U2
    Van Halen
    Van Morrison
    Velvet Underground
    WHO
    Yes

MikeA

Arrow Re: Greatest Band Round #1

Okay folks, we have our work cut out for us. We have 82 Bands or Artists nominated for consideration!

What I'm thinking is that instead of a "negative vote" we should go "Positive" at least for now.

In this round, Look over the list and pick out the 40 entries that you thing are the most significant out of the group of 82.

Remember, there is a lot more involved in this than "just" chosing the 40 that you "like" better than the rest. While Popularity should weigh in, it should NOT be the only attribute used to select your Top 40.

Things to consider and not in any particular order:

• Popularity
    Obvious
    • Introduction of new Style or Genre
    Eagles with Country Rock
    • Introduction of Presentations in Concerts
    Frank Zappa or DAvid Bowie
    • Influence on other bands/artists
    Robert Johnson, Hendrix
    • Influence on Society
    Beatles
    • Ability to crossover into different genres
    Buddy Guy with Blues and Rock
    • Introduction of new Recording techniques
    Beach Boys maybe
    • Inovation in instrumentation
    Again, Beatles with sitar and orchestra

The above are just examples. Their "weight" has to be an individual choice by YOU, but at least consider those and other attributes when narrowing down the list. A great band or artist elgible for the #1 spot should exhibit or exhibit multiple attributes.

Tallying the votes is not going to be easy as I will have to analyze each post. So to help me out, submit your selection of artists in a post with nothing else in it. Please, no comments or justifications. You are certainly welcome and urged to make those type statements, but please do so in a separate post. That will make it easier for me to tally.

Also, Please submit your selections with each artist/band on a separate line and make the entries exactly as they are in the original list. If the original list says "The Hollies" then don't just say "Hollies". I'll be sorting all the lists together to tally them I think.

THANKS everyone, and Good Luck on your selections.

The next round may have a different procedure. I plan to list the Top 40 as the first post in a new Thread when we get it narrowed down after this first round.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #1

Oh good grief that's a lot! I've pulled the main ones, but I still need like 30 more to go. I've enlisted a friends help for this first round, as I don't even know some of these artists.

Round two I'll be going solo. This is a lot of work Mike, so good luck to you. Also, saw the pics of your storm... ouch... looked like an awful lot of clean up!

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Oh good grief that's a lot! I've pulled the main ones, but I still need like 30 more to go. I've enlisted a friends help for this first round, as I don't even know some of these artists.

Round two I'll be going solo. This is a lot of work Mike, so good luck to you. Also, saw the pics of your storm... ouch... looked like an awful lot of clean up!
    I've made my initial cull for a top 40 but need to review it. Like you, I actually had trouble keeping 40. I might should have started off with each person just picking 20. But, for the first round, I wanted to get what should be a large variety for the next round so we could spend more time really digging into the accomplishments and contributions of the bands we select.

I'll go on record now and say that I have two front-runners picked and they will NOT be popular. One of them was NOT popular but had so much influence on the groups following them that they cannot possibly not be considered to be one of the greatest things that has ever happened to music. Not up to Beatles influence but very likey first runner up to them!
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-10-2009 at 12:11 PM.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I have a couple questions---- I plan on getting to at least part of this this afternoon, but when do we need to get our first round votes in by? Have you sat a deadline yet?

Also, are we to put them ranked the way we want 1-40 or would alphabetical work for you?

Also, Mike, thanks very very very much for coming up with this. This is my kind of thing! But it is going to be a lot of work for you so please do not hesitate to call in help if you need help tallying or whatever. I will gladly lend my hand if it would help you out.

Ooohh ---let the fun begin of narrowing this list down!!!!

ETA---Just looked at the list a little closer!~~~~ God Bless You for adding the Sweet!!!!
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 07-10-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Let's give it through the weekend. Submissions will be closed Monday Morning so you'll have until let's say 7am CDT (-6 UT) Monday, July 13.

That is, unless anyone needs more time. I would rather this take longer than rush anyone into arbitrary selections. My list has changed a dozen times this morning <LOL> and I'm still reviewing and researching.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Here's an example of what we are talking about here.

A couple 20 something friends of ours just dropped by for a few minutes and they had gone to that Dylan/Mellencamp/Nelson concert last weekend that my hubby and kids were at. Asked Larry how he liked it and Brandon the husband said he was so upset about how bad Dylan was but he had expected it and still had to go just to see the legend that he was such a fan of. We proceeded to talk about how he was such a poet and how he had influenced rock n roll as we know it. There were several points made such as how he had written All Along The Watchtower for Jimi Hendrix and that still to this day influences singers. Tiffany, who is a huge fan of Jewel, said she saw an interview one time of Jewel where she stated one of her biggest influences in the music world was Bob Dylan.

Just a little something for thought!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Jewel where she stated one of her biggest influences in the music world was Bob Dylan.

Just a little something for thought!!

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willie! Thanks!

I just discovered I left out one of the key influencing groups in Rock history: The Yardbirds! Oh well, I closed nominations and wouldn't feel right about adding them now. But Page (Zep) and Clapton (solos and Cream) are in the list. Jeff Beck only became the 14th greatest guitarist of all time by Rolling Stone magazine though he really never developed the popularity of the others. Guess he had an attitude and couldn't stay in a band very long before attacking his equipment. Better that than one of the other band MEMBERS!

Imagine that! Here's a group that spawned three of the greatest guitarists EVER: Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck! Clapton went on from the Yardbirds to John Mayall's "Bluesbreakers" and from there to Cream after he and Ginger Baker "stole" Jack Bruce away from Mayall. I would have sworn that Ginger Baker was also in Mayall's circle! But apparently not. Hmmm, come to think of it, McVie, Fleetwood and a guitarist named Peter Green were also in the Bluesbreakers before leaving to form Fleetwood Mac! And, Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones) got his roots planted in the Bluesbreakers too and then Larry Taylor (Bassist from Canned Heat known as "The Mole") later joined John Mayall.

The Bluesbreakers never became terribly popular. Mayall was a Blues Purist pulling inspiration from the likes of Muddy Waters, Lightning Hopkins, Robert Johnson and the rest of the Black Bluesmen from the US. He absolutely insisted on just playing Blues with not a lot of deviation, but in doing this, he drilled his band members to the point of BEATING Blues into them. It is much to his credit that most of the Rock music today is based foundationally on the Blues Genre!

Now THAT's Influence in the Music Industry (Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Cream and the Rolling Stones would not be the bands they became had it NOT been for John Mayall and in my opinion, Rock Music itself would not be what it is today.) The people who've been in the Bluesbreakers reads like a Who's Who of Rock.

MikeA

MikeA's Top Forty

Aerosmith
    Alman Bros
    Aretha Franklin
    BB King
    Beach Boys
    Bee Gees
    Bob Dylan
    Bob Marley
    Bruce Springsteen
    Buddy Holly
    Byrds
    Chuck Berry
    CSNY
    David Bowie
    Dire Straits
    Doors
    Elton John
    Elvis Presley
    Eric Clapton
    Fleetwood Mac
    Frank Zappa
    Grateful Dead
    Heart
    Janis Joplin
    Jimi Hendrix
    John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
    Joni Mitchel
    Led Zeppelin
    Little Richard
    Neil Young
    Pink Floyd
    Prince
    Robert Johnson
    Rolling Stones
    Simon & Garfunkle
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Stevie Wonder
    Supremes
    The Hollies
    WHO

MikeA

I gotta tell you folks, I REALLY had trouble coming up with FORTY entrants that I thought really qualified as being the Greatest of All Times and toward the end, I had to resort to picking some of those that I just enjoy listening to even though I couldn't come up with a single contribution other than good music! These will definitely NOT make my Top Twenty.

MikeA