Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glasgow, 4th July 2009

Default Re: Glasgow, 4th July 2009

ok well as for newpaper people, i would notlisten to them. most of them talk rubbish and well this one did. if he can not see that the band and the crowd were having a great time, then he must of been drunk.
    they really need to send someone who knows about muysic cause this guy didnt.

it was a brilliant show band great as usual as was the crowd. these newspapers should be banned from concerts. that newspaper that was printed in well what can i say, i dont read it cause most of the stuff in it is rubbish.
    the concert was great as was band and crowd all had a great time. read the fan reviwes not the stupid newspapers. fans reviews show the real thing. great concert cant wait to see them back again in scotland

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlass View Post
    if he can not see that the band and the crowd were having a great time, then he must of been drunk.
    Nah, that cannae be it. I was half-cut and I enjoyed it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, troub and Carla, thanks to both of you for that update. In spite of what these lame reviewers say, it's great to hear that the fans love and enjoyed the show. After all, that's all that really counts, isn't it! Outlaw, we appreciate your wonderful review and pictures, too. That was a very entertaining writeup.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Outlaw---A fantastic review and I do believe you and scottishlass are going to fit in real nicely around here.
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 07-06-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

ok well if it wasnt drink must of been drugs, or maybe he was hard of sight. either way the guy is an idiot and needs to be fired from his job.
    im sure other 40 odd thousand disagreed with him. you cant please everyone end of day main, thing is that fans and group enjoyed themself, who cares what some reporter rights.

eagles like there scottish fans and enjoy playing scotland, on there tours as tim and don have both said. and scotland loves them, reporters well there idiots.

would like to know who that was, flashing there boobs, she was in the 4th row at the end on the middle row. ok own up who was flashing come on tell me who it was. you were half cut was it you lol think it was around time joe had his cam hat on.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    Here a short review:

Eagles, Hampden Park, Glasgow

another review:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...ow-review.html

The Eagles at Hampden Park, Glasgow, review
    Joe Walsh was the star of the show at a grimly professional appearance by The Eagles in Glasgow.

If the Eagles displayed wry self-knowledge and gentle humour when they named a 1990s reunion tour Hell Freezes Over in honour of the savage enmity that tore the band apart, they showed little of it when they opened this show.
    The warm night air seemed to cool as it reached the stage, and the tone was grimly professional. The Eagles assembled for this tour – Glenn Frey, Don Henley and mid-Seventies joiners Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmidt – seemed to change guitar between every song just so that they didn’t have to look at or talk to each other. “We’re the band that wouldn’t die,” joked Frey. “We’re from when the Dead Sea was just sick.”
    Though the audience chuckled, the men on stage fiddled glumly with leads and instruments, while Henley tapped out a niggling cabaret boom-boom-tish on his drums to mark the punchlines.
    Song after song from 2007’s anodyne Long Road Out of Eden trundled on by: safe, staid and lifeless. Though a cosmetically perfect Hotel California gave the crowd a visceral nostalgic thrill, its appearance in the first half hour of the set gave it the air of a chore to be dispensed with quickly.
    That talismanic song, though, marked an important moment in the gig: it was when Joe Walsh woke up.
    The guitarist had made his name with the James Gang before joining the Eagles, and, with Hotel California’s highly structured solos, he began to come of life.
    When Walsh took his slide guitar to In the City, he soloed with energy and poise, locking into a hypnotically simple syncopated bass line, while giving the brass section the room to riff. Soon a groove had developed and suddenly where there had been only finely tuned sound, there was music.
    Two songs later he tore up the stage to Life’s Been Good, injecting vitality and unhinged good humour into its nostalgic reggae satire. He was soon revelling in the reckless boogie-woogie of the James Gang’s Funk #49, trading blues licks with Frey and pulling fun and funk out of a suddenly vitalised set of musicians. Tellingly, all three songs were Walsh tracks later co-opted by the Eagles.
    If Walsh was the life, soul and rock and roll of the party, he faced an uphill battle to get the rest of the band on his side. Frey was charming but quick to switch off and drift into the background. Schmidt’s bass was inaudible, and Henley seemed humourlessly detached.
    The big set pieces – Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane, Take It Easy – were technically flawless but lacked the fire that Walsh can still bring to his tunes 35 years on. In bringing his own music so savagely to life, he only underlined what the Eagles were no longer able to do with theirs.

This type of review is just Media Critics licking their wounds after Don abuses them with 'Dirty Laundry'.

The Eagles are perfectionists, masters and experts in their field.....they are undoubtedly the best live act in the world.....that good in fact that the critics call their performance 'too polished'....you can't win can you?

They are still filling stadiums all over the world and LROOE went seven times platinum in the USA alone....Triple Platinum in Australia and NZ....Double Platinum in Britain, Denmark, Norway and Thailand..........so they must be doing something right.

Like I say.....'Dirty Laundry'

Remy

yeap some reviewers just cant help themself. don gets them with dirty laundry and im guessing the telegraph reporter was one not a fan and 2 proberly sulked over the DL song lol.

no one listens to reporters and well who actually reads t he telegraph, maybe he was on a deadline cause he was such a crap reporter, so he made something up, beore he was sacked.

he was the only person in the staduim who thought this, reporters should be banned.

Sadly it seems that the Eagles are not the only ones to suffer from this form of biased journalism. One example that springs to mind is a review I came across of Tom Waits' Edinburgh show last year that was not only unfair in its criticism but told some outright lies. Myself (and everybody else that was there) would surely describe this show as the gig of a lifetime so one can't help but wonder if the reviewer was huffing glue before the show.

It was only once you reached the last paragraph the reviewer mentioned that Tom rarely does interviews and that particular paper had a request to speak to him turnned down a few months previously. Go figure...

Unfortunately I can't remember which paper it was but it made for some interesting reading. I'll post the link here if I can find it.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Troub, thanks so much for passing along Stars' thoughts on the show! I'm glad she was able to talk with you about it. Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Outlaw, welcome to The Border and thanks for your review and pics! Sounds like the Boys were in top form and you had a great evening, except for the cell phone incident!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Hey all!

New to the boards here..and the eagles! after watching the farwell tour 1 dvd i was sold! i had to be at the Glasgow gig! And what a gig it was! Absolutely fantastic! Thanks fror the review and the set list! And FYI reporter from the telegraph, I was at the very back...way up in the nose bleed section and i could hear Timmys Bass just fine! :P
    The guy must have taken Dirty Laundry to heart!

Was such a great night!

ps seeing as how i'm new to eagles music...what actually happened with henley and the American flag?

thanks!

ali