Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do your "favorite" Eagles songs change.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default How often do your "favorite" Eagles songs change.

Sorry if been discussed before but been thinking about this today as I put the ipod on Eagles and have just let it play for hours and hours and hours.

I get in the habit of listening to my favorite Eagles songs over and over or I get into a bit of a rut listening to certain Eagles albums more than others etc. Today I decided to just put Eagles on the ipod and let it go and NOT skip any as they come up. As I am listening, there are several songs that have come up that I just don't listen to that much that I am realizing that I've missed or appreciate more than I did 30+ years ago or even 1 year ago. Does that make sense? Of course the last couple of years it's always LROOE and it has always been Long Run as far as albums go. And when the anniverseries of the albums come up and we celebrate them on the board, I will go back and listen just to refresh myself, but to actually LISTEN, it's bringing forward some good stuff that I have forgotten about.

My favorite Eagles songs have always been and always will be Take It To The Limit and Best Of My Love with I Can't Tell You Why right behind them, and with the release of LROOE, Waiting In The Weeds and How Long also ranking right up there at the top. But I get in the rut with the "hits" I think... PEF, AG, HC, LE, OOTN, LITFL, NKIT... you know.

Here's the list of some of the ones that I have heard today and have pledged to listen to more often once again...

Ol 55 (confess--hated this song when I first heard it decades ago)
    I Wish You Peace
    Outlaw Man
    Take The Devil
    Pretty Maids All In A Row (I have always loved this-why don't I listen to it more?)
    Midnight Flyer
    On The Border (again, I always like this-but don't listen that much)

And that's not even touching on any of the solo stuff that I know I also get into a rut with. I have a lot of work to do, I now vow I will bring out EVERYTHING again and give it all a good listen, and who knows, maybe I will rediscover some old forgotten tunes or find some new favorites.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: How often do your "favorite" Eagles songs change.

"The Last Resort" has ALWAYS been my favourite, although "Waiting In The Weeds" has recently come close to the top spot - but it'll take a lot to take TLR off the #1 position ...
    Close contenders ... "My Man" "Life In The Fast Lane" "Lyin' Eyes" "Centre Of The Universe" "Saturday Night" "Hotel California" ...
    www.bread.moonfruit.com
    A SWEET SURRENDER : BREAD (with David Gates, James Griffin & Co.)

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    My favorite Eagles songs have always been and always will be Take It To The Limit and Best Of My Love with I Can't Tell You Why right behind them, and with the release of LROOE, Waiting In The Weeds and How Long also ranking right up there at the top. But I get in the rut with the "hits" I think... PEF, AG, HC, LE, OOTN, LITFL, NKIT... you know.
    Well Willie, they don't call them hits for nothin'! I don't even like to 'admit' to a favorite, but if a gun was put to my head it would probably be PEF (because it gives me a pef!), followed closely by TIE.

I'm sure the favororite song for most of us is one of the hits, but I understand what you're saying. Thank goodness for the Border because with threads like Eagles LP and OOTN we are reminded through others to give the deep tracks a good listen again!
    Last edited by Prettymaid; 07-07-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I know I've metioned this before, but Lyin' Eyes has been in my top favorite songs of all time for decades! However, now that I own the Eagles catalog, I do not ever listen to it. Strange, eh?

I perfer to listen to album tracks and no so much of the hits that I've heard over and over and over for years and years.

Currently in the car, I pop in Eagles, skip TIE- which I LOVE and WW and go straight to Chug All Night, Most of Us Are Sad, Nightingale (rewind and play at least 3 times in row), Train Leave Here This Morning, Take the Devil and then switch the CD to OTB and listen to My Man approx 7 times in a row. This has been what I've been doing for weeks now. I can say, I don't have a favorite song... just several I LOVE.

Some I listen to more than others and that changes, but currently I am into Nightingale and My Man.

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Ooooh, interesting inquiry!

I segue through phases where I listen to one or two tracks repeatedly to the point that I can recite every nuance (hellooooo “How Long”!), but my hardcore favorites (the ones that prompt a full-body jolt of attention) remain the same golden triad: “Take It Easy,” “Saturday Night” and “Take it to the Limit” (though “New Kid in Town” barely misses the money).

Potentially off-topic: interesting how we all pluck meaning/personal connections to/from radically different tracks. I’m uncertain why and do not wish to incite a riot, but for some reason I never really connected to “Desperado.” It’s unquestionably genius, but I never really identified with it. I will tote songs like “New Kid in Town” or “Take it Easy” around in my pocket as though they comprise a little piece of me I fervently wish to retain, but as a loner fundamentally veer from “Desperado.” That said, it is my Dad’s favorite song of all time, so I will defend it to the end, and the Underwood massacre of ’07 was inexcusable...

Some of my all time favorite song are PEF, How Long, OOTN and AG,

At the moment I hear very often the albums LROOE, On the Border and their deput album Eagles!
    In addition I hear often TITTL, Lyin Eyes, Doolin Dalton, Life In The Fast Lane, The Sad Cafe and The Last Resort.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border

What a great topic!

I have a Top 20 which remains the same pretty much although sometimes the order can change around. At the moment my approximate top 20 is:

1. Hotel California
    2. New Kid In Town
    3. Heartache Tonight
    4. Long Road Out Of Eden
    5. Lyin' Eyes
    6. Take It Easy
    7. Life In The Fast Lane
    8. King Of Hollywood
    9. Doolin-Dalton
    10. What Do I Do With My Heart
    11. Tequila Sunrise
    12. Good Day In Hell
    13. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (despite the negativity about this song in some quarters I like it more & more)
    14. Witchy Woman
    15. One Of These Nights
    16. Waiting In The Weeds
    17. The Last Resort
    18. Already Gone
    19. Outlaw Man
    20. Out Of Control

I have several 'dark horses' which I would say are Pretty Maids In A Row (horribly underrated), Chug All Night, Try And Love Again, The Sad Cafe, You Are Not Alone, It's Your World Now, On The Border, Take The Devil (a song which did nothing for me for years but does now).

There are a couple of obvious omissions here. I went on instinct.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post

Potentially off-topic: interesting how we all pluck meaning/personal connections to/from radically different tracks. I’m uncertain why and do not wish to incite a riot, but for some reason I never really connected to “Desperado.” It’s unquestionably genius, but I never really identified with it. I will tote songs like “New Kid in Town” or “Take it Easy” around in my pocket as though they comprise a little piece of me I fervently wish to retain, but as a loner fundamentally veer from “Desperado.” That said, it is my Dad’s favorite song of all time, so I will defend it to the end, and the Underwood massacre of ’07 was inexcusable...
    WOW--I have said it here before--Desperado really doesn't do much for me either, and it makes me even sadder anymore because when I hear it, I always think of the end of an Eagles concert. Glad to hear someone else say it also. And as far as the Underwood massacre.... I have said that several times about Rascal Flatts and what they have done to Eagles tunes!

And I love how you said "I will tote songs like “New Kid in Town” or “Take it Easy” around in my pocket as though they comprise a little piece of me I fervently wish to retain". What a great way to put it! I always have a couple of songs I feel that strongly about at any given time in my life. They don't always seem to be the same couple tho. Different times and events in my life usually dictate which songs they are.

I must also say that I am really surprised that I seem to be the only one that considers TITTL as their fave. I really figured there would be others that felt that way. I have to admit that the version I am speaking of is the original. Nothing against Glenn's version, but like I have stated before, I just love Randy's version better.

Very happy to see Chug All Night being mentioned a couple times also. I just think it's fun.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

I'm sure Soda won't mind me telling you that her favourite Eagles song is TITTL.

I feel the same way about TITTL as I do about Desperado. I have heard them both too often. Also I prefer Glenn's version of both songs so I don't think it's right to include either of them in a favourites list.

But If they are favorites, why not include them? JMHO. My list never changes.