Page 113 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1742

Thread: Eagles videos on YouTube or other sites

Banned

Default Re: Eagles videos on YouTube or other sites

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort
    WatchMojo's Top 10 Eagles songs: note they base it on commercial success and fan's favourites so don't expect anything other than the singles and trite analysis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsVjufMLjM

I wonder what the guys think of their music being used in the film The Big Lebowski. It seems to have been incredibly good for the film, not so good for the band.

Thanks for the link thelastresort.

The song, The Last Resort seems to be losing stock. It didn't even make "honourable mentions". After they performed it during the MTV, HFO reunion concert, I think a lot of people considered it the major omission from the HFO tour set list.

Stuck on the Border

10. Lyin' Eyes
    9. Tequila Sunrise
    8. New Kid In Town
    7. Take It To The Limit
    6. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    5. One Of These Nights
    4. Life In The Fast Lane
    3. Desperado
    2. Take It Easy
    1. Hotel California

Entirely predictable list with only one of Glenn's leads in the top 5. If they flipped it around it would match my preferences rather more.

F50, there are quite a few songs I would place above The Last Resort in this type of list. The song just isn't that well known these days. I didn't expect them to do it during HFO. It's too slow. In any case this is the opinion of one person on one website so it's hardly representative of wider critical thought.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    In any case this is the opinion of one person on one website so it's hardly representative of wider critical thought.
    Far from it;
    "For this list, we've chosen our entries based on a combination of the artist's fan favourites and their most commercially successful songs" (excluding solo songs)

I dunno how global the research was. I'd love to know how popular the Eagles material is in the U.K. and Europe.

This run down reminds me that I was an Eagles fan for about 15 years before I saw any film of them performing anything, apart from the 1977 Hotel California clip (a couple of times, many years apart) and one of the The Long Run videos.

HFO and the Christchurch bootleg were my first extended views of the Eagles performing. Even attending a HFO concert, you couldn't see much until it got dark enough for the screens to be switched on.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 04-19-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Entirely predictable list with only one of Glenn's leads in the top 5.
    The other way to look at it is Glenn had 5 out of 10 leads.

The big omission from that list (not even an honourable mention) is Best of My Love. It was their first number one and was their breakthrough into superstar status. I'd have put Witchy Woman in the top ten, too.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm fairly okay with their list, but let's be real, it is nothing more than their opinion. It bugs me that sites like this develop these types of lists under the pretense that they did lots of research to lend some credibility to it. I doubt that there was much work put into that list at all - probably about the same amount that each of us put into making one. It's not very hard to figure out fan favorites or which tracks were the most commercially successful. Or maybe it is - because although I love Desperado and Tequila Sunrise, they weren't commercially successful, so using their criteria, I'd have to bump them. For me, the obvious omissions are the Grammy-winning Heartache Tonight, I Can't Tell You Why, and possibly Already Gone. Once again, Long Road Out of Eden is ignored - you could make a strong case for including How Long. The album was commercially successful by today's standards and How Long, which was the most popular single from the album also won a Grammy.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

The trouble with doing this kind of list for the Eagles IMO is that they have too many hits and therefore it is easy to make up a list containing nothing but the hit songs and thus. This list, which is made up entirely of songs from GH Volume 1 plus the three big hits from Hotel California. The only song which could maybe be argued to be a fan favourite is Desperado (which is a non-single) but has probably received a lot more airplay than a commercially unsuccessful single like James Dean. For me a fan favourite cannot be a single and therefore when I think of Eagles fan favourites the first songs that spring to mind are the likes of Doolin-Dalton, After The Thrill Is Gone, Victim Of Love and Waiting In The Weeds.

Not an awful lot to say about the list itself, all of those songs are great in my book, of the hits that weren't included I think that Already Gone is the biggest omission (ahead of Witchy Woman) and if I could make only one change to the list I'd take out Tequila Sunrise and put AG in its place. I have to say I don't think How Long would be out of place on this list at all, but I suspect too few people know the LROOE songs for it to be recognised in such an exercise.

Most bands only really have around half a dozen true 'hits' and therefore any top ten songs list, even very impersonal ones like the Mojo list, would probably include 3-5 well regarded deeper tracks. Also, pretty much all of the Eagles hit songs are good, most are better and some are among the best songs of the rock era! There are plenty of bands who have hits that are pretty weak - even with another great band like Fleetwood Mac I think the album tracks on Rumours are clearly better than most if not all of the singles from Tango In The Night.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    The trouble with doing this kind of list for the Eagles IMO is that they have too many hits
    Here in the UK the Eagles only had two hit singles. New Kid In Town and Hotel California. The others became hits because the Eagles declared them so by putting them on their Greatest Hits album.

I remember DJ Kenny Everett saying that when FM radio started, (before Their Greatest Hits 1972-1975) instead of playing all the chart stuff the AM stations played, they'd play album tracks like My Man by the Eagles.

I thought Hotel California was a only a hit single because, as well as Eagles fans buying it, Walsh fans were buying it for the b-side Pretty Maids All In A Row. That's why I bought it.

After Hotel California. the Eagles became an album band in the UK, while in their home country, it looks like anything they released would be a hit single.

With today's technology, I expect it's pretty easy to work out fan favourites. Every YouTube clip has a tally of how many times it's been viewed.

Stuck on the Border

My mother didn't buy Hotel California for Joe Walsh! I remember her dancing to Lyin' Eyes on the radio so it was more that the Eagles had become mainstream. For the record, all three singles taken from the One of These Nights album were UK top-30 hits which means they had six UK top-30 singles (it seems that Please Come Home for Christmas reached #30).
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 04-20-2015 at 06:28 AM.

Banned

Sorry UndertheWire. My memory is failing me. I was only counting Top 20.

I was really surprised to see Take It To The Limit reached number 12, so that would be their second biggest hit after Hotel California. No wonder Glenn was angry when Randy didn't want to sing it.

I just found out Hotel California was number 85 in the UK best selling singles of 1977. Just above The Sex Pistols.

It's a helluva list;

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1977.shtml

Stuck on the Border

From what I remember, the "Top 30" got Radio 1 airplay, which is why I think of top 30 as a hit. Also, I remember hearing One of These Nights and Lyin' Eyes played a lot on the radio which couldn't be said for the earlier releases (Best of My Love suffered from there being another song by the same name and with a similar hook being a hit the same year in the UK).

Edit: Thanks for that list. Funny to see that David Soul has three singles ranked #2, #5 and #31 and that The Emotions "Best of My Love" was ranked #45. Amazing to see ELP in there at #18.