Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other contemporary bands/artists Eagles loved

Default Other contemporary bands/artists Eagles loved

Of course they all loved The Beatles, Beach Boys, stuff that came out before, but I was hoping we'd stick to their contemporaries, in the 70s... A lot of bands don't usually give credit to others unless they REALLY mean it.

I tried looking for something similar in the history of other posts to avoid redundancy, didn't see any. Doesn't matter if they are no longer members either.

I know Glenn in particular said he loved Steely Dan, and that they were an influence on their songwriting.

I also just read part of the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and how Glenn also listened to Neil Young and Al Green for example.

As an aside, I wonder if any were fans of Supertramp, to me, the most underrated band ever. They just were never in the news - no known drug problems, very civilized, never trashed hotels, no rumors of infidelity, just the music. As much as I love Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Who, as I check back on newspapers.com so many of the stories were about sex and drugs, but not the music......

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Other contemporary bands/artists Eagles loved

For some reason LITFL has always sounded a bit like ZZ Top to me. The verses anyway. But I think it reminds me more of what ZZ Top did after Hotel California. So ZZ Top probably wasn't an influence?

Banned

Well as top musicians, they have an appreciation of all types of music. The Soul Pole recordings have the Eagles knocking out impromptu versions of Purple Haze, Sedaka's, Calender Girl and a bit of The Drifters, from memory. I've heard witnesses say they've seen them play Ray Charles Lonely Avenue and Robert Parker's Barefootin' during sessions.

Joe and Tim have recorded with many, many artists from all types of genres. Joe has recorded classical music on his own albums and the last track of Analog Man, India, was influenced by Joe finally getting "House" music in India a few years ago.

Besides Ray Charles, Don's heralded Randy Newman and Leonard Cohen. He's covered a couple of David Gray tunes during solo shows. David Gray also inspired Glenn's No More Cloudy Days. Glenn's done a few, Al Green falsetto numbers, Fast Company is Don's. Glenn was heavily involved with Max Carl's career at one point after becoming a fan of Jack Mack and The Heart Attack.

Joe actually joined, New Zealand band, The Herbs in 1989. He's also produced albums by 70s protege, Dan Fogelberg and his now, brother-in-law, Ringo Starr.

Other artists, off the top of my head, who've had Eagles support;
    Warren Zevon, The Dixie Chicks, Elton John and Bob Seger. I hesitate to mention Stevie Nicks but she's has had Eagles connections...

Stuck on the Border

CSN&Y, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, JD Souther, Bob Seger have all been named as influences, particularly by Glenn.

From a recent Glenn interview, of the bands they toured with early on they liked Procul Harum but not Jethro Tull.

Don Felder liked Yes - he wrote about being more excited to see Yes than his friend Bernie's band.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Don H. liked The Dillards, a bluegrass band that played the Troubadour regularly [and also appeared on The Andy Griffith Show as a backwoods clan called The Darlings, but that's another story].

Glenn mentions that Poco was one of their favourite bands as a cue for Timothy to join himself, Glenn & Don on stage during HotE concerts.

Stuck on the Border

Glenn has also heralded Randy Newman, of course. I had a nice moment with him at the Opera House when he said that Randy was his favourite American songwriter to which I nodded vigorously & he saw me. He is also a fan of Paul Simon & James Taylor. Then there was his praise as a songwriter of Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight, which would lead me to hope he likes some of Phil's other work (they have both used horns & covered Motown).

Forgive me for this but when Don covered I'm The Fool he said that Mark Knopfler was a great guitarist & songwriter. As far as I'm concerned, I Dreamed There Was No War has to be influenced by MK's playing.

Banned

I was going to mention Mark Knopfler, Freypower but I thought I'd allow you the honour Certainly no need to ask forgiveness,

I'm sure the guys are fans of Joe's, The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get album. It initiated Joe and Bill Szymczyk working with the band, and to a much lesser extent, Joe Vitale.

Timothy's got a thing for The Kingston Trio, and when asked to perform a classic track on a UK Radio station he opted for Blind Faith's Can't Find My Way Home. Glenn did Take It To The Limit, when he was asked.

Bruce Springsteen, Tony Bennett, Sting, Billy Joel, and John Fogerty all performed at Don H.'s wedding in May 1995, so I will assume he is an admirer of all of them. So did Jackson Browne and Sheryl Crow, but they were already known for their musical collaborations with Don.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I don't think that anyone has mentioned The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield. Both of whom, Glenn has mentioned several times. Also, the James Gang,too.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time