Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamburg, Germany 7-16-09

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Default Hamburg, Germany 7-16-09

OMG, what a night I just got back home but had to come here to tell you I had a fantastic night.

We were sitting in the second row, don't know why because we had 4th row tickets, but the first row had the number 3 so we had our seats in number 4 but it was second row LOL I know this is confusing LOL

They came out a few minutes after 8 pm and played for 3 hours, with a 15 minutes break. They wore the suits, no change of clothes but without the jackets in the second half. Glenn was wearing his jacket during the whole show but not during the acoustic set. Is this right, Koala? I'm not sure. I know I said I didn't like the suits but have to say they looked terrific in them. It doesn't matter what they are wearing anyway it's all about the music.

But what I'm saying you all know it already they were FANTASTIC. I don't remember all the details in the moment I'm tired. The sound was great, their voices clear as crystal, Joe blew me away with his guitar solos in ITC, which was different from what I've heard before.

I remember I said LROOE was my last favorite on the album and someone replied, wait until you hear it live. And with good reason... that was terrific, one of the best songs today. The guitar playing was absolutely great, I was sitting there with my mouth wide open.
    WITW was the song I looked forward to the most and they didn't disappoint. The harmonies were beautiful.
    They were all in a good mood, Joe funny as always, Glenn chatty with introducing the songs. Timmy got lots of cheers, of course the others too. And Don's voice is awesome as always.

As much as I liked the set list I missed NKIT and TS a bit, but the new songs made me forget that really fast. The only thing is they really could drop the solo songs and include some more of the last album.
    I liked the videos in the backgroud but was more focussed on the guys so I can't tell you much LOL I didn't want to miss anything.

I'm sure Koala will post some more. Too bad I couldn't take some photos, I tried it but the first turned out very bad so I stopped doing that.

I'm off to bed now and look foward what Koala has to say We met before the show and had the chance to chat a little bit.

Good night everyone.

I forgot to say someone gave Timmy a red rose at the end... now I regret that I had not one for Glenn. It was easy to go to the guys if you wanted to give them something. Damn
    Last edited by EasyFeeling; 07-16-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Hamburg, Germany 7-16-09

Thanks for the review EF!

Goodnight EF and sweet dreams!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Sounds like a fantastic time. I wish I were there! I bet whoever gave Timmy that rose was in heaven that she was able to do so.

I'm happy to hear you had a great time.

Thanks for your review!
    It was really nice to meet you!

Now, I write my review, patience please!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I'm still on cloud 9

Here's the first review, it was written by a young reporter who has of course heard from the Eagles, but only in a karaoke bar LOL And he's totally impressed.

http://ndr2.de/events/eagles106.html

If you click on the photo in the right upper corner you can see some photos.

I put it in the translator, terrible what came out LOL I had to correct here and there.

The experimental arrangement is simple: A reporter in early 30 - musicians beyond the 60th. The conditions of the experiment are very difficult: Sure, I have already heard from the Eagles - but only in the Karaokebar. Eagles? Definitely not my time to my music.
    At the end, but surprisingly the result of the self-experiment: I'm highly impressed!

The impression started just by looking at the clock: three hours Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy Schmit played in the Hamburg Arena. And one gets the impression that they were not even thinking to stop that.

It started clear and straight forward - out of nowhere without a big fuss - with "How Long". These bright white light, gray suits and serious ties.

The Eagles put the music in the center from the very beginning - the tunes are the stars. A video show in the background, there are either no or only pleasantly restrained pictures. The first half of the show is more catchy and restrained - then later disappear not only the jackets, even the sound is getting stronger and the guitar solos are getting longer and more powerful.

They brought eight guest musicians in Hamburg for assistance on the scene. Trumpets, saxophones and percussion - plus piano and mandolin and many guitars of course. The Eagles changed their instruments in their appearance more often than Madonna costumes. Don Henley once played on the guitar, then he sits back on the drums and sings his greatest Solohit "The Boys Of Summer". And while Joe Walsh sings with his incredible very own voice "In The City", bubbling sounds come out of his guitar.
    It is a live concert in perfection. Not one false tone, everything fits together perfectly.

And the same goes for the voices. "No More Walks In The Wood" reduces everything to the chorus of four - the acoustic guitars disappear entirely in the background. As Timothy Schmit is singing "I Do not Want To Hear", the voices of the others went into purr. But it is not the only perfection that impressed. It seems as if the Eagles bring their guitars to talk - perhaps even to make magic. This may sound corny - but with "Long Road Out Of Eden", the settlement with the Bush policy, only beseechingly guitar sound, then they sound suing. And in "Waiting In The Weeds", it sounds like a gently summer rain. The Eagles make it, spirit from nowhere and probably this is what they made them legends.

And in the end, the Eagles were making fun on themselves, as old photos and movies flit across the screen. The band in dazzlingly colorful and oversized clothes - sometimes with terrifying mustaches. It is a wink - they seem to know what their songs mean to the fans.
    The Eagles are more than 240 years ond together. Their history is long and volatile. They were divided, separated and reunited - were already on farewell tour - and are still in business. And that seems to be right!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Glad to hear back from you two and that you enjoyed the show. Glad you were able to meet up before.

Nice review, I especially love toward the end, "And the same goes for the voices. "No More Walks In The Wood" reduces everything to the chorus of four - the acoustic guitars disappear entirely in the background. As Timothy Schmit is singing "I Do not Want To Hear", the voices of the others went into purr. But it is not the only perfection that impressed. It seems as if the Eagles bring their guitars to talk - perhaps even to make magic. This may sound corny - but with "Long Road Out Of Eden", the settlement with the Bush policy, only beseechingly guitar sound, then they sound suing. And in "Waiting In The Weeds", it sounds like a gently summer rain. The Eagles make it, spirit from nowhere and probably this is what they made them legends.". Really nice to hear it put like that!

Gotta say tho, the pictures just crack me up! I swear every time I pull up pictures with the suits anymore, I think I've already seen them before. I think they are the same ones but are getting recycled into each new review. There is a cute one of Will there and love the one of Joe with his arms wide spread.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

What should I say,
    now I have seen my first Eagles concert and it was great!
    After the admittance one steward told us our block was closed. We got new tickets with better seats and with a better view of the stage.
    I was of course totally excited like the last days and couldnīt wait until it finally started!

Then shortly before the start I met with Michaela, unfortunately it was a short meeting but it was very nice!

Then, finally, it started!
    When I heard the first sounds by How Long I got a goose bumps! It was amazing an unbelievable feeling!
    Heartache Tonight is one of my Eagles favorite songs it was great to hear it live!
    Peaceful Easy Feeling, Lyin' Eyes, Take It To the Limit and No More Cloudy Days, these four songs were incredibly well sung by Glenn!
    His voice sounds great last night!

When Glenn announced NMCD, Don said in between it the song is Track 8 from the LROOE album!
    And of course also there came the joke with the dead sea, this time told by Glenn.

I Do not Want To Hear Anymore,
    Love will Keep Us Alive and I Can not Tell You Why sounded fantastic!

Joe's Walk Away, Funk 49, In The City, Life's Been Good and Rocky Mountain Way were breathtakingly good! His solos were out of this world!

Joe has a new fan, the boyfriend of my sister, he he was fascinated from Joe! They were previously skeptical because the two knew no song or only a few!

Hotel California was brilliant, Don sounded very well (and looked very good with his stubbles!)
    That was also the first time all the viewers in our block stood, not for the last time!
    The Boys of Summer was great too, the audience stood the next time! Dirty Laundry the next Highlight! The audience stood again! It was a great mood! Witchy Woman, Life In The Fast Lane and One of these Nights were of course great too, really brilliantly sung from Don! The Long Run just great!

One of the Highliths for me were No More Walks in The Wood and Waiting On The Weeds! The harmonies sounded fantastically,
    their voices was clean! Magnificent!

Long Road Out Of Eden was incredible! I just sat there and was speechless! Just Happy!
    From Heartache Tonight nearly the whole audiences tood and they stayed up to the end!

Now to Take It Easy and Desperado these both songs were another highlight!
    Both songs were very emotional for me! Firstly because they are my favorite songs and secondly because I knew that the concert is over in a few minutes!

Unfortunately, they have not played Somebody and BBF!
    These two songs I had heard so gladly!

What I can still say.................... ah, I know!
    I would like to see an Eagles concert again! It was unbelievable, an unforgettable night! I am still very excited, however, also a little bit sadly!
    I have so long waited for the concert and now it's over! What comes now?

So that's it! This was my review!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Koala, I loved your review-I felt like I was seeing them all over again!
    I know what you mean about looking forward to the concert and now it's over-I feel the same way about the Glasgow concert-I looked forward to it for so many months, and now it's all over. However, being here on the board certainly helps a lot, so stick with us, and we can give you lots of encouragement!
    You did a great job on the concert review, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the concert so much-our guys are certainly the best, aren't they??

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Koala--WELL SAID!!! Very good review and so glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully you will get another chance to see them. Until then, hold this show in your memories!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low