Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: For those with a sense of humor...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: For those with a sense of humor...

Rhonda-we've all seen the way you write--I bet those are some good lyrics!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Shore thang:

Originally Posted by ticky
    How about Hotel Oregon,
    "On a wet slippery interstate, I smashed into a log truck."

MikeA

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

we should make that a game, take an Eagles song and add your own lyrics..

"Runnin' down the road tryin' to loosen my load, got a slab of cheese cake on my mind, lookin' for a cup cake that wont make my butt big, it's soo hard to find..."

LOL! Making 'cup cake' and 'butt big' rhyme is probably my favourite example of poetic license of all time Too funny! Great idea, too. I wouldn't put it past us to put that game into action here on The Border. (We're all suffering PEW, right? These are desperate times!)

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I say go for it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    LOL! Making 'cup cake' and 'butt big' rhyme is probably my favourite example of poetic license of all time Too funny! Great idea, too. I wouldn't put it past us to put that game into action here on The Border. (We're all suffering PEW, right? These are desperate times!)
    "Cup Cake" and "Butt Ache"?

I'm stayin' OUT of this one! It could be dangerous for a respectable guy like me!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I think Glenn also wrote all the lyrics to "I dreamed there was no War".

And they're pretty thought-provoking, aren't they?

This gave me a huge laugh, Mike. Thank you.

Rambo, regarding the part where you think that some of Glenn's songs sound like commercial jingles - it's pretty hard to answer that. They are catchy, like all good pop songs. (He didn't write Sea Cruise).

Regarding the amount of lyrics actually written by Glenn he tends not to give himself credit unless you are listening hard. There are several songs from Strange Weather where he is discussing the lyrical content (Love In The 21st Century being one of them) and he talks about how he proposed ideas for songs to Tempchin and then they wrote them. He doesn't give me the impression that he didn't write any lyrics. In the case of River Of Dreams, for instance, I honestly think that most of that must be by him.

With Eagles lyrics it is less certain what he wrote. I think he wrote more of Hotel California than he has ever been given credit for. The same goes for Get Over It which he described as a true collaboration with he and Don 'throwing couplets' at each other. But what about the Henley songs on LROOE? The title track? Because he sings so much harmony with Henley I would like to think he helped with the lyrics, but FGOTP, probably not.

I repeat that I thought the majority of what he said in that interview was valid and expressed in an amusing way (although I found his example of Huey Lewis rather strange - I've always found him rather bland. Glenn now plays golf with him). Mind you as I sat there at the time with my mouth hanging open, staring, it was hard to be objective. I really miss those days when Glenn was willing to do more interviews and give of himself.

I honestly don't mind Glenn being criticised if it's warranted. On this board, however, we have a hard core of Glenn fans who will normally leap to his defence.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think he wrote any of the lyrics to co-written songs. I too believe he writes more than he gets credit for, but he continually seems to downplay his own role in that regard.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    we should make that a game, take an Eagles song and add your own lyrics..

"Runnin' down the road tryin' to loosen my load, got a slab of cheese cake on my mind, lookin' for a cup cake that wont make my butt big, it's soo hard to find..."
    Desperate times call for desperate measures... Brilliant idea!

I love the fact that everyone is trying their best to come up with new things to do till the next round of concerts are announced (yes Ticky, there will be more concerts, all out West). PACE YOURSELVES everyone. We might have to make these last awhile!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

"There will be more concerts, all out West..."

SIGH. Toby Keith was right, I should've been a cowboy and moved to California.

Never seen this creation before - just wanted to express my gratitude; the slide inserts were hilarious. While I'm definitely a Frey fan I don't automatically leap to the defense, and found it exceptionally amusing.

I do wish they still gave interviews like this. The infamous Rolling Stone stomach flu one really teed them off, but at least it conveyed something other than Henley's stance on this, that or the other thing of international import, as the most recent one did (I say that as a Henley fan; don't rush to seize your arms). I miss Frey in the media.

My one [playful] protest is your insinuation that his long '70s hair qualifies as "bad"! Objection! As a member of the "I wish long hair on guys would make a comeback" camp I object!