Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Chuck Berry had the concept and did play different genres in order to hook more people and become more popular. Nothing wrong with that. And it did pave the way in general for what was to come. You can never take that away from him.

But when it comes down to who did the most, I think that the Stones, Presley (who pioneered along with Berry), didn't contribute as much to the basics as did Dylan and Hendrix.

Dylan certainly gets "my" nod for busting the game wide open when it came to the content and relative significance of popular music.

Hendrix gets the nod for technical breakthroughs both in prodigy class (COMPLETE use of the guitar as an instrument) and in his innovations with hardware. But it didn't stop there. His innovations in the studio with production set new standards.

In terms of Performance, I'd give the nod to Stones or Presley and I can't chose between the two of them!

So in my own criteria, there are three factors: Songwriting, Technical and Performance.

With those three Criteria, I think that Hendrix probably came the closest to excelling in contributions in all three than the other four. He was an accomplished songwriter. He was the focus of performances in everything from his flashy stage presence along with the theatrics of burning his guitar (a gimmic I think he got from The Who with their violent destruction of equipment). Then to top it off, he introduced "effects pedals" both to generate distortion as well as the new Wah Wah pedal effects. He became a master in the studio in putting the polish on the end product fully incorporating the new "stereo" format that no one really knew how to use before he showed them.

It is quite possible to be validly argued that others excelled Jimi in either Songwriting or Performance, but I don't think any of the artists did all three of the major categories as well as Hendrix and certainly, none exceeded his self taught expertise with his instrument of choice which set the standard for guitar players that has lasted through to the current day.

My vote has to go for

Jimi Hendrix

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    However, my heart always tells me that they have also always been overrated.
    Well Dreamer--you have truly broken my heart with that statement! But everyone has their opinion, even if it's wrong. Actually you aren't the only one that I've ever heard say that even tho I don't get it but like I've admitted before, I don't get the whole Beatles thing myself so it's all a matter of taste I believe.

After a long and hard thought process (which really hasn't helped much) I narrowed it down to Hendrix and the Stones. I kept telling myself that by golly, the Stones are still doing it as good as they ever did. But then that isn't fair to Jimi because I think he probably would still have been also given the chance.

Elvis & Chuck of course were there first and paved the way but don't think they are really deserving and don't really know why. Maybe I'm just a tad to young to remember the hysteria of Elvis and all. When it comes to songwriting, no one can deny that Dylan definitely broke that wide open. They don't call him a poet for nothing.

Which once again brings me to my last 2 choices. I wish we had narrowed this down to two catergories, group and individual, then I would have my winner for both. But I am going to give the nod to....

JIMI HENDRIX for the win. Sorry Mick & Company!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Heaven knows I've thought about this too much! I have decided to eliminate Chuck Berry. His contributions are nothing short of awesome, but hey, I had to cut someone.

Mike, you have made good agruements for Hendrix all along. I agree that he was certainly an innovator. His playing style unique and never quite duplicated... but to me, what makes a song is the lyrics. Even if it has a good beat and you can dance to it (American Bandstand for those that may have been lost on), I need content. Yes, some instrumentals are great, but I'm a lyric girl. I like the story, I want the visuals. I want someone to wow me with their mind. Others wanted to sing Dylan's songs, The Byrds, Sonny and Cher, Manford Mann, etc... He influenced Lennon, McCartney, Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens and the list surly goes on. His lyrics made you think, they were smart, I like that! While it wasn't easy, my vote goes to

Bob Dylan.

To back my arguement, he wrote for a nation:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaoc_mMMTFk&feature=related[/ame]
    Last edited by luvthelighthouse; 07-20-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Good arguments everyone! You cannot lose in choosing any of these five! Between Dylan and Hendrix, I don't think there is a hairsbreath of superiority or in contributions and influence either. It just depends on which rubber ruller you use to do the measurements.

MikeA

OK, it's very tough....and of course, if we had categories for solo and group, I'd be all set. Choosing between Dylan and the Stones, for arguments already well said by the others...I choose Bob Dylan.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well, I’m not too surprised at the results here. It is hard for me to choose with the bands and solo acts mixed. I am very conflicted right now about which act will get my final vote – right now it’s a virtual tie in my mind. When I decide, I’m going to rank my top five.

If you take away the solo acts, the way I see it, there are four bands that are in the very top echelon above and beyond all others – The Beatles, Eagles, The Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin. The criteria I used in forming my opinion are:

• Popularity
    • Quality and quantity of their music and songwriting
    • Influence on other musicians and rock culture
    • Longevity
    Of course, my two favorites were left out of this “experiment”. Now if they had been included, I think The Beatles should probably win most of the time in any kind of poll, contest, or “exercise” such as this. My second place vote would go to the Eagles, even though I know everyone would not agree with me. I personally think the Eagles have always been extremely underrated by the critics. Also, because of their mass appeal, I think in some respects it was considered “cool” to hate them – kinda the anti-establishment attitude. It’s very difficult to explain because in so many ways the Eagles were among the anti-establishment, but yet, they somehow managed to break the barrier with their beautiful harmonies and melodies so that their music also appealed to the establishment. It’s as if some people loved their music, harmonies, and melodies so much that they didn’t care what the lyrics were about. Even though they are the band that defines country rock, they also managed to very successfully crossover into so many other genres of music. So while the band does have some detractors, I believe their popularity surpasses the Stones and Zeppelin, and that helps earn them 2nd place on my list. I just don’t believe that any other band has such widespread “crossover” appeal among all kinds of people and age groups. Many people from all walks of life just plain and simply love their music. I think this is why, even after the band broke up, their music just wouldn’t die.

I’ve never been a huge Rolling Stones fan, but their longevity alone puts them very close to the Eagles on my list. As has already been pointed out, these guys were kind of the “anti-Beatles” when they first arrived on the scene with a harder, edgier, sound – perhaps the precursor to hard rock. I like a lot of their songs, but not to extent that I like Eagles songs. There is no denying the impact they have had on rock music. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any other band that has stayed together for 45 years without breaking up.

Now, this brings me to Led Zeppelin. My purely objective head acknowledges that they have earned a place among the other three elite bands mentioned here. However, my heart always tells me that they have also always been overrated. They are the original hard rock band. It’s not that they aren’t talented, and I know they have big fan base and sold lots of records, but I don’t believe they (or hard rock) have anywhere near the broad crossover appeal of The Beatles or the Eagles. For whatever reasons, as much as it was considered “cool” for the anti-establishment to hate the Eagles, it was also considered “cool” to like Zeppelin. To this day, I still feel so “uncool” when I admit that I am not a big fan. But, I actually know a lot of other people who feel much the same way as I do. In all honesty, Stairway to Heaven is about the only Zeppelin song that I like a lot – to me, it is indeed the band’s one true masterpiece. Most of their music just doesn’t appeal to me. The only CD I own these days is Mothership, but I never listen to it. I actually once tried to give it away to my 18 year old niece, but she listened to it and said “no thanks”. Sorry, Led Zeppelin fans, but I just don’t think their music resonates that well outside of the hard rock/heavy metal fan base, and that is the reason that the band didn’t make the final cut here.
    Dreamer, this is all perfect! Thank you for this.

First of all, this contest started out being to choose the greatest BAND. Now I know they all had bands behind them, but they weren't known for them.

So, some of you may not like it for that reason, but my vote goes to

THE STONES.

They've been my choice from the very beginning, as you know. As someone just said, they've been doing it for over 40 years and most of the time, they've done it very well and not broken up.

That doesn't in any way diminish what these others have done, but this is for The Band.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Why does it have to be a band? A solo artist can also influence a generation, JMHO.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Why does it have to be a band? A solo artist can also influence a generation, JMHO.
    I think she just means the contest originally started as, "who is the second greatest band" ... not second greatest act. It was lightly debated in the beginning if we should just do bands or allow solo acts as well. It's Mike's game and he decided to allow both. That's all Brooke meant, I think.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Exactly right, ltlh. Thanks.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Well, IMHO, I think if Both Bands and Acts are influential, then they both should be included.