Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Belfast, Ireland 6-30-09

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Belfast, Ireland 6-30-09

I can't find anything on this show yet. No newpaper reviews, no youtube...

So Lisa, this thread is just waiting for you to fill in the blanks and give us the goods. (foot tapping)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Belfast, Ireland 6-30-09

I'll be on as soon as I can with loads to tell (Though I'm still trying to meet the Elusive Glenn ) and even one or 2 surprises. We had a great night but I'm under severe work pressure at the moment.

On the way.......PROMISE!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Default Re: Belfast, Ireland 6-30-09

Looking forward to hearing about it.

Default 100th LROOE Performance Belfast Northern Ireland, 30 June 2009

Hey everybody, I'm home and on here at last and ready to tell at least part of our story from last night. I may not get it all done today but if not I wilI.

Ok so without further ado......

Laura and I left Dublin about 1215 pm on yesterday heading North. As we left IDWHAM came on the radio which we took as a good omen. We then changed to the VBO CD. Very appropriate on the M1 as we were certainly in the fast lane for LITFL and TIE at least. We were at our hotel in Belfast less than 2 hours later and spent a short while getting glammed up before heading to the Odyssey (way too early of course). The Sat Nav let me down on that as it didn't recognise the venue and there were no signposts so we had an 'interesting' tour of Belfast before a kindly 'Royal Mail' van driver put us on the right track. We got there in more than enough time. But we missed the 'main' car park and ended up in the one at the 'Press' entrance. Having looked for our door to enter the building we went up to a security man to put us on the right track. As we were talking to him I happened to look into the yard he was 'guarding' and saw a row of about 10 gleaming black Mercedes cars. I pointed them out to Laura and commented 'I think I know who these cars belong to' The guard laughed as we looked on in awe and commented 'They all travel in Separate cars' D'oh! Tell me something I didn't know. Of course we smiled sweetly and looked pretty but it didn't wash. Still the glimpse of the cars was thrill enough.
    We located the RIGHT car park and as we were about an hour early for our rendevous with our ILAA host we decided to eat. On the way in I noticed that only 'Professional' cameras and recording equipment was prohibited which meant I could use my camera I let Laura choose the restaurant and she chose 'Joes Diner' as Joe is an Eagle. It was a good choice and we were lucky as we got in just before the place started to get really crowded. It was very hot out (about 24deg - thats hot here) and the queue for the unreserved standing space was already starting to get quite long! Eagles music was playing in the foyer of the arena, just to get us in the mood as if we weren't already. We strolled around savouring the atmosphere until 5:45 when we were to meet our ILAA hostess Helen. I took the opportunity to 'chat' to Lou and Danielle also joined in wishing us all the best and that we'd have a great night.
    Helen was lovely, extremely welcoming and hospitable and had no problem telling the Odyssey staff who tried to eject us (as the doors hadn't opened yet) that we were her VIP guests and were fine. Soon Steph and her friend Phyll (sp?) joined us and it turned out we were the only 5* booking which is why the had to cancel the pre show. After Laura and I bought programmes, mugs and t-shirts Helen lead us to our reserved section of the bar which consisted of 2 tall round tables cordoned off by an ILAA banner. Now here's where Helen was really worth her weight in gold, because the security guy wouldn't let Laura into the bar as she was under 18. Helen firmly pointed out that she was with our group and she had cleared it with management. But every time he saw poor Laura she got a 'dirty' look from him. Then she had the nerve to ask had they chairs!!!!!! 'You should be well able to stand at your age' was his comment. Still it didn't dampen our enthusiasm. Helen returned to us with a little gem SHE HAD 2 SETS OF 3 OF JOES GUITAR STRINGS. Yes Rhonda! I have 3 of JOE's Guitar strings. We chatted with Steph and Phyll and soon we got to our seats 3rd row, side tier on Joes side. It was an excellent view, though a bit further away from Glenn than last year and also not a great angle to photograph the stage from. This was our view

It looks further than it was but there was standing room as well. Anyway just at 730 pm the lights went down, and everyone took their seats. My heart was absolutely THUMPING in my chest as suddenly the place flooded with light and they went straight into 'How Long'. Of course they were all wearing their suits, but they looked great.
    I realised that the lighting and the angle would not provide great pics after taking this one, but the screen just above me was perfect and I used that for some of the pics.

Anyway after 'How Long' Glenn finally started to talk and my heart decided to flutter while he did. 'Good evening Belfast' he announced going on to welcome us to the Eagles Belfast concert, that they were delighted to be back in the 'Emerald isle' that they are 'the band that never died' and most importantly IMHO that this was the 100th gig in the LROOE tour, to which he got a rousing cheer.
    Predictably he want on to introduce the LROOE album and said that Timothy and Joe would sing the next songs.
    Timmy and Joe sang IDWHAM and GOTC and the gig went on on the same set list that they have been using recently. As HC started and Don started singing I was thinking that Don's voice sounded great adn that it was a pity Lou coudn't hear it.......
    .......and I had a one of those rare moments.......she can. I took out my phone and dialled her number!
    So she listened to the next few songs, and I think it worked quite well.
    Glenn then introduced PEF as being off their first album from 1972 in london, and then just before the third verse called out 'How many people in Northern Ireland like Country Rock' which went down to a cheer and a big show of hands. Then they went into ICTYW by Timmy of course and WW.
    Of course Glenn was in his element with a new audience for his jokes and he enthusiastically told the Dan Tana's story before Lyin' Eyes. I loved the way he said they did 'everything' quickly back then. As well as the dedication to 'Plaintiff'. I actually think there were quite a few people there that haven't heard it before. Anyway Glenn asked us to sing along......which we duly did!
    Don then did his usual rousing version of BOS, followed by Joes doing ITCwith all those fabulous images in the background. Finally for the first part of the show Don took the mic and said that they needed to take a break after 'this next one' and they would come back and sing for a very long time afterwards. He was in excallent voice for TLR!

So that was the first part. I'm going to post a few pics and get the second part reviewed tomorrow some time hopefully.

Of course I have the Dublin gig tomorrow which will be different for a few reasons.....
    Its outdoor
    They'll have a different set list
    Hopefully they'll have jeans on

Remember Christchurch........... You should see tomorrow's forecast......
    Last edited by Glennsallnighter; 07-01-2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Default Re: 100th LROOE Performance Belfast Northern Ireland, 30 June 2009

Some pics from the first half......

Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Oh Lisa, it sounds like you had a wonderful time and that pic of you and Laura is just lovely

Wow GA, did you realize beforehand that this was their 100th performance?

Great review so far - thanks for the pix and have a great time at your outdoor show!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Lovin' the review so far! Thank you! I can't wait to hear more. I hope you have a fabulous time tomorrow... or today, by the time you read this.

Enjoy!

Nice review...wish I was there! I didn't realize the set list will be different in Dublin?! I do hope you get the jeans; and I hope the weather is tolerable!
    Great shot of you and your daughter having fun...how old is Laura? Lucky girl to be enjoying her first concert so young!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review of the first half of the show as well as the pictures. You must be exhausted!

Glad you enjoyed it (as if you could not enjoy the guys ). I hope tomorrow you see a "Christchurch" caliber performance without the "Christchurch" weather. Oh yes, with a "Christchurch" type wardrobe .