Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kid friendly Rock n Roll songs

Default Re: Kid friendly Rock n Roll songs

I can't lie about it. When I was a kid, I certainly didn't think my parents...okay, my Mother...was being fair about music. And maybe she wasn't. There was no music in our house other than what came out of my transistor radio for years and years and the only music Mother approved of was Church Hymns sang from the "Official" Hymnal <LOL>

What that meant was that I had to get pretty good at clandestine listening when at home. Later, when I started driving, I had to remember to put the radio back on the channel that carried the Cardinals Baseball Games!

To my credit, I never got caught listening to Blues stations at night when in bed with my head under the pillow with the Transistor held tightly to my ear and nothing but the 3' long telescoping antenna sticking out touching the window screen beside my bed.

Maybe that instilled in ME a paranoia about letting some people really know who I am and what I do. To this day I still hide things that I do from my Mother! You'd think I'd have grown out of that in 60 years <LOL>

But MY philosophy in raising my own kids and in my relationship with my grandson has been that MUSIC is what I want them to listen to....AND....get involved with as deeply as their inclination leads them! If it is Church Music, that's good. If it's "Itsy Bitsy Spider" or "Rock A Bye Baby", that's okay too. If it's good ole Rock or Blues (oh, how I wish I'd inspired Blues in my Kids!), that's okay also as long as it isn't teaching a 3-yr-old to spout off foul lyrics when attending a Church Service or embarrassing their parents and more importantly, learning to Curse or grow up thinking popping a cap in someone's posterior it the Socially Acceptable thing to do!

But that is NOT what this thread is about. It is about suggesting songs that can be given by someone who isn't making those character developing decisions about their own children, but rather trying to provided something that will not be perceived as detrimental by the parents of the children to whom the gift of music is being given.

To that end, I do apologize for hijacking the topic to rant and rave about Miles to me in whom the sun rises and sets! <smile>.

And Nancy, you are not being "judgmental". You are just trying to honor the true nature of the request being made.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Gosh guys--sorry I asked, didn't mean to start so much controversy.

Thanks for the input from everyone and I don't think there is any right or wrong here. What might work for one family might not work for another. We did it our way, and so far so good, our children are well adjusted young adults (thank you Nancy for the compliment) and have caused us no heartache as of yet. Hopefully that will stay that way. I know Nancy and she is a very wonderful person and she was raised another way in regards to music. Again, no right or wrong way here! We are all different.

EL-as for your comment- WOW--what's that saying, don't judge till you walked a mile in my shoes? All I can say is contact me in 15-20 years when you are raising your own children and let me know how it's going.

Molly--I had just thought of Henry The VIII right before I read your reply and FP--love the Magic Bus idea!! This cd could end up to be 5 or 6 cds a piece for the kids! So many great ideas!! Thanks again everyone.

Mike & Molly--your personal stories about Miles and Tom just cracked me up. I could definitely see Dillon or Katie singing a whole song at that age (appropriate or not) and the whole pork chop as a gun had me in stitches!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Spoken by a true kid.

What's that mean? If you consider 19 a kid, wow.

TBF - what about Celebration (Kool and the Gang) I loved that song as a kid! There's one called "L-O-V-E", by Nat King Cole, that has been used in movies (I'm specifically thinking of the remake version of the Parent Trap)

haha...my kids listen to new versions of The Tide is High etc...how many times I tell them "you know that a remake of a70/80's tune"...I usually add "because we had GOOD music!"

~Tonja~

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    What's that mean? If you consider 19 a kid, wow.
    lol - I didn't know you were 19 - that explains SO much now...

~Tonja~

I didn't mean to come out as judgmental, I was just saying my opinion.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Sounds to me like you've gotten quite a good list together, TBF! And it sounds like you won't have to worry about the parents asking you why you put a certain song on there!

My kids grew up listening to most all kinds of music-heavy on the Eagles, of course! I didn't really try to censor too much. I guess from the way we raised them that they knew what was appropriate and what wasn't. I did object to my daughter listening to Def Leppard once. I'm sure she just did it when I wasn't around though! Then a few years ago, hubby and I got the chance to go see DL in concert (and I really love some of their music now!) and when I told her about it she couldn't believe that we had gone to see a band we wouldn't let her listen to when she was a kid! I said we were all grown ups now! Anyways, both of my kids have managed to turn out to be nice, well-adjusted adults!

Back when they were itty bitty, though, I had to have a talk with my Dad about his cussing in front of them because they tended to pick that up!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Sorry, but I have to comment, even if it is hijacking... it's not cencorship when it's your own children... it's called parenting. Parents have to make choices for their kids all the time. There is NO way I'd want my kids listening to eminem! I enjoy his music, but not appropriate for young children. I'm sorry, I don't remember who said it above, but I think that some music is a good communication starter for certain topics. Something they hear in a song and don't understand gives the parent an opportunity to discuss sex, violence ect and give their children their views on the topic.

In any case, it's not censorship when it's your own kid.

TBF, I think you have a good list to choose from. Those are catchy songs and will surely have the kids parents going nuts singing Henry VIII over and over! LOL

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Gosh guys--sorry I asked, didn't mean to start so much controversy.

Thanks for the input from everyone and I don't think there is any right or wrong here. What might work for one family might not work for another. We did it our way, and so far so good, our children are well adjusted young adults (thank you Nancy for the compliment) and have caused us no heartache as of yet. Hopefully that will stay that way. I know Nancy and she is a very wonderful person and she was raised another way in regards to music. Again, no right or wrong way here! We are all different.
    Willie - no need to apologize here. This has been an interesting discussion. Fortunately, most members on this board are mature enough to participate in an adult conversation and understand how to respectfully disagree with someone else.

With regard to what we consider kid-friendly music, as this discussion has proven, there is more than one way to "skin a cat", but let me just say, I pity the poor parent who doesn't try to censor some of what their children do. After all, isn't parenting all about setting boundaries and providing guidance? As some wise men once sang "teach the children well"!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    TBF, I think you have a good list to choose from. Those are catchy songs and will surely have the kids parents going nuts singing Henry VIII over and over! LOL
    Oh GOD! Henry VIII would drive me NUTS! <LOL> I didn't teach that one to my kids, but they both heard it somewhere and rattled it off for months!

"One Eyed One Horned Flyin Purple People Eater"

"Itsy Bitsy, Tinny Wennie Yellow Poka Dot Bikini"

Folk Music...or some of it is okay I think:

"Puff The Magic Dragon" (supposedly drug related but today, I still can't see where!

"Mercedes Benz" Teaches economic value and priorities <LOL>

"Woops, There Goes Another Rubber Tree Plant"

"Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" evolution <LOL>

MikeA