Five - he was a standout even then. His voice at such a young age was incredible. How sad. Farrah Fawcett too. Two icons in one day.

Out on the Border

When I was told that Michael Jackson died, it was the same sensation I had when John Lennon died. First disbelief, then sadness for their passing too early, and thinking of what had been, and what could have been.

Stuck on the Border

I've had his music in my head now for two days. I've got Thriller but I never bought Off The Wall and now feel I should. Well, I've left it late, haven't I? The syndrome of buying the music of an artist who has just died never affected me until now.

I think some of the claims of 'genius' which are being tossed around are off the mark. Jackson was never a particularly strong singer and the sound of his records was basically orchestrated by Quincy Jones. I am not sure of how much of his songwriting was really his own work. But he was hugely influential, there's no doubt of that.

To me the last few years of his life were a tragic waste for many reasons and I only hope he is at peace now.

Besides musically, he was especially influential in the making of music videos. When Thriller came out in 1982, videos were in their infancy and most artists weren't spending too much time on them. After the video for the song "Thriller," which was practically a mini-movie and which was an immensely popular hit, you saw a whole new level of time and money spent on videos, a whole new level of sophistication in them.

It changed how record companies looked at videos. They weren't just something to spit out, they were something that could contribute significantly to the song's success if done right - just as the Thriller video became inseparable from the song and aided its success. They started giving a great deal more attention to the videos of the artists they were attempting to promote. It generated a lot of entertainment for the MTV Generation, that's for sure - although I'm sure some musicians probably understandably resented being forced to "act" even for a three-minute video, and resented having to attempt to make themselves look as good as they sounded.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Watching a tribute on the SMH site I came across this. I wonder if you know anything about this, Soda? (NB this is only for a limited time).

And he was a good looking man when he was younger. It was such a shame he felt he had to resort to all the whitening of his skin.

I thought he had some sort of disease that Turned his skin white, but I agree he was cute when he was young.