Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
I think PEF was done acoustically during the HFO period, at least once as on the HFO bootleg.

I think they really started performing it like the record after Steuart Smith, a capable country guitarist joined the band. While Joe could cop the Take It Easy solo, to try to imitate Bernie's countriest moment IMO, and have to either learn to use a B Bender or imitate one, was something Joe couldn't do and either Felder couldn't or was unwilling to do. Steuart doesn't use a B Bender either, but he does imitate one wonderfully as seen on F1 DVD or any Eagles show since SS joined. Steuart was closer to Bernie in style than Joe or Felder. Steuart was more versatile than Bernie in the rock genre, however. Then again, I'd argue Smith is the most versatile the Eagles have had. It makes sense that he's a session musician with a range of artists he's played on. Felder would be 2nd most versatile. Where as I feel Bernie is mostly country style and Joe being mostly rock style.
Eddie, I have seen about a minute of them performing it at Greensboro, but that's it. I've also heard tapes of them doing it live in 1996.

Felder did use a B bender on PEF, but I think he said he didn't like using it in his book. Most of the bender licks on the Millennium concert are fairly basic iirc.

I agree that Steuart is likely the most versatile, but I'd also like to hear Don's Chet Atkins style, his bluegrass flatpicking, and the nylon string jazz playing that he apparently did in Boston. I've felt that he was always good at playing arpeggiated stuff with lots of open strings, so it would be cool to see more of that.