I don't remember exactly how the song got brought up but during one of my breaks at work last night, a friend/coworker and I were arguing about the meaning of Hotel California. She claims that the song is about a mental institution. I've heard/read many theories on what the song is about but that was the first time I heard someone say that it is about a mential institute. I've even had somebody tell me that it's about vampires. I was thinking of as many quotes from Don and Glenn about the song as I could. Mostly what came to mind was what Don said in the 60 Minutes interview "It's basically a song about the dark underbelly of the American dream and about excess in America which is something we knew a lot about." We were still very much into our debate about the song when we had to get back to work. As soon as I get the chance I'm going to do some research and try to show her what the song is really.

If any of you have any suggestions or know of any links to point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.