Thread: Attn NJ/NY fans, The Smithereens Pat Dinizio does an Eagles Tribute 08-05

Default Attn NJ/NY fans, The Smithereens Pat Dinizio does an Eagles Tribute 08-05

Besides the Eagles being one of my favorite bands another is The Smithereens, the 80s/90s Jersey band of such hits like "A girl like you" , "blood and roses" , "behind a wall of sleep" , "only a memory" etc.

Well the singer and songwriter of the band (which still plays together and recently opened for Tom Petty) Pat DiNizio also does solo gigs here and there. He currently is doing a weekly acoustic solo show (i believe its acoustic) at a place called crossroads in garwood nj which is close to his scotch plains home. Every wednesday he does a tribute to different bands and this wednesday the 5th he will be doing an Eagles tribute.

I was actually surprised since the Smithereens appeared in the post-punk era that was not so Eagles-friendly. Pat himself admits he has never owned an Eagles album but thinks it will be interesting to put his spin onto Eagle songs. Pat is an amazing songwriter himself so this should be good.

For those that dont remember The Smithereens here is a clip. This song was written for the cameron crowe movie "Say Anything" but was eventually cut because crowe thought it gave too much of the movie away.

http://youtu.be/5LwjD8z2mOg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Out on the Border

Default Re: Attn NJ/NY fans, The Smithereens Pat Dinizio does an Eagles Tribute 08-05

For about two years in the late 80s I lived the Smithereens. I so remember them fondly. That's so incredible. If you're going, please report back or send a review or something. I know Pat and the band's done a few tribute albums and/or songs; they really put their heart into it and it always seems so right. I'm curious about this one and song choice, since as you mentioned they've mostly covered, I'd guess, pop bands that influenced punkers in some way. The ad shows Hotel CA. Is he doing that album?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Attn NJ/NY fans, The Smithereens Pat Dinizio does an Eagles Tribute 08-05

Thanks for the heads up, OMNJ. Sounds like it may be interesting. It seems strange that he would want to cover their songs if he's not a fan. I wonder if he will change the arrangement of the songs a lot?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016