Page 168 of 175 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1742

Thread: Eagles videos on YouTube or other sites

Out on the Border

Default Re: Eagles videos on YouTube or other sites

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think PEF was done acoustically during the HFO period, at least once as on the HFO bootleg.

I think they really started performing it like the record after Steuart Smith, a capable country guitarist joined the band. While Joe could cop the Take It Easy solo, to try to imitate Bernie's countriest moment IMO, and have to either learn to use a B Bender or imitate one, was something Joe couldn't do and either Felder couldn't or was unwilling to do. Steuart doesn't use a B Bender either, but he does imitate one wonderfully as seen on F1 DVD or any Eagles show since SS joined. Steuart was closer to Bernie in style than Joe or Felder. Steuart was more versatile than Bernie in the rock genre, however. Then again, I'd argue Smith is the most versatile the Eagles have had. It makes sense that he's a session musician with a range of artists he's played on. Felder would be 2nd most versatile. Where as I feel Bernie is mostly country style and Joe being mostly rock style.
    Eddie, I have seen about a minute of them performing it at Greensboro, but that's it. I've also heard tapes of them doing it live in 1996.

Felder did use a B bender on PEF, but I think he said he didn't like using it in his book. Most of the bender licks on the Millennium concert are fairly basic iirc.

I agree that Steuart is likely the most versatile, but I'd also like to hear Don's Chet Atkins style, his bluegrass flatpicking, and the nylon string jazz playing that he apparently did in Boston. I've felt that he was always good at playing arpeggiated stuff with lots of open strings, so it would be cool to see more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    Eddie, I have seen about a minute of them performing it at Greensboro, but that's it. I've also heard tapes of them doing it live in 1996.

Felder did use a B bender on PEF, but I think he said he didn't like using it in his book. Most of the bender licks on the Millennium concert are fairly basic iirc.

I agree that Steuart is likely the most versatile, but I'd also like to hear Don's Chet Atkins style, his bluegrass flatpicking, and the nylon string jazz playing that he apparently did in Boston. I've felt that he was always good at playing arpeggiated stuff with lots of open strings, so it would be cool to see more of that.
    I guess I wasn't aware of PEF being played electrically without Bernie or Steuart. I don't know that I knew about it being played on the Millenium show but now I see it was. I just figured they did it acoustically like they did at other shows right after HFO.

I also don't remember that about Felder's book and the bender but it's been many years since I've read it. He probably didn't like it because it would be unnatural for him. While he can clearly do the flamenco or the fingerpicking Chet Atkins thing, the "chicken picking" Telecaster style playing isn't in Felder's wheelhouse in the way it is for Steuart or Bernie. Felder used a Tele for Lyin' Eyes but even then it wasn't very country sounding to me anyway. I think Felder's version of country was more Chet Atkins/Duane Eddy Gretsch or archtop style older country music and not the twangy Telecaster sound that started with California country music of the 60s and the bender sound of Clarence White.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    So Joe actually did use a double neck live on "In the City."

It's funny that only one fan they found even knew the names of some of the Eagles, apparently. I wonder what the results of a similar poll at any given Eagles concert today would be.

The concert cost $13, which is $42 adjusted for inflation.

Edward, I remember that there were some collectors on YouTube who kept making fun of you for posting footage. Not sure exactly what the deal there was, but this stuff is pretty cool to see. I keep hoping that live '70s footage or taped audio of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" with the Hotel California or Long Run lineup will surface. Sometimes I wonder if the Eagles ever did that song from the time Bernie left until 1980 because it's the only song that I've never heard any audio evidence of live from that era.
    Joe used a double 6 string. He liked to use A tuning when playing slide. Double necks were common back then. It allowed two different tunings, bass and 6 string, and of course 12/6 string. Some were even teles instead of the usually strat. Today their is a guy making a double neck that is 6 string guitar and a 6 string electric banjo.

Out on the Border
    Chicago and West Palm Beach (Live in Both)

Hey guys. I just posted a video of the Eagles performing best of my love from 1979, although the camera is really just focused on Don Henley. Heres the link if anyone wants to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHwk7aA72zQ

-Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    Joe used a double 6 string. He liked to use A tuning when playing slide. Double necks were common back then. It allowed two different tunings, bass and 6 string, and of course 12/6 string. Some were even teles instead of the usually strat. Today their is a guy making a double neck that is 6 string guitar and a 6 string electric banjo.
    Correct - his name is Brian Nutter. He used to play with Keith Urban for many years until Danny Rader took over. He's the one doing the double neck 6 string guitar and "gango" (6 string banjo tuned like a guitar). A lot of Keith's music had Gango in it, so I think having to switch between that and a guitar is probably the impetus for him to build those.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Couldn't think of his name at the time. He does some really good work. Banjo's are coming back in country music.
    Could you imagine Joe playing one. Maybe even slide banjo.
    I actually have one. It's made by Dean and looks just like a strat with a big black circle in the middle almost like an Ernie Ball. Fun to play. A lot easier than a 5 string.

Out on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Videos on YouTube and other video sites

Here's a video of don and glenn in 1979 playing best of my love if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHwk7aA72zQ

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks Michael - Since this is an Eagles performance, I moved it to this forum.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks, MK, love that song. How great it would have been to be there!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Out on the Border

Yes definitely would've loved to have been at one of these long run shows. Such great energy always from them, they always did sound better live in my opinion... it's a shame nothing is really out there publicly from that tour.