Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Inquiries for Longtime Concertgoers...

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Inquiries for Longtime Concertgoers...

One of my fave things about the Eagles is to see how they performed back in their zenith. It doesn't help that I was born 15 years after their initial split, and concert footage from the 70s is very difficult to come by, so here's a couple of questions I hope anyone can help me with :

- Except for Joe Vitale during the Long Run tour, did the guys ever have any other backing musicians during their first stint together?

- Glenn was a lot more divided between guitar and piano back then, but did Joe or Don F. ever put down their guitars to do any or was it just Glenn? (I know Joe used to do NKIT on electric piano.)

- On a slightly similar note, Don H. now spends a lot of his time down front instead of behind the drums - was BOML the only song he did this for back at their peak? (I know he now struggles with drumming slightly.)

Thanks as always guys

Well, I have a poor memory, but...

- They had several musicians helping them out on The Long Run tour, not just Joe Vitale. In addition to special guests like JD Souther, these guys are also listed on Eagles Live (1980):
    Phil Kenzie -- saxophone
    Vince Melamed -- electric piano
    Jage Jackson -- rhythm guitar, percussion
    However, when I see bootlegs and photos from other tours before TLR, I don't see anyone else on stage. If there were extra guys, they were well hidden, and were never introduced.

- I don't think Felder ever put down his guitar, unless it was to sit at a steel guitar. I'm not sure about Joe. I know in the studio video of ICTYW, he's playing a keyboard, and he's credited as playing keyboard on the Hotel California album. However, I've never seen a photo of him doing that live with the Eagles back in the day, so it's hard to say.

- Don Henley came down for other songs, too, at least in earlier days. You see him coming down front in the 1973 bootlegs for an acoustic set where the guys all sat on stools. It included songs like "Saturday Night" and "Tequila Sunrise." See photo.

Hope this helps! Anyone else please feel free to add to the above.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Re: Don playing the drums in the 70's, I think they decided to bring Joe Vitale in for backup during The Long Run tour because of the back problems Don developed during the Hotel California tour.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Don says even now his back hurts him, I feel so bad for him. I understand why he needs someone helping out.
    ~Sara

Border Desperado

I saw them early on in the LONG Run tour in 79 and Don was mainly playing the drums. I remember this well because when he did come up front to do a couple of songs my friend and I were surprised that they kept such a hot guy behind the drums! (of course we called him gorgeous back then!)
    That's not to say that Glenn was not an impressive sight as well!

Although its been many years, I don't really remember Glenn introducing anyone other than the group who were the Eagles at the time.

Like I said though, I saw one of the first shows on the Long Run Tour so its possible that they added some folks as the tour progressed.