Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

I would like to have had two classifications, more for solo artist and one for bands... but that would have been even more work! All in all, this was really fun and way too thought provoking! Also, I learned some things along the way too... I think that was the best part for me. I was talking about these artists to someone at work and another person rounds the corner and says, "wow, you sure know a lot about the music of my generation, I don't even know all that". She was impressed and I felt cool.

EagleLady, Brooke, and everyone else,

You are right about the name of the "game"....I definitely stated at teh beginning, that it was "Second Greatest Band" thinking that I had to state it somewhat like that to disallow Both the Beatles and Eagles from the competition. The Beatles, well, because every poll ever taken has rated them the #1 influence. I wanted the Eagles eliminated simply because of the bias of this Forum.

Now, I have to make apologies for the rest of the title. I was more concerned with the elimination of the Eagles and Beatles with use of the word "SECOND BEST" than I was in my misuse of the word BAND. It never occurred to me that we wouldn't be including both solo acts as well as bands when I initially suggested we do something like this.

"We" (Mainly Luvthelighthouse and I if I remember correctly) talked about whether we should have two contests...one for bands and one for individuals.

I thought about it and decided that rather than have another contest to decide the rules on this contest (LOL) we should include BOTH individuals as well as groups. My reasoning really was that if there was a band contest, it would probably include an individual who would probably be a major contender in the individual contest.

So in the end, it was MY decision and no one else can claim that responsibility <LOL> I shall bare my back (but only to the waist!) and allow alternating participants to whip me with wet noodles!

If we had two contests, one for individuals and one for bands, it could result in Brian Wilson winning the Individual contest and then the Beach Boys (mainly because of the output of Brian Wilson) winning the Band contest....so in reality, there would be only one contest.

By doing it the way we have done it with both in the same contest, my hope was that we would come up with the most influential factor in Music Culture whether it be an individual Artist or the conglomerative efforts of a complete Band.

The bottom line is that the entire thing should have been named:

"The Second Greatest Influence to Music Culture" or something like that.

The good thing about this is that no band or individual is going to get much gratification from the thoughts of the eleven or twelve of us participating in this momentous endeavor! <LOL>

It has been good mental exercise. It has caused me anyway, to look at a lot of factors associated with groups and individuals that I had not paid enough attention to in the past....genres that I have little emotional interest in.

MikeA

Disallowing The Eagles just because this is an Eagles forum is very uncalled for.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Disallowing The Eagles just because this is an Eagles forum is very uncalled for.
    And so is your rude remark!

Since Mike was the one who initiated this "experiment", he could establish any rules and guidelines that he wanted to. Anyone who doesn't like his rules is free to "opt" out.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

You are joking, right? I took it as a joke... but maybe you are serious. If you are serious, you have to understand where Mike was coming from. I mean, we all hang out on an Eagle message forum... we wouldn't be here if we all didn't love the band and think they were amongst the best. Heck, if they were allowed in the contest, I'd put that at the top of my list!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And so is your rude remark!

Since Mike was the one who initiated this "experiment", he could establish any rules and guidelines that he wanted to. Anyone who doesn't like his rules is free to "opt" out.

Rude? This is America, Freedom of speech, Right to an opinion.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Rude? This is America, Freedom of speech, Right to an opinion.
    EL - At the risk of totally hijacking this thread or going into an extended lecture on the 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution, let me just say that freedom of speech does not extend to a message board that is created and run by individuals on the Internet. The owner of this site set the rules here and if you review them, they ask that all of the members here be respectful of one another.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Ok then.

I tried to explain why I disqualified the Eagles AND Beatles. With either in the contest, it simply would not have generated the interest. No Brainer. Eagles Win, Beatles come in Second. End of discussion. I don't know how I could more clearly state that as a reason and it was stated in the BEGINNING before any votes were cast.

As for 1st Ammendment Rights, yup....the right is there to say whatever you wish. But you ain't gonna get no Dale Carnegie "Win Friends and Influence People" awards. <LOL>

If anyone is confused or offended by my statements, then I respectfully suggest making use of the "IGNORE POST" option this Forum so thoughtfully provided.

Personally, I've had fun with this. I found it extremely interesting. No regrets other than I wish I had come up with a different Thread Title.

MikeA

Sorry! I did not mean to offend anyone. Perhaps I should stay away for a while