Page 68 of 175 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles videos on YouTube or other sites

Default Re: Eagles videos on YouTube or other sites

WalshFan88, I do believe that Keith Richards plays lead guitar for the Stones & Ron Wood is the rhythm guitarist...
    Frey does take the first lead here, but looks like Joe & Don finish off the leads on this...But still great playing by all of them!!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    WalshFan88, I do believe that Keith Richards plays lead guitar for the Stones & Ron Wood is the rhythm guitarist...
    Frey does take the first lead here, but looks like Joe & Don finish off the leads on this...But still great playing by all of them!!
    Sorry, but Austin is correct. Keith plays rhythm guitar. He is one of the most distinctive rhythm guitarists of all, but rhythm it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_R...Guitar_playing

See the 'Guitar playing' section.

And yes, Glenn only plays the first solo in GOI, but Austin was just commenting that he did a good job.

I read what it says there, in Wikipedia, but it says "interwoven lead & rhythm guitar" Go watch the videos, especially recent ones. Richards is playing lead guitar...No Question in my mind there. He is doing solos all over the place on the 2006 concert, Shine a Light.
    Sorry, but I disagree with you both.

Oh & I also said Frey played great, as well. There was no intention to put down Glenn's playing on the GOI video. I was only commenting that solos were played by the others as well.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I guess this is why it's confusing. They feel that the separation of lead and rhythm guitar is 'unnatural'. Cut and paste from the Stones official website:

Keith Richards grew up fascinated by guitars and - when rock 'n' roll emerged as a new musical expression in his early teens - with the American Blues genre. A chance meeting with infant school associate Mick Jagger on the train station at Dartford revealed a shared interest in this music, which led to friendship and then to the formation of The Rolling Stones with Brian Jones and Ian Stewart.
    The rest is quite literally history. A lot of that history emanates from Keith Richards’ extraordinary ability to develop rhythm and harmony through his guitar, often in collaboration with another player – variously Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood.
    This technique of double play – which Keith refers to as ‘the ancient art of weaving’ – is based on the principle that the separation of lead and rhythm guitar play is unnatural. Those ‘roles’, commonly adopted in two guitar bands, divide and separate the harmony and structural chords from the melody lines between the two players.
    For Keith, this is absurd: 'You don’t go into a guitar shop and ask to buy a lead guitar or a rhythm guitar – it’s a guitar.’ It was this, as much as anything else, that led to a breakdown in communication between Keith and Mick Taylor in the mid-seventies: ‘If you want to fuck around with the top three strings, fine, but my guitar’s got six strings and they’re all there for a reason’.
    The arrival of Ronnie Wood in his wake, a guitarist more at home with playing song lines and harmonies with equal enthusiasm and facility, restored the weaving of The Rolling Stones sound.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thanks for posting that. I guess that explains the question of who plays "lead" & 'rhythm" as they seem to each play both. I guess it's not that confusing.

It just seems that lately Richards has been doing some more solos, which is why I didn't see him as the rhythm guitarist.
    Whatever works for them is what's important. They've only been around for 50 years, so they are doing something right!

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    ‘If you want to fuck around with the top three strings, fine, but my guitar’s got six strings and they’re all there for a reason’.
    Indeed.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

The reason Richards is always billed as the rhythm guitarist is because he wrote and played all of those classic riffs. Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction, etc. Those innovative rhythm parts in an Open G tuning are what make Keith so unique and innovative. Keith DOES play lead guitar, but he has always been the rhythm guitarist. Dating back to the first duo, Brian Jones always played the bulk of the leads, same with Mick Taylor (my personal fav lead for the Stones) and Ron Wood. They do play both, but Keith mainly plays all of the rhythms. All of those classic Stones intros are Keith and Keith alone. He did play lead famously on Sympathy For The Devil, but not on any of the other famous Stones tunes. Honky Tonk Women, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Brown Sugar, etc on the lead was all Mick Taylor. The leads in Start Me Up, Under My Thumb, Beast Of Burden, etc was all Ron Wood.

Keith does play some lead live, but he's always been the rhythm guitarist and always had that title. You can ask any guitar guru that and they will tell you he's probably the best if not one of the best rhythm players of all time. Truly a disciple of Chuck Berry. But to say he's the main lead player of the Stones is inaccurate. He does most of the rhythm, Ron does most of the lead, but they DO play both. But Keef is known for being a riffmaster. Every "Best Rhythm Guitarist" list has Keef at the top of the list if not number one.

Some quotes:

Lineup: Mick Jagger (lead vocals, harmonica, later some guitar); Brian Jones (lead guitar, anything he could get his hands on); Keith Richards (rhythm guitar, vocals, some bass); Charlie Watts (drums); Bill Wyman (bass). Jones died, replaced by Mick Taylor (lead guitar, some bass), 1969. Taylor quit, replaced by Ron Wood (lead guitar, vocals, some bass) of the Faces, 1975. Ian Stewart (piano) appears sporadically from the very beginning. In the Taylor period, Bobby Keys (sax), Jim Price (trumpet, trombone), Nicky Hopkins (piano), and Jimmy Miller (producer, some percussion, some drums) appear frequently.
    http://www.warr.org/stones.html

Best known for his highly-skilled rhythm guitar playing, musician Keith Richards has been a legendary supporting force in rock music.
    http://www.guitar-4u.com/guitarists/...-guitarist.php
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not a Stones expert, but I always thought Keith was considered the band's rhythm guitarist as well, even though he does play some leads at times. I don't know anything about the technical aspects of playing, but I agree if you ask around. most people that are familiar with the band would say he's the rhythm guitarist. That is probably because he plays the rhythm parts on the recorded studio versions of many of their songs. In live concerts, there is more room for improvisations so Keith may play more leads. Just as Glenn is considered the Eagles' rhythm guitarist, but that doesn't preclude him from playing lead on some songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default New footage of Hell Freezes over tour

Some good close up footage gone on youtube recently of the Hell Freezes over shows in New Zealand. Seems to be a whole loada stuff thats relatively new. Check this out, Felder is awesome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRw-8zlB9lM&feature=related[/ame]

Default Re: New footage of Hell Freezes over tour

This bootleg has been circulating for a while now but oh my gosh, I love it! It's fabulous!

I'm going to go ahead and move this to the Eagles video thread, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten