Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manchester concert 12th July

Out on the Border

Default Manchester concert 12th July

Well, did I expect anything different? It was top class.

I have seen two Eagles concerts previously but, for whatever reason, this was the best. Possibly due to Joe Walsh being 'on form' and ‘up for it'. It really doesn't matter!

I had two of my children sitting with me (children, age 27 and 21?), with the third sitting in a different area (more on this later). My daughter had her boyfriend with her and I sold (at face value) two spare tickets to a work colleague and her husband.

The latter couple had not seen the Eagles previously and I was wondering how they would see what I feel is a top class act. I should not have thought about as the word fron all parties was 'amazing'! Before the concert began my daughters boyfriend was eyeing the average age of the audience and confided in her he felt 'out of it'. Within about ten minutes of it starting he found he was 'well in it' and after he heard Hotel California he realised there was no going back, he was hooked.

There were many highlights of the first half but the top one was In the City. Full of energy and it generated such an atmosphere! Where has BBF gone from the set list. Are they fed up with it?

At the end of the first half the usual lines came out, Done Henley said they will take a short break and come back and play for a long time. I don't know if somebody in the front row said something about taking a break but Don said 'What, you want us to just keep going'? Was it part of a usual line or genuine, I don't know. But it seemed spontaneous.

The second had something for everybody. Slow ballads, old hits and Mr Walsh having the energy of a twenty year old, (have I said how good he was Saturday?)!!!

I saw the Eagles at the O2 in 2008 and at that concert Long Road Out of Eden was a top performance and I wondered if I would feel the same on Saturday. For delivery, production, affect and improvisation (from the CD version) it was the most complete performance, which can only come from real quality.

Why did they drop 'Somebody'? I was in no hurray to get home!

Don's voice was a little 'raspy' due to maybe being overused or an infection, but did not spoil anything.

The son that was sitting further back commented the mix and balance was not right in the second half and it was reducing the clarity on some of the rockier songs. In fact, he said there was an echo coming off the wall behind them. I respect his view as he is musically trained to a very high level! I just know what sounds good. He was also at the O2 concert and felt that was slightly better.

I did feel Joe played one rock song too many, however I need to declare I cannot enjoy Funk 49 and am therefore slightly biased when wanting to change that for anything else!

Heartache tonight was top class but my daughter felt Life In The Fast Lane was her favourite (and on a par with Take It To The Limit).

I did not get chance to the couple we sold the spare tickets to after the concert but saw the lady in work today. I wish it could be bottled and sold legally; she is still on a high!

So, it finished and all four spent time thanking the audience like I have not seen previously. It was appreciated.

One gripe. Why does anybody feel the need to get up during the show to go for a beer? If a beer is more important it would be cheaper to find a local pub with an old juke box!

I just thought, somebody may wonder where my wife was. She had a prior engagement - village barbeque where The Ranting Dogs were playing

Enough said, now you know why I was in Manchester!

Default Re: Manchester concert 12th July

Thank you so much for your great review - and welcome, tyalaw!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Thanks for the review! I always love hearing from anyone who's been at a show. I enjoy hearing how others connect with the music I adore so much!

it happens, people drink beer, they drink before show then at show. its ok 2 or 3, but how do they want to stand in those huge ques waiting. no thanks lol over priced, mybe nxt time bring your own cool bag with 6 bottle for 5.50 lol instead of cheap crap beer for 3.50 lol.

i could mke a fortune lol.

glad u enjoyed the show, i loved the glasgow one i was at.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Welcome tyalaw Your great review makes me even more excited for Thursday. I'm glad you had a great night.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling View Post
    Welcome tyalaw Your great review makes me even more excited for Thursday. I'm glad you had a great night.
    Thanks.

I have no doubt you will have a great night.

So many great points I did not mention, but you'll see for yourself!

Welcome from me too Tyalaw. Always glad to hear from somebody who appreciates Joe!

Don's reply to the fan about taking a break was spontaneous - he didn't offer it at my shows anyway!

Unfortunately BBF was dropped a while ago (around March) and Somebody seems to come and go these days.

Funny story about your daughter's boyfriend. Some bands are just timeless!

In The City is awesome live! I could hear it again and again and again!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Welcome from me too, tyalaw! Thanks for the review. Glad you had such a great time.

And Don - YES, we want you to just keep going!!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Just a snippet, but worth watching for Don's passion.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS2zI0GfSlM[/ame]

Wow.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten