Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Let me make a prediction based on scientific research and analysis conceived and initiated by a self proclaimed Statisstition dealing primarily in Probabilities using the aggregate accumulation of permeations concerning the objective data collected from a statistical universe; somewhere beyond the Twilight Zone.

Let me add my thanks also, Mike. This was really fun and informative. I know you put a lot of hard work into it and I really enjoyed it. And I hope all the losers aren't too sad. I don't think it will hurt their careers any!

And let me say, I would have chosen the Beatles and the Eagles, too, so I'm glad they were left out of this particular 'exercise'. There would have been no point, as you said.

All in all, great job and good fun! Thanks to everyone that put in their 2 cents worth, too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

You guys overrate the effort required. Spreadsheets are wonderful creations, especially when you can us Subtotal Count functions <LOL>

Here's what it looks like after sorting and subtotaling. Takes three steps with one manual effort in placing the subtotal number in a column on one of the contestants' names. Then a final sort and this is what I get with the top list being what I "publish". Nothing to it.

The initials to the right are the initials of the voter so I can make corrections if someone changes their mind.

Bob Dylan 4 ev
    Elvis Presley 4 el
    Jimi Hendrix 2 ma
    Chuck Berry 1 pm
    Rolling Stones 1 Brooke

Bob Dylan cynd
    Bob Dylan LTLH
    Bob Dylan fp
    Elvis Presley IABAD
    Elvis Presley Maleah
    Elvis Presley ss
    Jimi Hendrix tbf

MikeA

As far as Elvis being "overrated".......aren't they all? I mean really? lol I think one could make that case for anyone if you're not exactly a fan in some way. If I spent the time typing it all out, there's something I could come up with for each of these that is overrated in some way. lol to me it just comes down to who has had the most longevity....the most influence....who had the most impact on the world around them? A lot of different factors....regardless of what I, personally, think about them. Because, like I said before, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "fan" of a lot of these. let's face, as has been said before......a big part of this is personal opinion and taste.....as hard as we try to avoid it

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

True Maleah. I don't own any music from the top 5 contenders... and yes, I believe we can all find reasons for any act to be overrated. Except the Beatles... and even then, I'm sure some would disagree.

I think another contributor to "some" acts success is their death. Really though, so many died young and then became immortalized through song... so would they still be considered awesome today had they lived? I don't know if anyone really has that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    As far as Elvis being "overrated".......aren't they all? I mean really? lol I think one could make that case for anyone if you're not exactly a fan in some way. If I spent the time typing it all out, there's something I could come up with for each of these that is overrated in some way. lol to me it just comes down to who has had the most longevity....the most influence....who had the most impact on the world around them? A lot of different factors....regardless of what I, personally, think about them. Because, like I said before, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "fan" of a lot of these. let's face, as has been said before......a big part of this is personal opinion and taste.....as hard as we try to avoid it
    I'm not sure to which statement you were making reference to in regards to Elvis being "overrated". I said something about him being "underrated" because of his contributions to "VIDEO" when I equated his movie stardom to Rock Music Videos.

Oh, in the post before your's, I said something about efforts being "overrated" but I was talking about MY efforts in tabulating the voting results.

Elvis is or was Elvis. Someone who could not be ignored. He wasn't <smile>

MikeA

Mike, it was a response to my comment. I said earlier, isn't Elvis overrated, just a wee bid, maybe?

It's kind of fun to read about Elvis. He wasn't a song writer though he has credit for one song that someone gave him the rights to so he could buy a car for his mother with the proceeds. He wasn't an accomplished musician with any musical instrument except for his voice (and that was definitely an "instrument").

He wasn't much of an actor though he appeared as the Star in 33 motion pictures.

He didn't even invent his "style" according to what I've read. He was told by Sam Phillips of Sun Records what he wanted. Elvis couldn't do it but in that same session during a break, he and the session musicians started playing around and Phillips did record that because it was exactly what he was looking for ("That's All Right Mama"). Presley was in the right place at the right time and let's face it, that's how about half of the early stars got their start!

Even his signature gyrations on stage began as stage fright...nerves. But they were in tune with his developing confidence and he incorporated them and was known as much for those antics on-stage as much as anything else. Along with the "outlandish" costumes he wore, his longer than normal slicked-back hair and long sideburns, his style became iconic. Add to that a voice and attitude that was incomparable, and a star was born.

His voice: I'll give him FULL PROPS for this. When he sang something, ANYTHING, he put EVERYTHING he had into it. No one has ever squeezed emotion from a tune like Elvis Presley...NEVER. Think of some of the ballads and love songs he sang like "Love Me Tender". Well, draw your own conclusions, but if he didn't invent the term "Sex Symbol" he certainly epitomized it.

So, with no other criteria that quality of voice and presentation, he certainly is deserving of consideration.

After going this far with the "contest", I've come to the conclusion based on the things that impress each of us who have stated reasons for our selections, that there are three sub-categories and I may have mentioned only two before:

Songwriting, to which I gave Dylan an unqualified checkmark. He broke the barriers of what could and couldn't be stated in music and turned it into a tool for mass communications as well as entertainment. Thank God he did that! I was sick of hearing songs about "First Love", "First Kiss" and "Itty Bitty Yellow Poka Dot Bikinis!" The traditional Folkies were doing some of that but few cared. They weren't that popular. How many of you ever heard of the Women Folk? Not many I'll bet, yet they were one of the more popular Folk groups along with Peter, Paul & Mary, Trini Lopez and the Kingston Trio. I'm talking about back in the late 50's and early 60's. And that's where Dylan "exploded". He was basically a Folkie with acoustic instruments and then he "plugged in" to the grief of a lot of his fans. Then started the Folk Rock movement for which CSNY became known.

Presentation for which I'd have to go with Presley. Good grief, with a new genre, attempts to appeal to both Black and White audiences (and for a long time, people didn't know whether he was Black or White!) and an artist with nothing much to offer except his incredible voice and presentation, and "unique appearance", no one else comes close. Not the Beatles, not the Stones, not the Who...NOT NOBODY!

Then there are the Technical innovations which I'll give to Hendrix and won't elaborate on AGAIN.

All three of these people in their own way, more than anyone else EVER in my own opinion, eclipsed the rest of the entries on our lists. And to be quite honest, at the risk of my reputation and neck should any of you learn where I live (I'll send you my address <LOL>), I'd go so far as to say that these three MMFs (Major Musical Factors!) outshine even the Beatles and Eagles. There, I said it. I think that between these three, foundations were laid that changed music forever.
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-21-2009 at 04:10 PM.

MikeA

There is no one who is going to perfectly meet everyone's idea of what the "Greatest" should be. Not all singers can write good songs. Not all talented musicians can write songs. Not all songwriters can sing. Not all songwriters are master musicians. Even that is subjective; who has a "Great" voice? Some people love Dylan's sound, but his voice makes my ears bleed. What makes an innovator? Doesn't every "new" idea have a precursor that led to it, that inspired it? How do we judge? What do we prioritize in terms of criteria? Is any one or two criteria more legitimate than the others? There is no "right" answer to these questions.

So, in the end, you gotta go with your gut.

ELVIS FOR THE WIN!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I think You're right Nancy. I was editing post #47 when you posted the one before this one.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

ELVIS FOR THE WIN!
    Or Dylan... Aren't we currently at a tie?