Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

Default Re: SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

NOMINATIONS CLOSED

I will start a new topic with the list alphabetized.

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I've had a very busy week so I didn't get a chance to weigh in on this before now. However, as I was replying to this in the 'Round 1' thread, I noticed some glaring omissions that I would have offered up for consideration. Oh well, too late now, but I could have easily made the initial list into 100 nominations. Here's a few that came to my mind ...

Bob Seger
    Buffalo Springfield
    Green Day
    Guns 'n Roses
    James Brown
    Jefferson Airplane
    Linkin' Park
    Lovin' Spoonful
    The Mamas and the Papas
    No Doubt/Gwen Stefani
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    R.E.M.
    Santana
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Steely Dan
    Tom Petty

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Oh yeah, Dreamer, I agree that we missed more than a few really good ones. Oh well. I also thought of Genesis, Billy Joel, Loggins and Messina, and the Police (which I think FP mentioned just in a passing reference.)
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

shania is one od modern countrys greatests, some of her stuff is good, some not so good but over all shes a good singer.

elton john is good to. cher is very over rated, when she said she was retirig she should of stayed retired. never liked her ever lol.

celine dion also very over rated, u seen her shows omg, i would of asked for my money back.

supremes with diana ross were brilliant.

IALBAD,

Have to agree with you! Particularly Buffalo Springfield, Santana and Tom Petty should at least have gotten consideration. Santana was a prodigy. Very inovative in bring Latin influence to Rock...AND great to just listen to as well. And there were a few pretty good (understatement) individuals who came out of BS. Tom Petty...popular "back then" and popular NOW. One of the legends.

And, James Brown. WOW! What an omission THAT was! I was Blues back when Psycodelia and Soul were popular (didn't get on the Rock Waggon for several more years and still find myself falling "back" to the Blues) and James Brown really didn't "do it" for me but there is no doubt he was both "Popular" and "Influential".

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Oh for the love of God----How in the H*ll was James Brown overlooked by EVERYONE but Dreamer? That's really embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

James Brown occurred to me later on. But if you include too many artists from the same genre it gets a bit top heavy. To me we have recognised the talents of Stills & Young with both Neil solo & CSNY, and I think the Byrds were more innovative than Springfield. I think the inclusion of Jefferson Airplane wouldn't have been amiss though.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... CHICAGO! Weren't they one of the first rock bands to feature a horn section? (I always liked Chicago.)
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Shoulda, woulda, coulda... CHICAGO! Weren't they one of the first rock bands to feature a horn section? (I always liked Chicago.)
    Wikipedia quote on the Beatles:

Along with studio tricks such as sound effects, unconventional microphone placements, tape loops, double tracking and vari-speed recording, The Beatles began to augment their recordings with instruments that were unconventional for rock music at the time. These included string and brass ensembles as well as Indian instruments such as the sitar in "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" and the swarmandel in "Strawberry Fields Forever".[105] They also used early electronic instruments such as the Mellotron, with which McCartney supplied the flute voices on the intro to "Strawberry Fields Forever",[106] and the clavioline, an electronic keyboard that created the unusual oboe-like sound on "Baby You're a Rich Man".[107]

When it comes to innovation, I seriously doubt that there could possibly be ANYONE who did much of anything "new" before the Beatles <LOL> That's why I eliminated them from consideration in this little set-too here.

MikeA

Of course, Mike,and I realize that. But the Beatles were so innovative that you never knew what their music would sound like! (Don't get me wrong - that was a good thing!) It's not that they were known for their horns. But Chicago had that sound on everything they did. So although I understand that they weren't the first, the horns became (and still are) their thing.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.