Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Belfast, Ireland 6-30-09

Default Re: Belfast, Ireland 6-30-09

Ooh, how cool about Glenn giving your "other half" that pick! What a great momento of a great show!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Remy, thanks for sharing those pictures. All I can say is OMG! ;wish I could have been that lucky. I know how it feels to receive guitar picks; I have one from Alan Jackson and the Statler Brothers. But to have one from an Eagles show you must be in heaven.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: 100th LROOE Performance Belfast Northern Ireland, 30 June 2009

So to continue with our Belfast adventure......

Oh and I actually realised on closer inspection, it was a FULL set of Joes strings that I was given..... Thank You Joe!!

Anyway after a pleasant interval chatting to Steph and the people in front of us we resumed seats for the second 'half'. As usual it started with vthe guys sitting and singing their run of ballads. We were treated to NMWITW first, followed immediately by WITW, a fabulous live rendition. The imagery projected behind the stage was superb.

After these two songs Glenn made reference to the two songs and commented that WITW was an excellent collaboration between Don and Steuart. He then went on to introduce 'Track 8 which follows Track 7 on LROOE' He said that he wrote it himself a few years ago and had been inspired by David Gray's Babylon. They then went into NMCD with Glenns voice sounding absolutely DIVINE

After NMCD it was Timothys turn to take the stage and he spoke about having spent the last week in Derry visiting his wife's family. He also mentioned that he has now got Irish citizenship which of course soawned a large cheer for everyone, after thich he sang 'from HFO' LWKUA. Glenn thanked him and as usual introduced TITTL as what his wife terms 'The Credit card Song' which he said would finish off the seated section. TITTL was of course fantastic, and just as he sang 'Take.....' the lights would turn right up emphasising the beat of the song.

Then came LROOE with Don up the front taking on the vocals of course. Once again spectacular with a very interesting and thought provoking background. I never feel the 10 minutes of this song. It just grips me.

After that my heart was thumping.....would they.....wouldn't they....???

YES SOMEBODY

Glenn both looked and sounded just FANTASTIC on the vocals of this one, helped by the fact that he had just removed his jacket - lean, mean, powerful and VERY VERY Sexy as he sang and growled out this song. For me one of the highights of the show.

While the 'rocking' theme was clearly on the cards 'Walk Away' followed 'Somebody' lifting the crowd further as it did. By now the guy beside me was getting a little worried. 'When will they do TIE?' 'Second Last' Laura assured him!

Then a beautiful but eerie full moon came up on the backdrop and Don started singing an old crowd favourite..... OOTN.

After that Glenn in his own unique way introduced each member of the back up band, saying lovely complimentary things about all of them. Of course as Steph was in our section Will Hollis got a little extra attention! When Glenn got onto the Eagles themselves he first introduced the 'Bassist who's been with the band since 1976 - the ribbon on the package..... he sings it high he plays it low.... Timothy B Schmit....' Timmy came out to the foreground to a rousing reception, thanked everyone and proceeded to do the same for Glenn calling him among other things 'The man of 1000 jokes' 'Our Fearless leader' 'The man from Motor City --- Detroit..... Mr GLENN FREY

Of course the roar was deafening and I'm sure at least one person was wondering who the screaming virago up in the tiers was..... :embarrassed:
    Glenn the too over again announcing his 'Friend since 1971....the pride of Linden Texas...... Mr DON HENLEY

And finally Glenn went on to introduce 'last but not lost, a man who needs NO introduction at all, known to Law enforcement and hotel Staff around the world, of personal interest to the FBI, the CIA, MI6, the SPCA, one of the finest guitar players of this and any generation from the garden state New Jersey..... Mr Joe Walsh.
    Joe immediately began to throw some papers around, then introduced LBG and went straight into it.
    Don then sang 'Dirty Laundry' with its usual background newspaper cuttings, which roused the crowd no end. I think some of them had been designed to suit 'British Isles' concerts.
    After it finished Glenn and Joe started to do a bit of skitting around on their guitars trying to outdo each other. You can guess who came out best...... Joe went into Funk #49.

At this point I had a little Deja Vue from London last year, as my camera battery went nearly at the same point in both gigs. Unlike London last year however I had a charged spare in my bag and minutes, and was back in business in no time. Just on time to ROCK 'HT'. Another superb performance from Glenn before, sadly the last song of the 'Normal' set LITFL. And with the imagery behind, it really DID feel like we were driving in the fast lane. To rapturous applause and screaming they left the stage for a few minutes. Of course nobody went anywhere. Those seasoned among us knew TIE was still on the menu, and those who weren't just weren't ready to go home yet.
    They reemerged and Glenn spoke first. 'Thank you VERY VERY much' You could see the sheer gratitude in his voice for the reception that they got that evening. He really looked so appreciative. Its hard to describe, and it wasn't just because he can do no wrong in my eyes anyway, but I have never seen a lead singer as grateful as he seemed to the fans. TIE of course was like a celebration as everyone stood up, danced and joined in. Afterwards they left again, making Desperado effectively a second encore. OK I couldn't resist it. I called Lou up again. Apparently she put her phone on speaker and her mum listened with her as Don stylishly put the gig to bed, backed up of couse by the others.
    Finally they all joined together to give a final bow.... but they didn't leave the stage immediately, walking round waving and thanking people. I saw Glenn give a few picks to the steward and was so envious of the person who got them, but now I'm delighted to see it was a real fan and another 'Borderer'.
    We said 'goodbye' to Stephanie and Phyll and the guy in front who we had been talking to as one of the stewards was beckoning me over. I genuinely thought he was trying to clear the place quickly and kinda nodded 'Well go now.' 'No!' he said, 'Come here....' and when i did he handed me 2 of Steuarts picks saying that Steuart had wanted us to have them......?!
    WOW!!!!!! Well we left with grins the size of cheshire cats (I call them 'Cindy Like' grins) on our faces, Laura was tired, I was high.....

It was a wonderful night and we got back to the hotel delighted with the way things had gone.
    The following morning we did a bit of shopping in Belfast, then headed down the fast lane home......

.....with the promise of another similar concert in little more than 24 hours.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

And some pictures from the second half......

The 'Ballad Section'

A slightly different angle.....

Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Welcome, Remy. You took some great photos (particularly of Glenn).

Stuck on the Border

Wow, GA. Thanks for that. I am so glad 'our fearless leader' was in good form.

This was meant to be one of Don but the screen changed

Me....... Biased.........never........
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Just to prove my last comment

And this one's for Laura

Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Biased? Yeah..... keep it up!!!

A few backdrops from the stage. The first three are from LROOE

Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP