Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those with a sense of humor...

Default Re: For those with a sense of humor...

However, it seems obvious he was amping up the "outrage" to get some laughs. And I have to admit that many of the clips you provided as "evidence" of his hypocrisy are clips that I love! For instance, I find those little extra "yows" in concert to be very hot and I'm sad the Eagles don't do more little improvisations like that.
    Well said, Soda! I also think that Glenn was trying to be amusing in the interview. I read his final remarks as a sort of apology to the interviewer for his rant. Those "yows" make me !

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I loved that!! The 80's what were we all thinking? Actually I still get a kick out of seeing old videos like those of our Mr Frey. I loved them then, love them now!! He's always had a sense of humor about it all I think. Rambo-I think you did a great job putting it all together that way!

One thing tho---Is that a recent Bob Segar clip? Wow-he hasn't aged as well as I would like if so.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Joe, you know I think you're terrific, and I love your sense of humor. You really know how to make people laugh!

However, it seems obvious he was amping up the "outrage" to get some laughs. And I have to admit that many of the clips you provided as "evidence" of his hypocrisy are clips that I love! For instance, I find those little extra "yows" in concert to be very hot and I'm sad the Eagles don't do more little improvisations like that. Also, I think I was supposed to react negatively to the clip of The Boss and feel Glenn's compliments of him were unwarranted, but I'm not sure why... Springsteen rocks live!

I can't find fault with your editing skills, though. You got it goin' on there and you're gonna go places, if you ask me.

And I have to say... some of your vid content DID make me laugh!
    Hey Nancy! Thanks for the compliments... but your comments made me forget to acknowledge something very obvious: I'm admittedly being TOTALLY unfair to Frey. My intention was too just "throw the kitchen sink" of potential jokes at him given his snarky attitude. I also love the "Yows" and the end of Sumggler's Blues (but they aren't the most... melodic?), and the clips of Huey Lewis, the Boss, and Bob Seger were to simply show that "straight from the hip" rock'n'roll that he likes. In fact, I shot the videos I used of the Huey Lewis and the Boss. I agree with Frey on Huey, Springsteen, and Seger.

My real beef with Frey is that I think he overestimates his own lyrical ability a tad when he has songs like "Better in the USA" and "Sexy Girl" on his docket. I also tend not to like songs that sound as if they were written to be commerical jingles like Livin' Right (actually used on a commercial), Love in the 21st Century, PartyTown, Sea Cruise, or Better in the USA (also used in a commercial). I guess those songs super disappoint me because I know Frey has the ability to ROCK -- You Belong to the City, Smuggler's Blues, The Heat is On are all fantastic! And they are the reason he was a successful solo artist.

Anyway, if you folks liked my ability to make vicious, unfair fun of people - I'd be glad to do it to Henley, Felder, or Walsh too, but I don't know of any particulary snarky interview clips of them.
    "City streets don't have much pity,
    When you're down, that's where you'll stay..."
    -Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by RamboIV View Post
    Anyway, if you folks liked my ability to make vicious, unfair fun of people - I'd be glad to do it to Henley, Felder, or Walsh too, but I don't know of any particulary snarky interview clips of them.
    lol! Glad to know you're equal opportunity.

It's interesting that you think he overestimates his own lyric-writing ability. It may sound so in that interview, but as a rule he is very modest about such things and lavishes praise upon Henley as the lyrical genius while downplaying himself. In his solo work, Jack Tempchin usually performs Henley's role in their partnership. I believe the only songs for which Glenn has written the lyrics without a partner are Chug All Night (hey, he was young), Get You in the Mood (remember, young, lol), Most of Us Are Sad, All Those Lies, No More Cloudy Days, and You Are Not Alone.*

*You could add Rebecca and Run Boy Run to that list if you count Longbranch Pennywhistle.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I think Glenn also wrote all the lyrics to "I dreamed there was no War".

MikeA

IDTWNW is an instrumental.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    EL, look at the title of this thread...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    EL, look at the title of this thread...

I saw it

Yeah, my sense of humor can be pretty left-field at times.

MikeA

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I sometimes make up my own words to it... in fact.. I do that with about everything.. makes singing in the car a lot more fun